MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Mon 09 June 2008, 17:45
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Ed,

Not a problem.
Old Wed 11 June 2008, 20:38
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
McMaster Carr

Man, do I like McMaster Carr.

This company has it's act together. Their UPS Ground is so much faster than other's. McMaster's computerized system is so optimized that I can place an order in the evening, place another order the next day, and both shipments arrive in the same package.

I have placed thousand's of dollars with them and never had a problem. That's incredible considering the normal US business has shifted Quality Control to the customer.

I ordered "A bunch" of bits that will arrive this Friday. Oh, this is gonna be a great weekend.
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 18:16
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
Man, do I like McMaster Carr.

This company has it's act together. Their UPS Ground is so much faster than other's. McMaster's computerized system is so optimized that I can place an order in the evening, place another order the next day, and both shipments arrive in the same package.

I have placed thousand's of dollars with them and never had a problem. That's incredible considering the normal US business has shifted Quality Control to the customer.

I ordered "A bunch" of bits that will arrive this Friday. Oh, this is gonna be a great weekend.
I didn't initially chime in with a "me too" on the first post about McMaster but I am completely with you - this is a company that has it together. Their website is beyond amazing - I wonder if the folks at grainger.com will ever get a clue and model theirs after it. My experiences with their shipping mirrors yours - super fast (often the next day) and without all the fake mark-up on the shipping costs. Their products, while not always the cheapest are nearly always high quality and often "brand name". Their checkout process is super simple (the amazon.com "one-click-order" people need to order a few things from them to see what really easy ordering is about.) There isn't anything on their website that isn't necessary and everything that should be is - and fast too.

For anyone that hasn't ordered from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com), I highly recommend placing your next parts order with them.
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 21:12
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
I would love to order from them, but they don't ship to Canada ! They seem to have it well organized, you would think that shipping to Canada would not be that difficult. Thousands of other companies do it.

Paul
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 21:26
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
For the international builders,

McMaster is a reference site. Use it like a library. You can download drawings of fasteners, etc. You can get information on which bits/cutters are appropriate for cutting MDF/plastics/aluminum. There are speed/torque curves available. The information is endless.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 08:55
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I should have MechMate decals this evening!!!!!!

SA Flag decals should arrive next week.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 09:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
#7 is reserved for you Greg - just have to polish it up a bit . . . . .
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 10:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...oooh, Lucky 7!
Good job Greg..Thanks for keeping us all honest out here. I will drink a pint in your honor.

I will have to put up pictures of this weeks spoils. 44 sheets of 1/4" PVC plastic sheet. (1 bit with plenty of life left in it!) It's amazing to see how fast you can upload, change a sheet, cut and reupload a file. I got some of the table changes down to about 7 minutes a turn over. I felt like a Nascar tire changer this week.
...and it's only Tuesday.

The friendly bloke in Florida who Gerald has never met
Sean

Last edited by smreish; Tue 24 June 2008 at 10:33..
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 10:26
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I actually wanted number 13. I was born on the 13th, it's lucky for me, etc. but not waiting any longer. Taking off work early to pickup the MM decals.

I'll have a pint also when the decals are placed and a picture is posted.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 10:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
It's dinner time here - a glass of wine will be raised.

Suppose nobody will object if we keep 13 for you instead?
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 11:23
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Hold on ... let's follow proper protocol. No toasts until a picture is posted. The graphics shop may pull another stunt.

As for number 13 .... hmmmm .... that would be coool.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 11:37
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
That is the first time I have heard of someone ASKING for number 13.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 14:10
Jay W
Just call me: Jay

Atlanta, GA
United States of America
Greg,

Just wanted to say congrats on finishing your router. Your build has been very informative and I have enjoyed keeping track of your progress so far. Keep up the great work. One day I too will receive a serial number from Gerald D by crackey!!

Jay W
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 17:57
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
Hey Greg, I too would like to say congratulations on a superb build, and I am sure you'll have lots of fun on this thing in the future.

