MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 December 2006, 13:00
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The beds that the rails screw to are very solid - there is nothing wrong with a carefully aligned joint in the rail. Only one wheel out of 4 need to cross a joint at a time.
Old Fri 06 April 2007, 23:00
James Webster
Just call me:

Gerald,

What HP and overall size is that bandsaw Gert is using to rip those rails?

How long did it take to cut a foot of metal?

I ask because my welder says it would take "forever" to rip 1/4" angle on this bandsaw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762
Old Fri 06 April 2007, 23:41
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hi James, the bandsaw you linked to is the baby brother of the one that Gert has. He has this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93507.
I'll ask him how long it took....

I do know the smaller version as well, and I tend to agree with your welder. There is a big difference in performance between these two models of bandsaw. We use the small one for thin-walled tube, under 2mm - still a handy machine though.
Old Wed 18 April 2007, 06:31
phil bizley
Just call me:

Gerald,Would i be able to cut the 6mm rails with the small bandsaw,(can't afford the larger one 700.00 pounds here in the uk) I have tried the evolution saw and made the jig for the angle grinder but the cuts are really wavey.i dont mind how long it takes as long as it will cut the rails down.Phil
Old Wed 18 April 2007, 06:47
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Phil, the small bandsaw will probably take 50 to 75% of the time some vigorous manual hacksawing would take. Snag is that the small one snaps blades too easily.

The grinder with thin, edge-cutting disk does make a wavey cut, but the straightness comes when the thick, face-cutting disk is used. Well, at least as straight as the angle iron itself - is your iron straight to start with?
Old Wed 18 April 2007, 12:17
phil bizley
Just call me:

yes it's straight enough,i have been trying all day and getting nowhere.i just bought a small bandsaw from my local machine supplier and can see what you mean,very slow.oh well thats another tool to add to my collection.guess i'll go back to the thin disk and thick grinding disk.by the way i could not get the thin pferd disk only the 2.5mm thick ones so i bought some other make thin ones 1mm,
Old Wed 18 April 2007, 12:20
phil bizley
Just call me:

gerald. i ment to tell you that the evolution metal cutting saw cuts it like butter.cant keep it straight though.maybe fixed in a bench with a guid fence might work better,
Old Fri 14 September 2007, 18:22
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
This post originally made here

J.R Nice peace of art. Because you are capable of doing such a beauty, I want to ask you if you have seen working

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...r=2458%50mode=

big.jpg

I am thinking very seriously like I told Gerald at the beginning in making Mechmates for selling and started looking for the correct tools to organize my shop ¿If I wanted to do various rails could this machine work for the Mechmate rails? ¿Would it reach the space left to bevel in the angle?
There is a smaller one
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...r=2458%50mode=

small.jpg

I want something to make my rails with the precision required and don't have the tools (and the skill) to make one like yours.
P.D. All opinions are welcome and hope my English is understandable.
Old Sat 15 September 2007, 10:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
These machines all leave a fairly rough finish because they use a low-speed cutter and they are not a high-speed grinder like in the "JR Skate"
Old Sat 15 September 2007, 17:17
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Thank guys for the feed back.
Before a meet Gerald and his Mechmate I was trying to build something strong enough for medium commercial production. After I found Gerald's beauty and the great opportunity he offers I decided to build those beasts ,that I know I can sell in my country. That is why I been asking about different tools and machinery adequate for this project. I love build in this design and now I am very interested build in a Mechmate plasma version . I haven't talk nothing officially to Gerald yet, because I want to show first my finished machine like he suggested the first time I contac him. I don't plan in getting rich with this but the satisfaction doing this and checking every day the forum and learning with you guys make me feel
Right now I am concerned in the rails because I would like to make them my self, because a cannot import them. The rest is fairly easy to import (Hope I can keep counting with Donald) Any advise or suggestions to adequate my shop to this protect will be very appreciated.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read