MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 06 June 2010, 01:33
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
R 25 000.00 not R 95 000.00.

Watter cutting file nou weer...ek is oud en vergeet gou
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 04:17
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
R95 000 dit is wat dit my kos hier in my wereld, toemaar dan maak ek maar een met die hand soos in die ou dae
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 05:29
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Ok hoeveel BirdsEye Maple moet ek vir jou bring...bargain teen R65 000.00 / cub

Praat jy van die viool. Ek werk nog aan die files, maar sal jou stuur wat ek het sover.

The inside of the violin I will still make by hand as the thickness in certain areas are very important. I have an easy way by drilling the depth in areas then chissel it out.

Look at the book ... Violin Making by Bruce Ossman 2nd edition.ISBN 978-1-56523-435-2

Groetnis
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 07:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Does anybody here have a g-code file that can do this ? Or can assist in greating it. I am not lazy, but if old BBB can cut something, I would like to give him the opportunity to do so. This scroll on the one side took me all afternoon to carve by hand...and it's not perfect.

DSC01296.JPG
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 07:33
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I could make the file for you just give me the measures or a dxf.

can you use stl files ? (binary or ascii)
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 08:40
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
this is just a quick one, I am still not very good at creating reliefs

still have to find a way to make it more realistic
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 08:53
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Wow Danilo, wish I could do THAT.

Please have a look at http://zhurnal.lib.ru/m/muratow_s_w/violin_design.shtml

Should find all the measurements there.

I also have PDF files that I made from the book by Bruce Ossman

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sun 06 June 2010 at 09:04..
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 09:14
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I envy you for doing a violin.It seems it was on your bucket list also.The big question is if one can build a violin can one play it.Man I would like to learn how to play it
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 09:27
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Dankie
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 10:13
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
my try
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viool.jpg (9.4 KB, 1083 views)
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 12:43
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok, more pictures to help you...

image scroll1.jpg

image scroll left front.jpg
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 20:17
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
maybe its time for new point of view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5eYhpBtQc
Old Mon 07 June 2010, 05:16
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Don’t want to be an “ass” or off topic, by my 2 cents opinion….
"This scroll on the one side took me all afternoon to carve by hand...and it's not perfect
That is part, an important part that is of what is considered “art” and should be.....in some sense ! Robert
Old Mon 07 June 2010, 07:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Yes I agree, but I am lazy and impatient and if technology can help me I am for it....it is like woman giving birth with pain medicine these day's. They say if it is available, GIVE IT TO ME!
Old Tue 08 June 2010, 21:16
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
....it is like woman giving birth with pain medicine these day's. They say if it is available, GIVE IT TO ME!
I think if they had the option they would surely use a BabyMate to pregnant
a baby for them the whole 9 months instead of getting fat
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 08:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
THERE is LIFE after GECKO

Well I decided to jump into the deep-end and try something different. These little UIM24004 drivers that Mr. Tiger advertised caught my eye. Hennie and myself decided to give it a go. Brought in a couple drivers and went through HELL with our Customs and DHL. Ended up waiting 10 day's for delivery and R 1091.00 extra for taxes etc. But that is another story.

These things are SMALL or is it small ?

DSC01307.JPG

At the back the motor terminals

DSC01306.JPG

Come in a box with screws, heat sink compound and a flange. I asked for all the available flanges to test. In future will use the middle size one. It give some space for the wires to clear the unit when mounted on the heatsink.

DSC01302.JPG

The first Gecko removed and the UIM online for testing.

DSC01297.JPG

Then when I was happy that it works I drilled and tapped new 3mm holes and mounted them all on the ALU heatsink. Used connecting blocks as the terminals are VERY small and I did not want to modify my existing setup too much.

DSC01304.JPG

Ran it of a HP power supply as I am still waiting for my new transformer.

Set up the driver for 1/16 step, did some changes in Mach3 and here is the proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYZuWw3SwkY

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 12 June 2010 at 08:42..
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 08:56
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
You can post mine when you are ready,I would try and trash them on MM 23 B with some box cutting.Kobus do you have some Q20.
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 09:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
net vaseline
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 09:25
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I am following this with great interest.
Is this new driver cheaper? What makes it more attractive than the Gecko drive?
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 12:15
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
What makes it more attractive than the Gecko drive?
I will drive to the post office in my Chinese pickup to go and fetch my parcel.

