MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 15 May 2010, 20:24
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
hey Guys,

today I have been working on my homing squence. I didn't had a lot of time this weekend so I thought it was going to be a nice little project.
I basically followed the instructions here. I am using the second method, where there is a search velocity and a latch velocity.
In short this means that EMC will find quickly (search velocity) the switch position, then goes back under search velocity like 5mm orso. Then goes under latch velocity to find the switch again, but slow and more precise.
This seems to work very nice and I get repeatable results when going back to my touch off location. For my homing switches I used the 'good old' micro-switches because they where really cheap here. I also had one sample of a proximity sensor, and when asking what 3 of these would cost it was 300USD, decision was made fast after that .

attached a couple of images of my work of today it will properly not win a beauty contest, but it's very functions and saves me from finding the 0,0 position of my project after a crash in one form or a other

Also attached my Mechmate files I use to make that screenshot for anybody that is interested. It's not a drop-in replacement for your current configuration file but it give you a solid idea how to make your own buttons and how to create a ladder diagram for special functions like to pause buttons (single press start/stop), how to use autoZ and how to attach your own buttons to MDI commands.

I hope you like it.

Ries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emcscreenshot.jpg (70.1 KB, 3350 views)
File Type: jpg switch1.jpg (40.3 KB, 1610 views)
File Type: jpg block.jpg (33.5 KB, 1609 views)
File Type: jpg switch2.jpg (33.0 KB, 1612 views)
File Type: jpg touchtool.jpg (28.8 KB, 1617 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip emc2.zip (12.3 KB, 49 views)
Old Mon 23 August 2010, 23:43
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Nice stuff.
I pop your files in my EMC2 & find your custom panel really interesting, but since I had yet to install home switches so I really can't play with your features.
Question, what is the Rotate Orientation for?
I had a go at the pyVCP & classicladder. its been a while since I started and still climbing the learning curve...
Old Tue 24 August 2010, 22:13
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Ken,

the Orientation buttons is a new feature of EMC (supported by G-Code). It simply allows you to re-orientate the CNC files. This can be handy under some situations. For example if you setup the design vertical, but at your machine it turns out that the wood clamps better horizontal. THis is in EMC2 2.4 or 2.5 (I forgot).

Classic Ladder is really cool!! it's amazingly powerfull, the auto-z is designed with CL.
Old Sun 29 August 2010, 05:55
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Have you moved on to Ubuntu 10.04?

I can see the use of the position orientation feature it is ground breaking, a part from this are there other significant difference between EMC2_2.3.4 & 2.4 or 2.5?
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 06:22
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Ken,

I did follow this with half a eye and I didn't see a need to update yet. Properly partly because I don't use ubuntu but I compiled my own kernel and version of EMC on Debian. And since my MM is in a location without internet which makes it harder to do this task.

I do, however feel that if you have the chance to upgrade, you should do it. De 2.5 version of Axis coems with a patch I created
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 07:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks for your generous offer. I know who to look for when I decided to go that way
You made software customisation look so simple
I have to admit I'm completely useless with Linux (and a lot more systems) after I put my leg into EMC2...I'm still scaling the software learning curve... before I could get comfortable with the version in-hand, many new releases had went by...
IMHO, advantage of sticking to LTS release is that the documentation, teaching aids & forum help are easily available, in such that I don't have to haunt my friends to answers my questions

I get advise like yours from other friends, they did mentioned Ubuntu is overly tweaked... but for now, as I don't even know what tweak is... I will stick with Ubuntu 8.04LTS until either EMC2_2.4 + Ubuntu 10.04LTS realease in live Disc or I feel confident to go Dabien 2.5.
BTW, out of curiousity, does De 2.5 handle multicore processor?
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 08:05
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
<chuckle> Enthusiasts in any field always disparage the mass-market solutions. It's hard for an enthusiast (myself included) to remember that others just want a tool to get a job done.

Stick with the stable standard release until you have a specific need to upgrade and you'll save yourself some headaches. There will be hot-rodders screaming down the street in sexy looking vehicles, but theirs won't be as reliable as yours.

As for customization, you can do a lot of that without having to be an expert. Learn how to maintain more than one configuration (easy, just create two or more), and you can then play without worrying.

