MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 05 May 2010, 12:15
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Collets for the milwaukee 5625 router

I have the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" collets for my router, but I would like the metric collets as well. Is there anyone out there that has the part numbers for the metric collets?
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 19:06
Hillbillie
Just call me: Larry

Paragould, AR
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfinder1 View Post
I have the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" collets for my router, but I would like the metric collets as well. Is there anyone out there that has the part numbers for the metric collets?
I am fixing to purchase this router. Where did you purchase the 3/8" collet?

Sorry, I couldn't find any metric collets for this router.
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 20:17
dragonfinder1

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
The 3/8" collet is Milwaukee pn 48-66-1000. Amazon has this for about $17.25, From Milwaukee it costs $ 26.45 + shipping. The nuts are 44-40-0095. At Amazon they are $ 16.26, from Milwaukee they are $3.60 ( yup $3.60 ). The same nut fits all collets, If you are going to do a lot of tool changes, I do a lot of tool changes, you should have on hand, two of each collet that you use. It's a bad deal to have to wait two weeks for a collet when your in the middle of a project, I know. You will probably break a 1/4" collet, I have broken two, the nuts wear out, so I bought 6 at a time, you can swap the collet nuts from one collet to another, but that's how I broke one collet.
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 02:24
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Dave,

Thanks for the collet numbers.

I think you are thightening you collet nut too tight. Collets do not break that easy. Unless you are tightening the nut to tight. I would suggest that you make them snug or apply a little less pressure. Also check that you are cleaning the nut to remove the build up of dust. Also the nuts do wear out but it sounds as though they are wearing out too quickly.
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 08:17
dragonfinder1

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Nils

You would have to define too quickly, yesterday I did 30+ tool changes. All with the same 1/4" collet. I broke one collet removing the collet nut to put it on a 3/8" collet and the another one I broke when I dropped it.

I've done many hundreds of tool changes, yes I do need an automatic tool changer. I thought I would get one from B.C. but it looks like that was just a good idea that never worked out. The cost of a complete system is, right now, out of reach for me.
Old Thu 06 May 2010, 08:47
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Dave,

I have been using my router for two years and I have not broken any collets. The number of tool changes you make is not the issue. I believe it is how tight you are tightening the nut. If the nut is too tight the collet is going to break. With as many changes as your are making, that additional pressure is going to make it worse if you are tightening the nut too tight.

One thing I would do is call tech support at Milwaukee and tell them that you are breaking collets and see what they have to say. I think they will tell you that you are tightening the nut too tight.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read