MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 09 March 2011, 14:27
dakmonf
Just call me: dakmon

Alberta
Canada
Brad;

Again thanks. I will go give it a try right now. I will post if I encounter any difficulties but that seems straight forward.

Greg
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 15:41
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
All seems well except I am not sure how to turn on the router using Mach. I am able to manually turn "on" the contactor and the router responds but I am unable to get it to respond via Mach. I am going to diagnostics and trying spindle toggle yet this may not be the correct method to test.
I believe that I have the ports & pins set up correctly with Output 1 enabled at port 1 pin 17.

Greg
Old Wed 09 March 2011, 16:33
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I'm pretty sure the PMDX manual said that the relay (and the LED) are on pin1 (Strobe). Not on pin 17.
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 04:22
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Brad;

I tried pin 1 as well, but still no response. I will re-check the wiring later today.

Thanks

Greg
Old Thu 10 March 2011, 05:39
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Okay, so the PMDX docs seem to indicate there's an LED on the PMDX for pin 1. If the LED is toggling, and not the router, then look for a wiring problem. If the LED is not toggling, you have a software config issue.
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 09:15
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Unfortunately nothing I have tried has worked. I have wired as you suggested Brad yet I cannot get the relay to energize.
In the PMDX manual it states;

"In order to energize the relay, a "0" must be written to the parallel port control register"

I have searched on how to do this but I am very confused by the literature. Can anyone please guide me in the right direction.

Thanks as always.

Greg
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 09:26
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Greg, is the LED on the PMDX toggling on and off, or not? We need to know whether to help with the wiring, or with the software config. If it's the wiring, maybe post a picture. If it's the software config, maybe post a screen shot of the pin configuration page.
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 09:28
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Brad; No, it is not toggling. The output 1 light in Mach 3 does toggle, but not the light on the board. I will post pics asap.

Greg
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 09:40
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Okay, so it's a software problem. Check out page 10 of this guide; it appears that you need to both set up the spindle to output 1 on the spindle setup page, and map output 1 to pin 1 on the output signals page.
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 09:47
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Brad here are my settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (122.8 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (120.2 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (115.7 KB, 463 views)
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 10:06
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
That all looks right to me. I think you need to call tech support at PMDX and get them to walk you through to the point that the LED on the board toggles on and off.
Old Sat 26 March 2011, 10:09
dakmonf

Alberta
Canada
Thanks for all the help Brad. I will call on Mon.

Greg
Old Sat 29 October 2011, 04:25
casi
Just call me: veni

prishtin
Serbia
Are there any other alternative that replaces the SSR
Old Tue 24 February 2015, 09:06
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Hi Guys, It's been a while.

During my build I had trouble getting my SSR going so I just wired 5v directly to it and used my safety switch near the router to turn on/off the router.

I thought I'd re-visit the problem. I'm starting to think the problem is with the BOB not the SSR. I have the SMD LED on J8 port 14 of the BOB toggling on/off with the spindle toggle button but don't get 5v out only 2v which isn't enough to trigger the SSR.

Also the LED on pin 17 is lit and I don't know why.
Old Tue 24 February 2015, 12:04
digit
Just call me: Dominic

Quebec
Canada
If you disconnect SSR from BOB, do you still get 2V or you now have 5V ?
Old Tue 24 February 2015, 13:12
gmessler

Chicago IL
United States of America
Actually I only measured it with the SSR disconnected. I did connect it to the SSR but the 2v wasn't enough to turn it on.
Old Tue 24 February 2015, 14:12
gmessler

Chicago IL
United States of America
Well, after working with this for a while I decided to give PMDX a call.
As it turns out because I have a regulated 5v out (from my Antek) it should be feeding the 122 NOT to the GND and Pwr Alt in terminals but the GND and the +5 Aux OUT terminal. It does sound counter intuitive but everything works great now!!
Old Tue 07 January 2020, 18:43
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
I was wondering if anyone had an updated post on doing this? Gerald's original called for a pmdx-122, and I know most are using a pmdx 126 (as am I). I was hoping someone could give direction on what pins and ports they used physically as well as in mach 3/4.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read