John
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 18:00
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Jay.
I truly hope that my documentation helps others in whatever small way.

Yep, number 13 it is. That logo on the glass is also very important. Cal Poly SLO.

I still have allot of cleanup to do. Waiting on McMaster order and that dust foot will be history. It worked excellent, but not very professional .

I have to say that this is a great CNC router design. I was skipping steps on the Y axis, (remember I've never operated a CNC machine before) but I made simple adjustments to the Y motor spring, and now my feed-rates are in the 200 ipm range (1/2 inch V bit, 10kRPM, 1/4 inch cut depth, MDF).

Logo Beer 2.jpg

Logo All.jpg
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 18:04
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Hey John,

Thanks. Let me know if I can help in your build.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 18:28
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
ahhh logo sweet logo. congrats again
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 18:30
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Sean,

I couldn't have done it without your help.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 20:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Greg & Karen!

It really is a pretty picture . . . only a layer of sawdust can improve it.

Tell me more about the Cal Poly SLO thing - that sounds like it is far away from where you are now?
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 21:01
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
Your to gracious. Now it's time to help Nils get building his machine. I think I am going to set up a nice work bench in the corner for him to start on his wiring project next week. It should be fun watching another MM get built in my shop. Keep the dust flying! I am already modifying my machine with some super special changes. I will post the changes when ready!
Have a nice night drinking with your Alma Mater. I assume you went to California Polytechnic Institute? Fine college....you have to be a super genius just to get in that place.......did they make an exception for you?
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 21:14
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
First ... Thank You (all posters) for the free Engineering services. I don't think people realize how much accurate, timely, and courteous information is available at this forum. This site can make you a wealthy person.

To quantify that point: A wise man once said, "wealth in not measured in dollars".

Now, on to Geralds question. Cal Poly SLO is the Engineering College I had the privilege of attending and receiving an Engineering degree. Cal Poly SLO stands for California Polytechnic, San Luis Obispo. Todays adventure is indeed a long way from my beginnings.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 21:18
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
I assume you went to California Polytechnic Institute? Fine college....you have to be a super genius just to get in that place.......did they make an exception for you?
Sean,

You don't know the half of it. When I stop laughing and wiping the tears, I'll respond.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 23:01
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Greg, fantastic looking machine you made there. At least you are making dust, I am still on the pen and paper level..fighting to get my 'designs' into Mach3 and on the correct position ready for the cut...but I will get it sorted soon...THAT is a promise.
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 23:08
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Greg,

The toast was very thoughtful. The picture on the wall combined with the toast indicate that you are a really cool "dude". I can't wait until we have either a worldwide convention or a "continental" convention and we all get to meet!

Well done! We need a builder in the St. Louis area so that we have a central location to get together. Or we all descend on Cape Town like a horde of locusts!

Anyway...

Well done Greg! (and Karen!)
Old Tue 24 June 2008, 23:32
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Greg wow!

Another Mechmate in one week!Look at the amazement on the face in the pictureHope you enjoyed that pint, congrats on your new addition to the family.Well done Karen & Greg
Old Wed 25 June 2008, 00:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, Greg is well-trained. My alma mater. . . . . which is in the center of our wine production area.
Old Wed 25 June 2008, 00:19
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Well done Greg, super build. Whats on the sign above your control panel?
Old Wed 25 June 2008, 00:22
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
See post #217
Old Wed 25 June 2008, 03:07
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

Congratulations on finishing your build and serial # 13!

Looks like there will be more serial numbers given out soon with the number of builds going on.

Thanks to the number of free parts that Sean had lieing around in his shop it will not take me long to finish my control box? I am waiting for one part that was not in the stack he had.

I hope to have my control box done by the end of next week.
Old Wed 25 June 2008, 07:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
Congratulations again on your lucky #13!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
It really is a pretty picture . . . only a layer of sawdust can improve it.
Gerald,
Do you mean the picture of the Mechmate or Your Picture?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts