MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 09 February 2007, 12:01
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The reason I mention routers or spindles in this thread is because there is no sense in using massive motors for the axes when the cutting motor is small. Also, the most popular cutter for cutting shapes out of boards is about 10mm in diameter - if you push that too hard/fast it breaks.

Would suggest you start with a router, but that is a subject for another thread .
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:16
reza forushani
Just call me:

Gerald
Are you now recommending these motors - MotionKing?
Old Fri 09 February 2007, 21:23
Gerald_D
Just call me:

No, I am neutral about MotionKing motors and not recommending them yet. They need to be tested and proved first.
Old Sat 10 February 2007, 19:13
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Because I don't want to to take chances with my first baby I have been looking for a Kit and I thinks this will work with the Oriental Motors ¿Right?
KL- 3815 $129
Unregulated Power Supply, 500 W, 38VDC/15A, 120VAC or 230VAC
This unit includes 500VA toroidal transformer, 2 of 10000uF 40V capacitors,
25A 600V bridge rectify, and chassis
Old Fri 07 September 2007, 05:54
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
The 34HS9802 is a multi specs motor with Bi-polar or Uni-polar. If you need 4pcs, the costs are as below:
34HS9802, $45.00/pcs, 4pcs ------------ $180.00
TNT Express Cost --------------------------- $98.00
SUM ---------------------------------------------- $278.00

Thats the costs to India.

RGD
Irfan
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 05:28
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
MotionKing Quote.

Here is a quote I got from Motion King.price is for shipping to Wilmington NC,I think I will make an order this week so if anyone is interested in placing an order I will pay for the hole order and ship them to you as soon as I receive them.please let me know. Thanks

cbboatworks@aol.com
Gene

As per your request, the costs are as below:
34HS9802, $45.00/pcs, 4pcs ------------- $180.00
TNT Express Cost ----------------------------- $192.00
SUM ------------------------------------------------ $372.00

Best Regards
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 06:00
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Hello

I did not ask in my last post regarding the Motion King motors. If anyone is reading this and see I should order a different motor from Motion King please chime in and correct me. I spend at least 1 to 2 hours a day of reading and post very little here.I have not found enough info on the motors to make the correct decision .Please help I will be ordering this week.Thanks

Motion King Item #34HS9802

Gene
cbboatworks@aol.com

Last edited by cbboatworks; Wed 19 September 2007 at 06:04..
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 06:57
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
In my ignorance of motors, and having considered Mariss's feedback, I would personally go for the the 34HS9801 which is the middle of the range in that motor size. The ...02 is a high current low inductance version while the 03 is the low current high inductance version?
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 08:54
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
I would like to thank you Gerald for responding to my questions, I have contacted Motion King on there gear head steppers as well. I have emailed tech support to ask them to recommend a compatible motor to the Oriental Motor PK296A1A-SG7.2. If they do not have what i am looking for in the gear head stepper I will order the one you think is best.(34HS9801) I will post again after hearing back from them.Thanks

Gene
cbboatworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
In my ignorance of motors, and having considered Mariss's feedback, I would personally go for the the 34HS9801 which is the middle of the range in that motor size. The ...02 is a high current low inductance version while the 03 is the low current high inductance version?
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 12:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Gene, maybe you should check if you have to pay an import tax on those motors? TNT Express will probably call you to say they have a parcel for you and they they would like to know what "Stepper Motors" are. They would be trying to figure out the "Customs Tariff Code" from this document: http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/h...er/0702c85.pdf and there you will see that import duties on motors can range from zero(free) to 6.7%. The best thing to do is to get your supplier (MotionKing) to state the tariff code number on their invoice. (My guess is for tariff code 8501.20.20)

Then you might also have a Sales Tax or Value Added Tax?

TNT Express will only hand the parcel to you if you pay them all the taxes and duties.
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 13:13
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Hello Gerald

In the past I have ordered Radio Controlled Helicopters 20 at a time from China with no import tax added. the shipping was through EMS as well.I have never run into a problem it may be different with the motors. I will check into it before sending money.Thanks for the Heads up

Gene

Quote:
Gene, maybe you should check if you have to pay an import tax on those motors? TNT Express will probably call you to say they have a parcel for you and they they would like to know what "Stepper Motors" are. They would be trying to figure out the "Customs Tariff Code" from this document: http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/h...er/0702c85.pdf and there you will see that import duties on motors can range from zero(free) to 6.7%. The best thing to do is to get your supplier (MotionKing) to state the tariff code number on their invoice. (My guess is for tariff code 8501.20.20)

Then you might also have a Sales Tax or Value Added Tax?

TNT Express will only hand the parcel to you if you pay them all the taxes and duties.
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 13:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you are an experienced importer, you shouldn't have a problem with the paperwork.

I am just doing all I can to minimise your surprises with these motors, seeing that you will be the first person to actually use MotionKing for this project. Thanks in advance for being the guineau pig.
Old Wed 19 September 2007, 14:50
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Gerald I am very grateful for your help and all that you have done by making it possible to build a wonderful machine like the MechMate. I am not only speaking for myself I think others will agree that the MechMate is the Best design on the web. I have not had a chance to start building yet but have had a chance to see the MechMate being built in person by JR Hatcher.He has a awesome machine.I will have to say he is a top notch builder. Keep the MechMates coming. Thanks to all of you

Quote:
If you are an experienced importer, you shouldn't have a problem with the paperwork.

I am just doing all I can to minimise your surprises with these motors, seeing that you will be the first person to actually use MotionKing for this project. Thanks in advance for being the guineau pig.
Old Fri 02 November 2007, 13:59
Abernathy
Just call me: PA

Pleasant Plains AR
United States of America
Any News on the Motionkings?

I've been lurking, following this thread on the imported motors, and was wondering if you've recieved them yet, and If so, what was your conclusion?

Thanks--Very informative..

Abernathy
Old Sun 04 November 2007, 03:58
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Montionking geared motors

Yes, I would also like to know what happened. Did Motionking respond to a compatable geared motor.
Old Sun 04 November 2007, 06:08
pksharma
Just call me:

cbboatworks,
Did you get your M.K. moters ? What's the result ?
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 00:31
Uthman
Just call me: Uthman

Tripoli
Libya
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, can anyone please tell me the ac power for 34hs9802 and 23hs8603 Motionking motors? I'm using them in Engraving machine and want to calculate their power.
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 00:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Do you already have the motors and are they already connected and running? What is the voltage of your power supply?
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 01:17
Uthman

Tripoli
Libya
Yea, they're running. The input voltage of the motors' drivers is 220V ac, and the output voltages are 17 and 60 V ac
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 01:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Then you can measure the ac power by measuring the amps at the 220V side. Volts x Amps = Power (Watts)
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 02:11
Uthman

Tripoli
Libya
You mean Volts*Amps*power factor, ac not dc power Gerald D, my problem is how to calculate the power factor. Can you help please???
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 02:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Can't actually help. If it all works and you can measure everything, why do you need to calculate anything? You don't have to lay thicker wires to your house or build a new power station, or anything like that do you?
Old Mon 05 November 2007, 02:34
Uthman

Tripoli
Libya
Thank you anyway!
Old Tue 15 April 2008, 23:35
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Any FRESH news on MotionKing 34HS9801 steppers ? Anybody using them yet?
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 18:31
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Gene
Where are you in your built ?
Have you had a chance to do the “kitchen project” with those Motionkings?
Can any others with MotionKing motors chime-in and give some feed back, it be interesting to have some updates !
Thanks for considering, Robert
Old Wed 02 July 2008, 04:34
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I am also thinking serousily about importing some motors from Motionking. Are there any MMs in production with this motors fitted?
I know they are on Kobus's BBB.
Who else?
Old Thu 07 August 2008, 05:14
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Some advice & opinion would be well appreciated

Hi all
As stated before, I’m planning on making my MM with an indexer.
I’ve pretty much finished my blue prints and the “to buy” list but still hesitant on this key selection... THE MOTORS
With all the info on motors I read and can absorb, I’m still no quite confident about what I came to pre-select.
Been looking at the MotionKing 34HS rang.
Say I would want to select two type of motors, one type for the MM design and the other one for the indexer but out of the same controller ( power supply), do I see in the right direction by assuming if I’m to mixed motors size they should be the same (or close to each other) Inductance & rated current ?
As an example, I’m considering the 34HS 4802 for the MM and the 34HS 2802 for the indexer since it may be more suited for indexing with its higher holing torque.
All those will be eventually fitted with a belt reduction transmission. ( only after the BB will be able to cut aluminum). A 4:1 for the MM and a +/- 30:1 multi-stage version for the indexer.

Is selecting two different types for my future set up a correct reasonable way to go or all 5 motors should be the same specification / size ?
Does my pre-selection seems reasonable ?
What m'I not seeing clear ??
Thanks in advance, Robert
Old Thu 07 August 2008, 05:44
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Robert why are you going to use different motors. I think with a 30:1 tranny on the indexer you could pull your house off the foundation . Also holding torque will be increased many times, in fact with a 30:1 if the motor had no torque you would not be able to move it because of just friction. Another thing to consider with a 30:1 will be rpm. Will you be able to get the speed you want. It will be very slow maybe too slow.

Last edited by J.R. Hatcher; Thu 07 August 2008 at 05:55..
Old Thu 07 August 2008, 06:57
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
JR, I’m not going with different motors, just questioning / considering if it is the way I should go ?
Questioning this is where I’m at this stage. That’s why I need some advice.
I fully realize your torque concern, but you never have to much on an indexer as I read !
In my quest, I cam across those :
See Mike’s post #14
See Mike’s post #33
See Gerald’s post #7
They sell a 30:1 drive system for as an A-drive indexer -> See this video

Obviously some detail & information I did not include in my post below was in order to keeping it as simple as I could
On my future indexer ( not lathe ! = no speed needed) I intend to turn pieces of various diameter, up to +/- 16”.
I’m not concern with small stock of say, 4inch diameter by 36” long or less ( just as an objective size). I’m more concern is when stock of +/- 8” + in diam by over 60” length will be needed !!?
Thanks for your concern /advice !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Thu 07 August 2008, 07:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
Say I would want to select two type of motors, one type for the MM design and the other one for the indexer but out of the same controller ( power supply), do I see in the right direction by assuming if I’m to mixed motors size they should be the same (or close to each other) Inductance & rated current ?
If you want to run off one power supply (you can have more than one supply), that will give you a fixed voltage which will closely match one inductance value.

Rated currents can be completely different, that is not an issue.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read