MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 28 June 2019, 04:54
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
First class!

So is there a microprocessor in there somewhere?
Old Fri 28 June 2019, 05:51
xraydude
Just call me: Ted #131

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
There is an ATmega328PU microcontroller running it. I have a drawer full of them from some previous projects and are very simple devices. These are the microcontrollers that many of the Arduino line of devices are based on, so you can use the Arduino IDE to program them. There is a limited number of I/O lines, but enough for this project. The good thing about using a microcontroller for this kind of job is that I can keep tweaking and updating this software. I included an SD card interface, so the software can capture and save data for things like spindle run hours, average coolant flow rate, etc, I just have to add the functionality to the software. Fun project.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlowSensorSchematic.jpg (144.0 KB, 377 views)
Old Fri 28 June 2019, 14:18
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
More 4th axis shenanigans

Needing to run some cuts for testing the flow monitor, I tried out some detailed carving on a 3D surface with compound curves. Using .25mm tapered ball nose bit, smallest I've used yet. I expected it to snap at any moment, but it made it through just fine.

Ted
https://vimeo.com/345093710
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dragon Fly Cup.jpg (129.8 KB, 378 views)
Old Sat 29 June 2019, 05:07
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Classy! I'm running out of superlatives.

And, I learned something new from your schematic discussion (thanks for sharing). I hadn't thought of using the Arduino IDE with my own circuit. What a great idea.

So have you considered adding a temperature probe (like the K-type) with appropriate microcontroller to your configuration? Oh, and with your data logging capabilities...
Old Sat 29 June 2019, 08:09
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Thanks, John.

Yes, I have thought about that, and I added the inputs to the pcb and connector to the chassis when I built it. I also have the probe I'm going to use. I ran out of good, shielded 2 conductor cable, but have some on order and will install it as soon as it gets here.

Also, learned a good lesson this morning. Just because Vectric gives you the toolpath for your mill of choice, doesn't mean that your collet is going to clear the sides of your profile. Time to buy some longer ball mills!

Ted
Old Fri 05 July 2019, 20:22
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Been spending so much time with the 4th axis, I haven't put down a real spoilboard. Time to fix that. I'll have to look up the drawing specs, but I think i remember them calling for 6 bolts per crossbeam, so 48 holes to drill and tap. I also started looking real closely at my rails for being parallel and coplanar. My x-rails are about 2 mm off from parallel right now which is well within the adjustment range of the bolts holding the rails to the main beams. I seem to remember a method of using wire cable with a sag chart to shim the rails true, but I don't remember what the best method was to get the rails at the same height. Feel free to chime in if you've done this! I'm too old to reinvent the wheel.

Ted
Old Sat 06 July 2019, 07:37
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Spoilboard

First bolt in spoilboard. 47 more to go. This is going to be a Guinness kind of day. I've got 2 M8 taps/bits. Think I'll get them all done with just those 2 taps? Probably depends on the Guinness to work ratio!

Ted
Old Sat 06 July 2019, 12:52
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
First tap broken at hole 23. Guinness ratio still way too low!

Ted
Old Sun 07 July 2019, 04:37
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
I assume you are using a "good" taping fluid like Rapid Tap. I was given the advice to use such a product 10 years ago when I built my MechMate #26. I, mostly, used Harbor Freight (cheap) taps. I didn't break any taps.
Old Sun 07 July 2019, 07:43
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Thanks, John. Yes, I use Tap Magic and a cordless drill. When I think of all the hand tapping I did as a kid, with no tapping fluid, I can only shake my head. I broke that first tap because the drill torqued out of my hand. Two wrist surgeries ago, that wouldn't have happened! That was the only casualty, however, and the deed is done. On to gluing the second piece of MDF down today. I have lured some family/friends over with promises of grilled food and beer, the suckers. They are going to help me get this finished.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpoilBoard2.jpg (144.5 KB, 353 views)
Old Mon 08 July 2019, 04:38
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Looking good! And there's that 4th axis again. I wish I had thought of extending my X rails so I could add a 4th axis like you did. I did configure a space in my control box for the 4th axis driver.
Old Wed 10 July 2019, 15:34
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Well, so much of my work is at the lathe, it was natural for a rotary axis to be high on my list during the planning.

