MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Thu 11 September 2008, 15:36
Art
Just call me: Art #2

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
Rack alternate

Here is and interesting alternate to using rack, http://www.bell-everman.com/servobelt.html . What is not apparent from the pictures is that there are two belts. One is attached to the frame with 3M VHB tape and the other goes around the motor gear and the two belts mesh. T5 belting will probably work. He uses a property belt that has flanges to insure that the belt tracks properly but flanged rolers will do the same job.
Old Thu 11 September 2008, 22:51
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Art, are you needing to solve any problems with your current rack and pinion system?
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 10:17
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
No rack problem

I came across the site when researching the rolamite. Had serious doubts about the rolamite when I started because there is no information on it on the web. It came out of Sandia Labs which designs nuclear weapons among other things. Apparently used as a safety in nuclear weapons ( no plans available) and the impact sensor in air bags because of it's reliability and there is also a postal scale that uses it. One more source to check but believe that the rolamite is a dead issue.
Use of the interlocking belts may be a cheaper idea for some people who can't find racks at a reasonable price.
As a side issue I am thinking of redesigning my site and starting a forum aimed solely for indexers and Legacy Ornamental Mills. What software are you using and how happy are you with it?

Last edited by Art; Fri 12 September 2008 at 10:21..
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 10:42
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
The racks does not need maintenance and in a long time is best, and is more dust clean. The MM is a strong machine we only need change the bearings it is possible.

But for a laser cutter or a plasma cutter seems fast.

Last edited by isladelobos; Fri 12 September 2008 at 10:56..
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 10:57
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
MM

The MM is definitely the best DIY machine I have seen and better than most manufactured machines. Some countries have outrageous import fees things they don't manufacture. The interlocking belt idea could be that solution.
Old Fri 12 September 2008, 12:04
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I am thinking of redesigning my site and starting a forum aimed solely for indexers and Legacy Ornamental Mills. What software are you using and how happy are you with it?
The software is http://www.vbulletin.com/ and I am very happy with it.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read