MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 December 2008, 06:07
nzimmers
Just call me: morbius

WA
United States of America
Mechmate more than I need?

Hi guys,

I work at a small company and were trying to look into ways to do more in the same number of hours...(trying to stay afloat in this economy isn't easy for us).
It looks like the Mechmate would fit our needs but maybe in the popular configuration it's overkill:

The number one task that takes lots of time is manually cutting out forms in rather stiff foam board and shaping it by hand to the correct contours. This foam isn't really difficult to cut at all, just difficult to cut & shape accurately by hand. A 4'X8' mechmate is exactly the size we need but we don't need super fast and and super powerful to get through what we are doing.

The other operation that would be nice to handle would be drilling holes in thin aluminum sheet within an accuracy of +/_ .003

Considering that our cutting needs are not demanding, and the drilling needs require precision, would the mechmate be a good match?

I could definitely get the funding if I could show that the mechmate would work for both scenarios. I do have some doubts that even a very well built mechmate would be able to provide dependable precision in a production environment without some major modifications. If we put $1000 worth of aluminum sheet through and the holes are our of tolerence....that's going to be a bloody mess.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 06:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I think that +/- .003" is too tight for a MM.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 06:33
nzimmers
Just call me: morbius

WA
United States of America
Thanks for the reply Gerald

there are some Alum. sheets that need holes to be +/- .03

would that be possible on a mm?
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 07:02
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
+/- 0.03" is quite easy.

All of the accuracy depends on how careful you are when making and aligning your rails. Even +/- 0.003" is theoretically feasible, but we musn't bluff ourselves that we are going to have the tools to see whether we achieve it or not.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read