Watch this space, I want to test it some more when I receive my new transformer....then make it work hard to see if it can keep up and then if I am 110% happy that it can keep on driving a MechMate then maybe you will be able to buy it at a good price from a frindly MechMate owner.
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 13:37
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
are you confident that signal levels will travel from you breakout board all the way to the motors noise free? Thats my main doubt.
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 14:20
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pablo,

I don't have experience with these stepper, but knowing my electronics a bit, the frequency shouldn't be a problem.

Techniques to 'transfer' digital information is done already for ages, and the 50Khz + some harmonics can be easily transfered through audio cables.
Important with digital signals is to match input and output impedance of the driver (BoB) and receiver (Stepper motor driver) to prevent reflections in the cable. But again, at these low frequencies this isn't a problem.

It has crossed my mind also to just have one power cable to the MM, and then the drivers on the MM. I didn't opt for that because nobody did it yet .
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 16:31
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

What do you feel you have gained by changing out your Geckos for the UI Robot Drives besides price?

Thanks
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 19:54
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Pablo,
Kobus has them mounted in his control box just like the geckos. So they are acting just like the geckos with short step and dir signals.
Kobus, are you planning on mounting them on the steppers at a later date?
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 20:25
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Kobus

Nothing like an experiment to prove if something works or not.
I see you have the plate to mount the driver on the stepper in the photos you posted so just let me know what I need to do to further encourage you into reckless experimentation at your expense and its done, haha.

Seriously though electronics can run hotter than some of the figures quoted on the forum, just take the SATA hard drives, CPU's and GPU's as an example.

Very interesting stuff - like the rest of em I'm watching too.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 20:38
uirobot
Just call me: robotdigg

Shanghai
China
Send a message via MSN to uirobot Send a message via Yahoo to uirobot
Hello Kobus, you can try it out mounting the driver directly onto your motors.
Old Sun 13 June 2010, 00:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok ok..looks like some people READ the posts but does not take it in..even with pictures

Thanks Heath for pointing it out again that I run as per my old setup with the drives IN my control box. Since I have a machine that does not generate income..only pleasure... I will put the driver ON the motor to prove the concept. Will get some wire this week and try it out.

Nils, don't get me wrong. The Gecko's are fantastic drives, but the MechMate concept is to build a professional working machine that is affordable. For the average Joe Soap this is an item where we can save some money to bring the total cost of the machine down. Why buy a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG to drive from A - to - B if you can also do it in a Mini... ok maybe not is the same class, but what the heck if it gets the job done WHY NOT.
Old Sun 13 June 2010, 03:45
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

I am not questioning any reason you are trying these. I am looking at what benefit they give besides the cost savings. Not critical from my side. I think it is a great idea to lower cost. Just like belt drive allow lower cost motors.

But you did not answer my question? Have you noticed any differnece in the way your machine runs with these? Is there a benefit besides cost?
Old Sun 13 June 2010, 04:54
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Nils as long as the router cuts along the x,y and z axis the way it is suppose to do then it doesn`t make any difference on the benefit`s compared to gecko`s. The main object is to save money on something that can generate an income.I am also going to test these on my machine and in my workshop I don`t see it as a hoby machine as it is quite capable of doing the job the same as more pricey cnc machines.The one thing that I can see as a benefit over the gecko`s is that I can always have a spare driver and if it packs up I can cuck it in file 13 and replace it without feeling pissed off at spending R 1500.00 ( in our currency) on a gecko that can also give troubles ( I have also lost one along the last year).
We still need to see if it will last but hey lets try them like the chinese stepper motors and spindles as untill now I havn`t seen any bad feedback from other builders.
Old Sun 13 June 2010, 06:46
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Using the step/direction version of these drivers and mounting inside the control box is indeed very similar to using Geckos, and eliminates the concerns raised (noise on long wires for the step and direction signals; heat from the motor and driver affecting each other; no Mach interface to CAN bus).

It does appear that the specifications of the UI Robot drives are closer to the G25x (used inside the G540, and also available standalone) than to the G20x drives - lower max voltage, for example.

So, based on the data so far, it appears that the key decision point would be shipping and customs costs and time to your location.

I'm curious as to the sound - certain early chopping microstepper drivers would make the motors "sing" at a high frequency when in operation. I assume that UIRobot doesn't have this issue as it hasn't been mentioned.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read