The standard linux kernel has handled multiprocessor systems for well over a decade. Multicores are a variant of multiprocessors with different packaging, and they are also supported by pretty much all Linux flavors. However, if we're speaking specifically of interrupt driven machine control applications like EMC, the benefit gained from the extra cores can be minimal. So, yes, all Debians handle multicore processors seamlessly.
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 22:38
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Ken,

I didn't want to make the feeling that you should upgrade, but if you have the change (and also confortable with it) then it's ok, there are no strange bugs or what so ever with EMC 2.4 or 2.5, I thought THAT (are there any bugs..) was the tone of yoru questions. Sorry I did mis-understood you.

I am also just on 2.3 still because it works 2.5 only contains apatch I made that will confirm if you really want to re-home, if you pressed that button by accident.

2.5 is only really nice if you really want to rotate you workpiece. It's actually just a g-code, that should also work on Mach3.

Ries
Old Tue 31 August 2010, 01:23
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm View Post
<chuckle>
The standard linux kernel has handled multiprocessor systems for well over a decade. Multicores are a variant of multiprocessors with different packaging, and they are also supported by pretty much all Linux flavors. However, if we're speaking specifically of interrupt driven machine control applications like EMC, the benefit gained from the extra cores can be minimal. So, yes, all Debians handle multicore processors seamlessly.
Brad, thanks for the explanation. I admit my knowledge in this thingy that I don't even know what to ask to get to this answer. Now I know. Thousand thanks

Ries, you has always been helpful, the problem is with me, I just don't know enough to ask intelligent questions on the subject...
Thanks for being patient with my idiotic questions.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 06:33
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Ken,

not a problem at all... I sometimes have the tendency to be to technical to, stick with the version of EMC you are comfortable with, I am using a 2.3 version without problems at all.

Ries
Old Sat 11 September 2010, 21:59
rallen71366
Just call me: Russ

Lebanon, MO
United States of America
New EMC2 Live CD based on Ubuntu 10.04

Hello, this is my first post in the forums here, but I just wanted to let you know that there is a new release of EMC2 out. http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/

It's based on Ubuntu 10.04 and EMC 2.4.x

I'm currently building a desktop mill to "get a feel", but looking forward to building my own MM (in obligatory blue ).
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 18:47
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
hello Russ,

I think EMC and Axis are quite awesome! I follow the development fairly close and I think the guys at EMC are doing a really nice job. So far, EMC didn't fail on me, and each time I start my old laptop, teh system works very smooth.

If you want to get a feel, but you are confident, why not build a MM from start, given that you want one it's really not at all that hard, and with the help from all teh people on this forum we can tackle the problems.
Old Sun 12 September 2010, 21:19
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Hi Russ,
I second Ries's suggestion, building a MM takes about the same work of any other "get a feel" machine.
Old Mon 13 September 2010, 21:19
rallen71366
Just call me: Russ

Lebanon, MO
United States of America
I'd love to, except for 2 small things. Money and Time. I'm literally building this first "machine" with junk from the scrap pile. Old PC, pieces of bed rail for linear slides, etc... If you can find me a 26 hour day, I'll gladly take a case of them.

On the plus side, this first pile of junk can help me make money to make the next machine. Got to walk before you can run, eh?
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 13:56
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
hello!

I am looking for somebody in holland that can make me the belt reduction plates and may be also deliver the appropriate additional items like the belt and the pinions (forgot there names in English, timing belt?).

Anybody knows a person i can call or who can make these?

Cheers,
Ries
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 17:07
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Hoi Ries,

Send you a pm.

Groet Polder
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 12:44
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Not so active, but have been working on LibreCAD

Hey Guys,

I haven't been active for a while but picking up the project again.
I finally bagan testing and installing my Spindle and VFD, got my gas-spring and ordered some cable chains.

There are a bunch of reasons I wasn't active, new Job, new house, making some other higher priority items like a 2x2 dining table and benches are in progress.

One other project I have been working on is LibreCAD. LibreCAD is a fork of QCAD that will continue developing a open source version of QCAD. Two developers have been very active on on a day-by-day basis and they are doing a outstanding job.

I hope, I can continue adding CAM functions to it myself, and have been already doing some mayor work on it for profiling options in LibreCAD.
you can look at the project here: http://librecad.org/

Cheers,
Ries
Old Sun 02 December 2012, 17:03
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Sinterklaas plankje + G-Code

hello,

I had to make something for Sinterklaas so I made something that's called a 'sinterklaas plankje' it's a mold to make cookies and who doesn't want to make cookies on a home made mold? Exactly!

