MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 13 December 2010, 15:48
asif3244
Just call me: Asif

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Diy Wheels Build your own

Hi all

Finding "V" wheels in some parts of the world is almost impossible for some diy builders, i am one of them, Because of import process difficulties, even one has to import most of the electrical parts such as motor & driver etc, if the parts can be available at one place then money dos not matter, but importing parts from many countries creates headache, i try to design diy wheels for those who even don't find a precision turning shops this is the only an idea i do not meant to alter in mechmate design,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (71.1 KB, 1500 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (77.3 KB, 1498 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (40.4 KB, 1490 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (63.4 KB, 1496 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (43.7 KB, 1492 views)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (26.2 KB, 1495 views)
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 19:32
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You should check with Rick at Superior bearing.

www.superiorbearing.com
rick@superiorbearing.com

See if he ships to you.

Tell him you are building a MechMate.

Others have built their own V-rollers. You will need to have bearings in the rollers.
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 23:09
asif3244

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Mike There is bearings see details in this image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Details.jpg (49.9 KB, 1475 views)
Old Tue 14 December 2010, 00:00
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
good idea!
Old Tue 14 December 2010, 00:56
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I have used rollers like this before. The hard corners of the bearings wear grooves into the rails, the depth depending on the number of moves. Getting an even wear pattern is a problem.
Old Tue 14 December 2010, 04:30
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Asif,
Worst case, if not available that is by Superiorbearing ( or equivalent) , have them made locally by a machine shop, as Mike suggest.
To second Gerald, I say this is an area witch you may NOT want to go lower quality than prescribe !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Tue 14 December 2010, 14:46
asif3244

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Robert
on the local turning other then cnc turning precision is not guaranteed, but in this design there is nothing to mill, as for wear as Gerald said above, that is very simple we have to chose the bearing type that has about one Milli tapper as in the image here or you can tapper yourself tapper about 1 to 1.5 Milli from the corner would be enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Details1.jpg (65.2 KB, 1438 views)
Old Tue 14 December 2010, 15:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
When others have turned their own V Wheels, there was much more contact area when seating on the V rails. I think you will still see too much wear with this little contact area.
Old Sun 22 April 2012, 15:08
Metalsmith
Just call me: Metalsmith

Jacksonville, Fl
United States of America
I would use a shoulder bolt if possible for the bearings to ride on and grind a bevel on the bearing with a spacer the width of the flat....in a production machine, maintaining the rails would be required...If you have the money, I am sure some V-wheels could be slipped into that skate board box someone sends you for you next Birthday present .... ; )))
Old Sun 22 April 2012, 22:32
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Asif,
From a naive view it seems as though the pressure will be sideways on the bearings used in the way you suggest. I imagine that this will lead to early wear and looseness.
Old Sun 22 April 2012, 23:26
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Just turn a V-wheel on a lathe, from any metal or hard plastic, Even the drawings are provided. . how hard can it be? if its too hard, than go buy a set.
Old Mon 23 April 2012, 01:20
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsmith View Post
I would . . . . grind a bevel on the bearing. . . .
You make this sound too easy.
Old Mon 23 April 2012, 05:39
Metalsmith
Just call me: Metalsmith

Jacksonville, Fl
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
You make this sound too easy.
If you can make a skate to grind bevels on rails you should be able to make a jig to grind a bevel on the bearing, if the material is there. Make a holder and roll with a gloved finger, cooling with air....

Then there is the rest of my statement... " in a production machine, maintaining the rails would be required... ; )
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 12:59
Mr Ron
Just call me: Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
Turn a ring with about a .125" wall thickness (thicker is OK).The ID of the ring will be a press fit with the bearing OD. One face of the ring will be beveled 45°. Two bearings with a spacer between combined will form onw V-groove bearing assembly. The ring can be anchored to the bearings' outer race with a liquid locking fluid (Loctite).
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 14:11
Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
Here is a sketch to illustrate what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fabricated V groove bearing.jpg (25.9 KB, 673 views)
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 14:25
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Reach out to rick at Superior Bearing. The V rollers are 13 bucks each and the ecentrics are like 2 bucks. He has a kit ready if you tell him it is a MechMate build. rick@superiorbearing.com
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 15:21
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I agree, if you live in North America, there is not much to gain by making your own V Wheels. Rick is great to deal with and ships fast. Making your own would only apply to people in countries where the V Wheels are not available.
Old Thu 28 June 2012, 23:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ron, have you previously posted at the MechMate forum under another username?
Old Fri 29 June 2012, 07:40
Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
No. Someone else posted a similar message over in a different forum that I wasn't aware of. My sketch is not unique.
Old Sat 30 June 2012, 09:56
Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_boards View Post
Asif,
From a naive view it seems as though the pressure will be sideways on the bearings used in the way you suggest. I imagine that this will lead to early wear and looseness.
I think you are quite correct in your observation. A vertical load on the bearing assembly, will create a compressive axial force at the top of the bearing and a tension axial force at the bottom of the bearing.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read