I did get the table surfaced. However I would not recommend doing that without functional dust collection on the machine! I have worked with MDF many times over the years, and have even routed it before. But... the amount of dust this thing made when surfacing was unreal! I ended up leaving the machine to it and waited for it to finish to come back. It took me half the night to blow out my shop! I do have a dust collector for my shop mounted outside the shop and it works well for my other tools. I just haven't had time to make the pipe/tubing runs up for the beast. Big mistake! I'm making the time this weekend (assuming the expected bad weather down here leaves me alone) to get it done. Anyway, the surfacing went well and I have a pretty flat surface now. Still trying to decide on clamping system. I have some t-track I can lay down, or maybe just route some t-slots in the spoilboard itself.

Ted
Old Wed 10 July 2019, 18:25
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Well done.
Coming along nicely.

MDF, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!

Reference the clamping, I used T nuts.
I made a couple of cam clamps.
Old Thu 11 July 2019, 11:02
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Thanks, Al. Yep, MDF = Double Yuk!

The good thing about my dust collection is that it is outside my shop in a small outbuilding, so I don't have to worry about fine particulates escaping through any filters in my shop, and it is much quieter.

I also built a shop air filter that hangs from my ceiling with 6 high volume PWM fans. It sounds like a server room when it spins up to full speed. It runs through a MERV 13 filter, and is pretty good at getting dust down to 1 micron, and about 50% of particulates down to .3 microns. Of course, it is centered on the MechMate and is right in the way of where I need to stop my horizontal pipe run and drop the vertical flex hose down to the machine, so I've got to get up there and move it.

So, Al, do your cam clamps apply pressure down from the top of your work piece or from the side?

Thanks,
Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AirFilter.jpg (140.5 KB, 336 views)
Old Thu 11 July 2019, 18:13
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
The cam clamps apply side pressure.
I use them when surfacing a workpiece.

I thread in a couple of short M8 studs at the rear so they are below the finished thickness and tighten the clamps.
This allows a clear run over the work.
When profiling I use a hold down clamp.
Hope this helps.
Old Sat 13 July 2019, 12:43
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Thanks, Al. Yes, it does help.

Finished my dust extraction setup last night. Made up a steel post that mounts to the top of the Z stiffener and holds the hose up above the energy chain so that it can drape down before it turns up towards the ceiling. Looked like that was Gerald's recommendation. Seems to work well. I was somewhat concerned about it applying bending force to the Z axis, but I'm not seeing any issue so far. I bought the cheapest metal dustshoe I could find and had to cut it and re-weld it to make it fit into the Y-carriage. I plan on making one out of acrylic or mdf with magnetic mounted brushes to allow easier collet access, so I didn't want to spend too much on this one.

We are having a lot of mains power outages today with Hurricane Barry practically on top of us, so I'm not running the machine. Taking the time to do some design work and further researching laser options. I have been really happy with the cheap laser I bought to test with, and I want to get a higher quality, higher power and PWM controlled one in the 5 to 7 watt range.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MechMateVacuum1.jpg (137.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg MechMateVacuum2.jpg (149.8 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg MechMateVacuum3.jpg (136.7 KB, 318 views)
Old Fri 19 July 2019, 21:51
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Started fabricating a better dust shoe. The cheap one works great for 4th axis, but too tall for my shorter mills. This is the first milling that I have done where I had to hit measurements. Drew this up in Sketchup Pro and brought it into Aspire, then cut out this prototype. Can't tell you how ecstatic I was when I measured that opening that slides over my 80mm spindle! Yes!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190719_081025232.jpg (133.8 KB, 292 views)
Old Sat 20 July 2019, 05:08
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
I know the feeling. You're almost afraid to make that first accuracy measurement. Because, if it's not correct, it's totally your problem...you have to fix it...can't call the manufacturer's Support Desk, YOU'RE the manufacturer. So, congratulations, you've done a lot of things RIGHT.
Old Sat 20 July 2019, 18:13
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Thanks, John. That is EXACTLY how I felt!