Alls you need is a mechmade (or any CNC router capable of wood routing), a 6MM end mill and a 60 degrees vbit.

First use the file : speculaasplankje_6mm-endmill-1 this will make the pocket.
Then use the file : speculaasplankje_60deg-vbitl-2 this will make the details.

I hope speeds are set correctly for you.

Ries
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speculaasplankje.jpg (56.2 KB, 765 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt speculaasplankje_60deg-vbitl-2.txt (28.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: txt speculaasplankje_6mm-endmill-1.txt (33.8 KB, 17 views)
Old Tue 04 December 2012, 18:08
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Cool idea, thanks I will try it sometime.
Old Wed 05 December 2012, 02:19
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Nice windmill Ries. Home sweet home. I definitely will make one for hanging on he wall in Taiwan. For the not dutch, or dutch related, this evening is Sinterklaas evening, and the kids have to unpack some presents
Old Wed 05 December 2012, 13:05
skillalot
Just call me: Sascha

Gelderland
Netherlands
Lol, didn't know there were that much dutch people on this forum.

Ik dacht dat ik de enige was
Old Fri 07 December 2012, 03:37
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
No there are some more dutch, but I see that you are in Holland at this moment.
first thing I made, were some Dutch town name plates, but I still have to paint them. I live for 4 years in Taiwan, Are you living in equador?
Old Sat 08 December 2012, 07:18
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Rik,

I still live in Ecuador indeed. My plan to use the mechmate for building part of the house we where planning to make didn't really go well. So, I have a nice Mechmate now making mostly little things once a while, very unfortunate..

I am planning to sell it somewhere next year if I can find a buyer to get some of the investment back.

But, as long as I have it, I do have good fun with it when I need to make something. I put new gears on them because my last set wasn't that good, and with the new spindle it now runs very smooth for whatever I need to make.
Old Sat 08 December 2012, 11:36
Hans
Just call me: Hans

Haarlem
Netherlands
Send a message via Skype™ to Hans
Hoi Ries, wat zijn de maten van de speculaas plankje
hi ries what are the dimentions of the sinterklaas plankje?

gr uit een besneeuwd - snowy NL
Hans
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 15:43
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hey Hans,

I totally missed your message my apologies. The size is about 75x95mm.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 15:50
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hello ALl,

I just wanted to share my latest addition to my Mechmate. Last weekend I decided to use my spare motor and spare Gecko drive to make a little indexer, best decision ever!

Since I am not using the machine professionally, I kept the indexer as simple as possible. All I needed to buy is some nut's and bold, scape material and 4 ball bearings.

The plastic pinions where cut with a 3mm HS bit from something I got from my brother in law. The wood are 'tablones' in the size of 200mmx4mmx2000mm and cut to size.
The metal bar in the center is actually one of these 'screw' bars, sorry I don't know the correct english term. All was put together in 3 mornings in the weekend.

First thing I made was a mini baseball bat, sounded simple enough and turned (pun intended) just fine. Next I made a coffee tamper and a citrus reamer.

The design's where created in pro-engineer and then loaded into cut3d. The Y axis was set to 360mm and using a text editor I replaced Y for A to create angular dimensions for LinuxCNC and beable to control the 4th axis. This 'turned' it to work fine, but I rather have some software to understand a real 4th axis so it can 'keep turning' instead of going back and forth that slows down the process.

Anybody happen to know better software for controlling the 4th axis?

I am working on a little bit of software to 'wrap' the 4th's axis in a more smarter way, this is just not as easy as it sounds to do reliable.

Anyways, here is a youtroep video to show it in axis and 3 items I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2KubSyjtNw

Ries
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 16:59
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ries, very nice.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 22:05
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Nicely done!
nice LinuxCNC screen too
Old Mon 30 September 2013, 15:01
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Hey Ken and Nil,

Ken, I can send you my LinuxCNC config if you want. It's very simple but so far didn't let me down.

I am planning to add 'auto-y', so it will automatically find the center of the Y axis for the indexer. For the above 3 projects I just eye-balled it.
Auto-z works fine and it's centered on the indexer.
Old Mon 30 September 2013, 21:34
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Have a look at this site for indexing wizards that some people use
for doing a bunch of indexing stuff.

Wizards by Rich

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read