MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 12 July 2010, 14:43
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
Harbor Freight welder

Has any one used the cheap Harbor Freight flux coated wire welder. If you have is it any good I just need to do some small welds on some light gauge steel and I don't think My stick welder will work but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a wire welder.
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 14:47
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Flux-cored wire welder. I have one, can't remember the model number at the moment (I happen to be in Madrid, which is one big party right now). HF has several flux core welders; post the five digit model number (probably beginning with 9) and we can help you evaluate.

I used a combination of a classic Lincoln 225AC stick welder and the HF unit, and I am not a skilled welder, and it worked out for me.
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 15:41
polishpickle

Medina
United States of America
It is a 98871 On sale for $89.99 7/15 - 1/18
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 06:14
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I don't have that one , but I have a small Miller 135 that does flux or gas. Fine size machine for MM work. Just make sure you get the replacement warranty with it just in case it dies.

My 135 usually works between 70 and 90 amps. Duty cycle is the most important thing.

(from here http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/dictionary.html)

Duty Cycle - The number of minutes out of a 10-minute time period an arc welding machine can be operated at maximum rated output. An example would be 60% duty cycle at 300 amps. This would mean that at 300 amps the welding machine can be used for 6 minutes and then must be allowed to cool with the fan motor running for 4 minutes.

Sooooo 10% duty cycle means you can weld at 80 amps for 1 minute and the machine needs a 9 minute rest before you begin again. The question will be how hard you have to push the machine to get a good bead. The Y car at its thickness will take less power to weld than the table base. A welder is only as good as its transformer. Miller owns Hobart ... Miller USA made ... Hobart China made... Same basic machines only differnces are made in china and smaller transformers...

But that is usally not an issue with us MM'ers because we like to weld a few inches, admire our work over a beer and repeat until passed out (just kidding) or finished .

Look at pawn shops or online... You may be able to spend a few more bucks and find a Miller or Lincoln used cheap.

Mike
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 12:59
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
But that is usally not an issue with us MM'ers because we like to weld a few inches, admire our work over a beer and repeat until passed out (just kidding) or finished
Man, I thought I was the only one...
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 20:15
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Something you should consider also is the availability of consumables and parts. I know for a fact that if you break a piece on the welders and you didn't opt for the 1 year warranty you will be waiting a month for most parts. With the 1 year warranty you bring in broken welder and get a new one on the spot. You can only do this 1 time after that you're S.O.L.

What is nice about Miller/Hobart Machines is that they have interchangeable parts. I have a Hobart 187 that even came with a Miller Mig Gun and a few other parts that have Miller stamped on them. For replacement parts I just have to go to any welding store, Tractor Supply/Northern Tool. Comes with a great warranty and is a solid machine. They have almost no plastic parts!

I know we are talking different ends of the spectrum as far as budget but if you could put the project off for a while and save for a nicer welder then I would do that.
Old Sat 17 July 2010, 17:21
polishpickle

Medina
United States of America
This welder isn't to build the mechmate it was to be used on a dog crate for my daughter's great pyrenees I made one for him before but he is destroying it so I wanted a heavy duty crate made out of steel tubing.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read