MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 09 February 2008, 18:28
skypoke
Just call me: Chuck

Port Aransas
United States of America
Stymied on rail grinding - until the Pferd disks were found

We seem to be up against it in getting our 45 deg angle grinds. We're using a table saw with wheel tilted, and running material through parallel jig (the leg we are cutting edges on is vertical) clamped to saw top. After multiple passes, we're less than 1/2 way to having angles cut. Seems like we're rubbing against the disc (we're seeing some glazing on disc side),creating noise and heat rather than cutting.

Are there better options in grinding discs? I'm thinking that we're grinding with far less pressure than you would normally use with one of these discs while freehand grinding. Possibly the table saw's lower speed is an issue too. I'm wondering if there is some type of stone rather than grinding disc which we can mount in saw but seems like no matter what kind of disc we use, it will have to work off the side rather than what would normally be the cutting edge. If anybody has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate them. Is there is a magic brand of wheel that'll do the trick?

Thanks, Chuck
Old Sat 09 February 2008, 19:11
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
are you grinding the profile on the rails or the z-slide?
Old Sun 10 February 2008, 11:38
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
We're grinding the rails.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 11:46
skypoke

Port Aransas
United States of America
Belay all that...we got it done. As others have said, the selection of grinding discs is of paramount importance. I ended up ordering the Pferd discs. We used a fixed grinder arrangement to cut down and ended up milling on the table saw. Lots of fantasies during the process of a Mechmate carrying a grinder and making rails!

Chuck

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read