Look what came in the post today! She is all logo'd up. Now it feels complete. 3465 days from my first post. Man, I had no idea what I was getting in to!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TedsMMwithLogo.jpg (149.0 KB, 290 views)
Old Sun 21 July 2019, 15:56
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
That's a beautiful sight. Hey, Mike, time to award a Serial Number.
Old Thu 25 July 2019, 06:18
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Short video on some more wine goblets being shaped on my 4th axis. This wood was pretty wet, and I tried the cheapest .5" end mill I could find for the rounding passes. Left a lot of spaghetti behind! The 8mm ball nose took care of it though, on the roughing pass. These goblets have a 3D witch on a broom on them. I don't think I'll turn down the stems as small on these multiple goblet blanks, as I started to get some chatter from the wood flexing. Probably better to leave the stems thicker and turn them to their final diameter on the lathe, or just keep the blanks shorter.

Noise warning on the video!

https://vimeo.com/350087969

Ted
Old Sat 27 July 2019, 04:53
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ted,

Cool build. Love the rotary axis!!

You get Serial Number 131!!

Mike
Old Sat 27 July 2019, 05:49
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Ted,

Congratulations for earning Serial Number 131. Here is the Update Builder's Log with your entry added. Please let me know the cutting dimensions of your table including the Rotary Axis extension. Also, let me know any changes you want to make to your entry.
Old Sat 27 July 2019, 06:56
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Woo Hoo! 131 it is! Had to wake my wife up to tell her. Probably not the smartest thing on a Saturday morning!

I can't even begin to adequately express to everyone how grateful I am for this forum and all of the support I have received over the years. Thanks to you all.

John,
The cutting dimensions are 2620mm x 1340mm, including the 4th axis. The 4th axis can handle a 1200mm long piece between centers with a 200mm diameter. All other info is fine in the Builder's Log.

For general info, and anyone interested, I'm running a 2.2kw water cooled spindle with Sunfar E300 VFD. PMDX-126 BOB, PMDX-107 Spindle controller and two PMDX-133 motherboards with five Gecko 203V Drivers and a Warp9 Smoothstepper (ESS). Running Mach3, on Windows 10, with 2010 Screenset. WXHC wireless pendant.

Funny story... my wife was complaining last night about yet another UPS package that was delivered to a neighbor by mistake. I thought to myself, we really need a bigger street number sign. 30 minutes later it was done with the MechMate. How cool is that? Happy wife, happy life!

Ted
Old Sat 27 July 2019, 19:05
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Congratulations #131.
Now the fun starts.
#114.
Old Sun 28 July 2019, 05:14
jhiggins7

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Ted,

Thanks for the dimensions. Your entry has been updated.

Thirty minutes from idea to sign...now that's a TOOL!

Regarding the additional information about your build, we try to keep the log entries to a single line. But, the extra information you provided is great. For those building or adding to their MechMate the additional information is permanently part of your build thread. You may get follow-up questions for years to come...that's how this forum works.
Old Sun 29 September 2019, 15:18
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Little bit of 3D work

Still rocking and rolling on #131. Here's a short video of a 3D carving done on a Mahogany Apothecary top.

Standard Aspire Gryphon clipart.

6mm roughing.
2mm ball nose finish pass.
Run-Time: Forever! Still figuring out best toolpath strategy for these 3D files.

https://vimeo.com/363168659

Ted
Old Sun 29 September 2019, 19:03
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
Looking good Ted.

I rough out with a 1/2" cutter steeping down in Z.
Finish 0.75mm taper ball nose.

Last one 400x300, 20 deep.
Rough out 1 hour.
Finish 6 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_20190925_164211.jpg (50.3 KB, 203 views)
Old Mon 14 October 2019, 08:10
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Custom 8 sided mug

Very nice, Al, and thanks for the info.

Got a custom order for a large 8 sided beer mug (130mm x 230mm) with 3D skull and crossbones. Here are a couple of videos during the process:

https://vimeo.com/366243007

https://vimeo.com/366241555

If anyone wants to see the type of stuff I normally make, you can check out my still under construction website: https://angryroostergoblets.com/

Ted
Old Wed 13 November 2019, 10:22
xraydude

New Orleans, LA
United States of America
Speaking of my enclosure temps in another thread. I found this morning that letting the shop get down to 3C certainly helps keep the drivers cool!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold temp.jpg (120.3 KB, 117 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read