MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 08 April 2015, 09:11
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
For 4k, yes. I figured it should have a little more rigidity. The homemade machine I mention at the start of my build thread is more rigid than it was.
Old Wed 08 April 2015, 10:13
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Disappointing...
Old Wed 08 April 2015, 12:35
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
They are filling a need for people that want to get into CNC. It is only after they start cutting do they find out that rigidity is important for a quality cut.
Old Wed 08 April 2015, 18:04
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
And most people would not take on the task of building something as buying is easier so for them, it is good enough.
Old Thu 09 April 2015, 11:27
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I get all that guys. I expected it to flex, I was just surprised by how much it flexed.
Old Thu 09 April 2015, 13:15
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
We're just spoiled with our super rigid affordable home built machines...
Old Thu 09 April 2015, 16:13
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Amen brother.
BTW, just made a FB connection with a guy with a plasma cutter...cutting him out a sub plaque for one of his designs...it appears we may be able to swap some work out with each other...
I can design, send him the file, he'll cut out, I pick up...almost as good as my own plasma cutter.
Old Sat 02 May 2015, 20:43
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Well, I spent a little time finalizing the Super PID I started installing many months ago. (I'm afraid to go back and look) Why I didn't do it sooner was the question of the day. Man, its nice.
Also with a little Font help from AlanC, ( Thanks again, Alan!!)
I cut out a few 18" tall 1/2 BB Monograms with an 1/8" down spiral bit. Worked much easier turning the RPM down, and making chips instead of dust.

Old Sat 02 May 2015, 21:48
pblackburn

United States of America
Nice
Old Sun 03 May 2015, 02:41
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Looks cool! super smooth curves
Old Sun 03 May 2015, 06:46
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Actually the curves are not that smooth, but I think that's because of the vector file
Old Sun 03 May 2015, 07:12
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Thanks Pete and Alan.

Last edited by darren salyer; Sun 03 May 2015 at 07:19..
Old Sun 03 May 2015, 07:38
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Fox, here's what the Font looked like, not cleaned up. It was originally drawn for small embroidered Monograms, and got pretty fuzzy blown up to 18" tall.
Alan and I spent some time cleaning it up, and while not perfect, it looks way better than the ones sold locally. Of course the true result is that I sold 5 more of that 1 picture.
I'm assuming your critique was constructive and not meant as a dig....

Old Mon 04 May 2015, 01:48
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Darren, I like that, looks great. Gotta try one of those soon. From what I understand you can get the raw fonts which scale better....
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 07:42
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Hi Darren,

your assumption was correct, not dissing you at all... just my eye for detail saw the vectors are not smooth. Yours is much better then the original though, which is really bad !

I used to work a lot with vectors, hence I noticed the curves have more control points or kinks then they need, and some section are 'straight' or independent curves... where they should all be part of one continuous curve. Usually this happens when pixels are converted bymeans of software to vector art, you end up with super messy vector files, which take a lot of effort to clean up to decent files. Think of 10.000 control points in files before where you would actually need 200 or so when you would trace it manually.

Last edited by Fox; Mon 04 May 2015 at 07:45..
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 21:25
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Try G64
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 06:07
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
? Ken?
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 09:28
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
G64 in G-Code is constant velocity mode
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 11:18
frankie_papo
Just call me: frankie

DavidRixAJ
Philippines
Send a message via ICQ to frankie_papo Send a message via AIM to frankie_papo Send a message via Yahoo to frankie_papo Send a message via Skype™ to frankie_papo
hi all i'm new here but what i'm seeing is truly inspirational... i'
m itching to start building my own
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 11:29
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome Frankie. Have a look at the "introduce yourself" section and tell us a little more about yourself. Great bunch of guys here.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 11:30
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I have constant velocity checked in the general config of Mach3, but don't see G64 in any of my code.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 19:00
pblackburn

United States of America
You could edit and save it as a scalable vector to keep uniformity.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 13:50
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Vectors are always scalable!? That's why we use Vectors instead of pixels. His drawing will look the same big or small.
I think Ken means your paths blend with g64 sacrificing tight path over speed.

Last edited by Fox; Wed 06 May 2015 at 13:55..
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 15:05
pblackburn

United States of America
I was referring to saving as an .svg such as using Inkscape. Not knowing the interface he is using I will always be vague. Aspire is not always the best for everything.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 15:16
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
OR.... I could quit chasing little bumps most normal people without this sickness will never notice, and keep selling them..
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 16:01
pblackburn

United States of America
Yes. That is true also. But I know you strive for greatness.
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 00:23
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
The font was typed in Adobe Illustrator, converted to curves (all vectors with bezier curves so not hundreds of short straight lines) then exported to Aspire. It can be re-sized to any size and will stay exactly the same.

The problematic issue is that the original font is not a very good one as far as edge refinement goes, it was designed to be used at a small point size so when enlarged to this size anomalies show up - yes they can be fixed...but they are not so bad and most "normal" clients wont notice it, unless you point it out to them of course

so keep cutting and ca-ching ca-ching - the one sound I like more than the sound of my router working.
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 08:31
pblackburn

United States of America
Alan, we know you all did a lot of work. Sometimes it is easy to miss something. You are right about most people not noticing. They are better than anything you will find in a craft store for sure. I believe that Darren likes to stand apart from the competition. I think that is why it was brought up as an observation and not a criticism. Heck, when it was posted, the first thing I did was bore my wife with having to come to the computer so I could show off his work again. I hope that explains where I was coming from.
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 13:46
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I can't speak for Alan, but I'll say I didn't think you were being critical. I think everyone here obsesses with perfection, why else build a machine that works to such close tolerances.
My comment about just getting on with the cutting merely meant that I needed to quit obsessing over chasing what most will never notice or appreciate.
I do appreciate the compliment about my work. In my opinion, everyone here pushes everyone else to a higher level of quality, just by the culture Gerald has established, and Mike is continuing.
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 16:43
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Ditto

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read