MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 12 November 2010, 06:34
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Looks great Alan ................... and someone once said I had way to much spare time
Old Fri 12 November 2010, 09:29
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR...Gosh, I apologized for that remark a dozen times!
Alan, nice work!
Old Fri 12 November 2010, 15:05
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Alan, Nifty looking console.
Like the idea of need meets new design !
Robert
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 15:58
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
The next generation...

Not CNC work (yet) but a small project my Daughter cut on the scroll saw for ACE senior convention. Getting her going with the woodworking bug so she can learn to operate the MM (so proud of her achievement, had to brag)

02 steff scrolling 1.jpg
Cutting on the scroll saw

01 steff routing.jpg
Routing the half lap

05 steff fitting.jpg
Checking the fit of the half lap

09 steff oiling.jpg
Applying oil finish

10 cross completed2.jpg
Finished product
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 21:10
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Our kids are sure growing up - great job Stephanie!

(I had to remember this post)
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 22:55
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Nice one there show the old man that you can!
Old Tue 02 August 2011, 23:04
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice, I see Cape Watchmakers are also featured.
Old Fri 19 August 2011, 14:46
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Stair Stringers

Doing a quick favour for my best bud, staircase stringers for his loft conversion, solid Oregon (Douglas Fir), indexed down the centre of the table either side of a reference edge (strip of pine screwed to the table and machined to size on both sides by MM). Job had to be done in two stages as the stringers are almost 5m long.

Photo0037.jpg
Neil watching his staircase appearing out of two large beams (He still can't believe I built this machine )

Photo0038.jpg
Those beams are loooong!

(please excuse poor quality pics, had to use my phone as my Daughter has annexed my camera and it doesnt look like I'm getting it back )
Old Sat 20 August 2011, 10:37
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Time for Dad to treat himself to a new camera - I have used that excuse often....
Old Sun 21 August 2011, 23:06
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Alan, That is one nice project.I got a showroom in JHB to go and kit out when I go back from my Family visit and it`s all in Bamboo.Can`t wait to see dust flying.
Old Tue 25 October 2011, 13:21
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
The machine is very busy at the moment working its way through a large pile of ply, but had some time today to do a quick sign for a client (the cutting was quick but the layout & computer work took quite a bit longer)

woodpecker sign.jpg
The wany edge board was as supplied.

Sign clamped down.jpg
Locating and clamping was a bit of a challenge.

Getting the text to fit on the waney plank caused a bit of head scratching but after the lightbulb went on, I grabbed the camera took a shot square on from the maximum distance at full zoom to fill the frame (to minimize any potential distortion) and brought that pic into my CAD program - then it was easy to trace the edges and layout the text (as individual letters so I could resize and rotate each one to suit the space available). When it came time to machine, I drilled dowel holes in the table top to act as locators - these holes were placed adjacent to the traced lines of the plank edge.
Old Tue 25 October 2011, 17:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Lekker. I am watching you guys. Tonight I am in Chicago. Finished RT-66 this morning. My route was 2247 miles. Tomorrow with Amtrak to NY and then Sunday back home.
Old Tue 25 October 2011, 17:57
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Hope your having a great trip !!!
Old Tue 25 October 2011, 18:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I miss making dust but the Vectric training was SUPER.
Old Wed 26 October 2011, 06:24
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Good job Alan. That was really creative thinking!
Old Fri 04 November 2011, 09:31
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Smile Christmas comes early to No 11

A friend is moving overseas so has to empty out is garage and accumulated goodies - among the treasures was this Alitvar66 high frequency drive (2.2Kw). This has now found a new home on my spares shelf waiting for a suitable HF spindle - better get onto E-Bay Thanks Roy

Altivar66.jpg
Old Fri 04 November 2011, 21:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Now you are going in the RIGHT direction.
Just wactch out for SOLAR-JEAN on eBay. They list ...on their site...transport cost to SA for the 3kW as $99.00. When I contacted them to ask for a collet set to be shipped together I was told that shipping to SA will be $199.00 ?????
I am in the process of bringing one in for Uncle Ray Buck.
Old Fri 04 November 2011, 23:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
While we are on the subjecs of Inverters. Can anybody help me with and ENGLISH version for a HL-3000-2015T Chinese Inverter.
Old Sat 05 November 2011, 01:31
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Yes Kobus, already discovered that little trick of his, cant seem to find Lovehappyshopping anymore - seems to have dissapeared.

