MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 January 2012, 10:36
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Building an Enclosure

So, as I was looking around the shop, I realized that I have a fair amount of 14ga steel available from other projects that I'm not using. And my friend has a rather nice MIG welder. So, my question is...

Am I totally insane to be considering building my own enclosure? The main issue I see is the poured in place gasket, which I'm still scratching my head over how to do that, but I think a rubber gasket could be fairly easily installed.

Am I really insane? Should I just shell out the $310 for a Nema 12 20x20x9 enclosure and sub plate?
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 10:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Not insane....smart.
You don't need to be crazy sealed up, just use simple weather strip as your gasket and make an enclosure.

14ga will be a very HEAVY box, but just dandy.

Have fun building.
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 10:59
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Or I can sell you a 20x20x10 NEMA4/12 with a back plate for $190.00 plus shipping.
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 11:02
Zouave

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Okay, I suppose having a full 3-D model of a Weigmann enclosure will help me along on this endeavor...

So now, pimp out my control box. What features should I add, since I'll be building my own and can do whatever I jolly well please.

Quarter twist locks in the corners, padlock in the middle.
E-stop button.
Power switch (with lock-out)
LED status lights.

Anything else? Plexiglass/real glass front panel inset to see what is going on inside?
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 11:09
Zouave

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Mike, I just saw your control box on your site. What gauge is the box and back panel?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read