MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 31 December 2008, 10:42
DenisCasserly
Just call me: Denis

Vancouver
Canada
rail grinding - does the wheel need adjustment as it wears?

Hello fellow MM builders,
season's greetings and happy new year to all of you. I'm making a rail grinding skate based on JR's skate and have a question regarding wear on the grinder wheel. Does the wheel position need to be adjusted continually as it wears down while doing the grinding operation? Perhaps someone has already addressed this concern but I must have missed it in the forum. I'm thinking that as the wheel would wears out it won't cut as deeply or consistently. Do users reposition the wheel on the fly to compensate for wear out?
regards,
Denis
Old Thu 01 January 2009, 06:33
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Denis, I presume you mean for the 45 degree grinding? In this case, the wheel has nearly zero wear. In fact, the wheel becomes glazed (blocked) and the grinding efficiency is severely reduced. To solve this, you can put on new wheels, or you can use the adjusting screws of the skate to cause an angle between the wheel and the rail, so that only one edge of the wheel is doing all the work.

The guys do adjust the screws on the fly, mainly to start with an aggresive angle and to finish with a flat glazed disc that does little cutting.
Old Thu 01 January 2009, 14:20
jeffh
Just call me: Jeff #21

Bellingham WA
United States of America
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffh
Hi Denis,

I actually have an extra laser cut skate kit because I ordered two complete
sets of laser cut parts from Joe in Alabama. I'll give it to you if you want it
(Complete with bearings but I don't have any extra eccentrics for it).

I certainly don't need two of them.

I'm just south of you in B-Ham, WA.

I understand if you want to build your own though. The thrill of the build
is worthwhile in many respects.

Good to know someone else is starting a build in this area. Good luck!

Cheers!

-Jeffh
Old Mon 12 January 2009, 21:19
DenisCasserly
Just call me: Denis

Vancouver
Canada
Hi Guys, computer packed it in for awhile but I managed to get a skate together. Thanks for the information on the grinding wheel wear Gerald. Thanks for the offer of the free skate parts Jeff. I made an aluminum skate and used 6002 bearings for all the rolling parts. I will test it out tomorrow.
regards,
Denis

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read