MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 September 2008, 02:44
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Quietening a makita router

Folks has anyone tried quietening a makita Router?

I am assuming quietening would involve removal of the fan attached to the shaft and put an electric fan (similar to one used to cool the heatsink in the mechmate controller setup) to cool the router motor. I am assuming this can be done as the HSD spindle also uses a fan to cool the spindle then why not a Makita router.

I have neighbors complaining and I want to consider doin this. But before I do something destructive to the router I want to know if what I may do would be practical or not.

Also if any one have methods to remove the fan from the router kindly post the details.

RGDS
Irfan.
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 04:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Irfan, I had considered doing that a couple of times myself, but have never gotten that far. Fairly sure it will work....can't see why not. Maybe go down to the repair shop and tell them what you want to do. They might give you a burnt one to play with.
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 04:34
javeria

Bangalore
India
I have one el cheapo router, I will try on that one, if that works - then will do similar to the Makita.
Old Fri 14 November 2008, 12:20
Khalid
Just call me: khalid

Sadiqabad
Pakistan
Irfan did u tried on that and what was the result??
Old Fri 14 November 2008, 20:02
javeria

Bangalore
India
I havent tried - got busy building the MM, will surely try on a el cheapo soon.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Sun 30 November 2008, 11:10
javeria

Bangalore
India
not comfortable

Today I tried out converting my elcheapo router to electric fan air cooled by removing the regular fan which is readily fitted to the rotor of the router.

I took apart the router and then cut the fan attached to the rotor. Put back the rotor and ran the router - the brush arcing noise was prominent - but there was around 50% (maybe) reduction in sound. You can hear it here in the below videos.

Then I placed the brushless fan to push air thru the router - I think there is some obstruction to air passage - have to look at that though.

But when I put on the router the fan cam up and i made it run for 2 to 3 min - I could smell some varnish smell - so stopped it - there seems to something starting to burn : ok there is not much air coming out and I dont expect also - but I was of the opinion that slow moving air will push out more heat ? ok tomorrow I will drill some holes in the casing where the bottom bearing is mouted, I am assuming that there is very less place for the air to exit, I dont have the pic of the bottom - but will post one tomorrow.

for now I am not happy - and still thinking that a Chinese spindle is the way to go for lower noise :

I see it like this - for me router noise - big noise
cutting noise - intermitant moise

total noise = router noise+cutting noise

if the router noise goes away - then I am very happy and still toiling for it.

I have not yet decided if this experiment is a failure - but will still go on trying some more.

thats it for now folks

I will post the videos in the next post - still uploading.

RGDS
IRfan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.8 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (104.2 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (131.4 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (134.6 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (85.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (118.5 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (67.7 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (72.3 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (67.1 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (117.3 KB, 322 views)
Old Sun 30 November 2008, 11:45
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Look at a ladies hairdryer to get an idea how much heat a fan can remove - the fan in there is cooling the 2000Watt coming off the element.

The air passages in your router are restricted where the air has to pass the rotor and coils. I don't think that extra holes at the bottom will help. You need a higher pressure fan. Maybe even try a hairdryer with the heater element disconnected?

Or, if you have a quiet compressor, close the top of the router, but put in a hose connection to blow air through the body.

A vacuum cleaner motor will have plenty enough pressure, but it will make more noise than where you started.

"but I was of the opinion that slow moving air will push out more heat?" Alas, that is completely against the laws of physics. Faster air will always remove more heat.
Old Sun 30 November 2008, 11:53
javeria

Bangalore
India
probably have a small centrifugal blower,? think I will stop this here till I have one adequately powered blower.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Sun 30 November 2008, 12:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you connect a (padded) hose between the blower and the router, the blower noise will be quietened. ie. if you find a nice powerful blower, but it is noisy, realise you can quieten it with a "silencer" or "muffler".
Old Tue 02 December 2008, 04:29
javeria

Bangalore
India
take a look here G'

http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/pcb...pcb_drill.html

This post started a separate thread on belt-driven spindles.
Old Tue 02 December 2008, 22:40
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Irfan, I don't understand why you have changed direction after a minor setback? If you can get the right fan/blower, that blows as much air as the original internal fan, then you have a good system. Already you have the collet, bearings, bracket, wiring, everything. You only need enough air.
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 02:37
javeria

Bangalore
India
No G' I have not changed direction - probably should have started a new thread when pasting the above link. I was revisiting this site (build your idea)to refresh how dave had built his spindles using the blender motor, and though would be interesting to post it here

I am on a hunt to get a right blower for my purpose.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 02:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That's good news, thanks
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 08:55
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I like the idea of that spindle it looks like it can work for midget cnc machinesWe can always try and build a spindle for a MM.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read