MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 09 June 2013, 10:45
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
Help with What I have already installed

Hi,

I believe I made a big mistake. I wired the motors with 18/4 non sheilded cable. I believe i needed sheilded cable now that I look back. Should I finish with what i got and then try running the machine and see if it causing problems or should i rewire all the motors and pull the 16/4 sheilded continuous flex wire? I did the load calcs and 18 gauge for the longest length I have has close to 3% drop or a little more can't remember but was uncomfortable with it.
Old Sun 09 June 2013, 21:08
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
If it's already wired, give it a try. Electrical noise is unpredictable. If your unshielded wiring is not acting as an antenna for critical circuits, you may not have a problem. Just pay very close attention to anything unexpected. (I've run a single motor on a 25-length of unshielded cable with perfect results. The reason that using shielded cable is highly recommended, is that it's easier to keep a problem from happening than finding and fixing a problem - but if it's ready to run, give it a try.)
Old Mon 10 June 2013, 06:20
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Thank you for the quick response. Everything is shielded inside the control box behind the transformer capacitor and rectfier. So all data from breakout to drivers and drivers to external terminal block for the motors. And power from driver to psu and breakout to power all sheilded
Old Mon 10 June 2013, 17:28
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Did you use motion wire?
Old Tue 11 June 2013, 16:18
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Yes, made for continuos motion

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read