After doing a bit of research last night, my head is a little confused (not an unusual state mind you) Nobody on E-Bay seems to make or are able to supply a 2.2Kw air cooled spindle, only water cooled in that size and I dont particularly want to go with water cooled - not wanting to add more complexity with water systems etc... (I know Fimec and HSD make them but the cost is quite a bit higher )

Units available are 1.5Kw and then 3Kw, now the 1.5 is the same size as my router and not big enough for my needs so would like to get the 3Kw unit... but will it work with this inverter (rated at 2.2Kw) I know that I will only get maximum 2.2Kw out of the inverter and as such will not be using the full capacity of the motor but will it not cause any damage to the Inverter? - will have to give Schneider a call on Monday.

If it cant work together I will have no option but to get a water cooled 2.2Kw spindle or use this inverter for some other machine in the factory and get the correct inverter for a 3Kw air cooled spindle - seems a pity not to use such a great gift.
Old Sat 05 November 2011, 02:55
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Your 2.2kW inverter will happily drive a 3kW rated spindle, but your spindle will not be allowed to go over 2.2kW. Your inverter is the one that makes the rules - you set it to limit current at whatever point you decide. I reckon a 3kW spindle is a better match for your inverter than a 2.2kW spindle.
Old Sat 05 November 2011, 23:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I will agree with Gerald...go for the 3kW. That is what I am getting Uncle Ray. Check out world-etrade....$391 delivered to SA.

Funny strange lot these Chinese. Did payment for spindle via PayPal and on my conformation message turns out world-etrade is lovehappyshopping.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sun 06 November 2011 at 00:12..
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 00:51
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Thanks for the assurances, Kobus, does that price include the collets?
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 01:19
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I have the same situation at the moment,Don`t know If I need to get the 2.2 kw water cooled or the 3 kw air cooled as the weight on the 3 kw unit is more than the 2.2 kw water cooled spindle.I don`t do more than 4 mm cut depth at a time and are happy with 40 mm/sec.Yes the plumbing to do the watercooled unit is a mission but what if you lose steps due to the weight of the 3 kw unit if you do carving with a lot of up and down movement.would the gas shock keep up with the weight and if you use a stronger gas spring would the motor be able to go against the forces of the shock.
My first shock packed up due to it being upside down (the wrong way )so I could only get one that was pressured stronger so I bought it and the motor couldn`t move the shock.I need to make the call this week as I would bring 2 in one for Brad and one for #23. I also Had a look at the 1.5 kw for my small machine.
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 01:28
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I dont think the weight is that much of a factor as long as the gas spring is matched to the weight. You can get the spring made to your requirements, I had it done by my local spares shop - they orderd it from the factory for me - should be a piece of cake up in the big smoke. If the gas spring is correct the spindle and mounting plate will be "neutral" so the motor has very little work to do with regards to countring the forces of gravity - I suppose my 4:1 reduction also makes it easier.
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 01:39
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Alan You have Mail
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 01:47
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I use 3Kw water cooled.

My use is very much different, as I seldom cut less then 4mm...

I can't say much about the gas spring, as my ball screw makes it look effortless...

Plumbing isn't a big thing, I use pneumatic tubes for it, there are plenty space in the cable chain. As for the pump & reservoir, using off the shelf lubricant pump & tank works well for me.

BTW, in case you worry about forgot-to-turn-on-the-coolant-pump scenario, the spindle won't fry immediately... I had done cutting for over 1/2 hours without the coolant pump... Lucky me...
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 01:57
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I have the pump already,one that I used to empty my pool once .strong enough to probably have 5 water cooled spindles on one line and to run a koi pond together
Old Sun 06 November 2011, 07:22
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
No Alan, he does not do collets anymore...other eBay shops have some good deals. Some only deliver to USA, but I have way's and means of getting it via somebody.
Old Mon 07 November 2011, 12:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Alan, old LOVEHAPPYSHOPPING aka WORLD-eTRADE is at it again.
I found this 3kW for $391.00 incl int. delivery.
spindle 1 incl.jpg

Even the 2nd page confirms FREE SHIPPING...

Country South Africa.jpg

Today I get a message...please pay another £27.00 into his PayPal account as shipping to SA is very expensive....
You know what I told him cannot be repeated here....waiting to hear from him or eBay
Old Mon 07 November 2011, 13:09
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I went through this dance a couple weeks back, will probably come back to you and say that maybe you shoudnt buy it at this stage - that was the answer I got when questioning the sudden increase in shipping to SA over that stated on E-Bay.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read