MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 07 February 2011, 09:01
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Photo is a bit small, looks more like Oak to me, that style of chair was usually done in Oak. Did you copy the carving on the back panel as well - that will be easy to produce with your Aspire I would imagine
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's for the input Allan. I thought that it could be Maple as it looks like the Flamed Maple I ordered for my violin. Yes the back piece is EASY to do with Aspire.
It does not look like the Oak that I have available right now.

DSC01655.JPG
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:05
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Looking at the fleck on the side of that arm, now convinced its Oak - the reason it does not look like the Oak you have now - because we dont get good Oak like that any more. Maple is much lighter in colour with not as big a difference between early and late wood (grain pattern).
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Alan. So this is REAL wood.....
Was a pleasure to work with...got a nice finish with furniture scrapers....did finish it with 3 coats of Woodoc-10 with Oak tint. Customer came to pick it up tonight...was very happy.
Old Mon 07 February 2011, 12:18
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
That looks like quarter sawn oak to me. Here in the states quarter sawn oak is very desirable.
Old Tue 08 February 2011, 11:26
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
English oak
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 05:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
At least I know what this is.....SABIE YELLOWOOD..aka pine...

Got an order to make 4 legs 860mm high...she did not want any 3D on it

But the customer is ALWAYS right.
DSC01657.JPG

DSC01658.JPG
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 08:00
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Especially if they are paying

Looking good.
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 09:39
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
nice Kobus how long did it take?
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 10:04
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
When I did my first 3d leg it took nearly 2 hours for roughing and 2 hours for final cut.
As I progress with Aspire and use the different tools in Aspire and because my indexer is dual purpose ( stepper and electric motors ) I brought it down to about 34 minutes for roughing and 34 minutes for final cutting. Just more than one hour per leg I would say....then some sanding.
Want to bring the time per leg down further.
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 21:19
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
Was that done with the circular saw heador the router? Have you tried the lathe mode with the router?

Nice work!
Old Sun 13 February 2011, 22:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This still with the router. I think I can speed up the process on turned stuff without 3D by using my little saw.
I have tried the lathe mode with the router long time ago before Aspire and 2 rail sweep.
At that time is was not working well, might give it another go. But remember the sawblade is only 2mm wide and the router bit is anything from 3 to 6mm.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sun 13 February 2011 at 22:09..
Old Mon 14 February 2011, 00:14
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Kobus - don't underestimate the sawblade - I am building one machine which I will post pics of soon with the saw blade and its fast - real fast (like the one JR had built)

and then watch this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWyZCWkpLcI
Old Mon 14 February 2011, 11:08
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Kobus,

My 2c worth: a saw blade is designed to cut radially. If you put it in a lathe, you are forcing it to cut on the side of the blade. If you speak to our friends at Leuco or Austro, they might have a special blade for an application like yours. This will considerably increase your cutting speed.
Old Mon 14 February 2011, 11:37
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Irfan...pity the video is so bad. Would like to see what his blade looks like.
Thank's Jan will check with them. When I did the first runs on that thing of mine I did notice that the blade is moaning a bit, but I slowed the feed speed down and it was ok, but then again the overall time of cutting goes up.
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 00:29
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I had a talk with a contact. Yellow wood R 2500 a cube The real thing
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 04:56
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I have personally used the 4.5" (100mm) diameter wood carving blade designed for side/front gullet cutting in this application. works very well and quick.
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 05:02
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Sean is that the WOODCARVING blade you can fit on a baby angle grinder? This is what I am looking at using now. I have one for Power Carving...a bit wide (3mm I think ) but will give it a try.

Ok Hennie when are you comming up with your truck ?
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 06:57
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Yep, that's the one Kobus. It is a bit wide, but when I need a really narrow profile, I use a slot cutting mill disk from by bridgeport metal milling which can handle the side load on the gullets.

I'll be honest, I haven't done this in about 5 years, but it worked great then.

I also used that wood carving disk, on a baby angle grinder, on my MM Z-axis to reproduce that WAVE pattern board that Gerald and Sean designed so many years ago. IT worked really well, but getting the toolpath to step-and-repeat so all the panels could be used end-to-end was a bugger!

Last edited by smreish; Tue 15 February 2011 at 07:00..
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 10:34
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
Kobus,
The guys from Leuco sell a hogger. Seems to be the right thing for you. It cuts radially and laterally.
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 10:48
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Jan whats a Hogger
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 12:15
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
As-salam alaykum!

kef halak?

http://www.leuco.co.za/product_pages...ts_hoggers.htm

Ma'a salama!
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 12:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Jan that LOOKS very very EXPENSIVE
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 14:21
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
It's from Leuco... it will be
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 22:03
Jan de Ruyter

Pretoria
South Africa
Well, if you don't ask, you will never know. If you have to ask, you can't afford.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

I've used Leuco blades for many years, resharpened them often and always had good service.
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 22:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I think old EL-CHEAPO me will first try my wood carving angle grinder blade that I already have before being dissapointed with a Leuco price.
Old Thu 17 February 2011, 07:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Look what arrived in the post today...All the way from Slovakia
Big Blue start your engines there are violins to be made.
DSC01659.JPG

DSC01662.JPG
Old Sat 19 February 2011, 08:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Had to do a small oval thing for an old lady. Had to be a St Joseph lily.
Found a nice one at http://www.3dmodelclub.com/cmsj15/ must say the quality of the final product was amazing...even on a small size like this.
DSC01664.JPG

Also busy with my PORTABLE CNC... pity it is not a MM, but I needed one that is small enough to take to my woodworkers association. As I am the South African agent for UIM Robot stepper drivers, I might just build a few for sale. Already a few members are showing interest.
DSC01667.JPG

Note..the wooden parts are just for getting it all sorted..As I cannot design in CAD, I build it this way, and will then have the parts made by a Laser Cutter.
Old Sun 20 February 2011, 02:03
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Waar het jy die rail blocks gekry?
Old Sun 20 February 2011, 08:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
He he he... my geheim. Hoeveel soek jy.. 20mm ok ? Praat net, ek het mos 'n besigheid

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read