MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 22 June 2010, 07:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
In US dollars, depending on your ability to alternate source things like steel, enclosures, wire and choice of amplifier cards/breakout board(s) and most importantly spindle/router. You will spend 6-9K. The past 3 builds for me were roughly 5900 (router), 8200 (spindle), 7500 (plasma without the cost of the torch supply unit, otherwise would have been 9000).
\
Hardware cost only. Labor is extra

Sean
Old Tue 22 June 2010, 07:31
rotorzoomer
Just call me: Account - DISABLED

Account - DISABLED
Australia
Exhange Rate

It also depends on the exchange rate at the time of your MM commitment to build.

For me in Australia, i would not have even conceived undertaking the project early 2009 when the AUD Currency dropped to 0.62c Fast forward 1 year and the AUD Currency went to almost parity with the USD at 0.93c making everything cheaper to buy which was the catalyst for me to commit.
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 17:57
speedysigns
Just call me: Rick

Orillia
Canada
board size

Hi the common size for me is 5' by 10' boards
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 22:27
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Is MechMate #1 still for sale in SA?
Old Mon 12 July 2010, 22:33
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Mike, yes it is. why do you ask?
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 08:59
Jim Mulrine
Just call me: Jim

Glasgow
United Kingdom
Jim Mulrine

As we require the Cnc to cut parts for chair and sofa frames. We will be using mdf and ply wood boards (8' x 4' or 2440 mm x 1220 mm). The amount of parts on a board can be anyhing from 8 parts up to 50 parts per cut. What size of machine would I need to process this. I think for the capacity we would require we would be ok with one router head but I would be advised on this. As a designer I am drawing on DesignCad and would need advice on the best software convertor for it. How much would a machine like this cost.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Mulrine; Tue 07 September 2010 at 09:12..
Old Tue 07 September 2010, 11:37
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Jim,

Once you download the plans you decide on the size of the machine. If you want to cut 2.4 x 1.2 meter boards, you use this and the plans indicate that you should add 500mm to allow for the overhang etc. So the table should be min. 2940 x 1720.
Once you have your plan in DXF you import it into something like Vectric V-Carve Pro, set up your cutting paths and export to Mach3 that drives the machine.
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 09:22
Cas
Just call me: Cas

Stroudsburg, PA
United States of America
Hello everyone. I am yet another Newbie to the CNC Router world and am wondering if the MechMate plans could be used for a smaller unit, more like an engraver with a 12" x 12" routable area (I will also be looking at adding a 4th axis so I can engrave cylindrical objects too). Any comments?
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 15:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Cas,
I do not think this design would lend itself to a footprint that small. The Y car assembly is larger than that. 4 x 4 feet I would think would be the smallest practical size in my opinion. www.cnczone.com has a multitude of small router designs if you are interested in that size range.

Last edited by domino11; Sun 14 October 2012 at 12:37..
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 20:21
Cas
Just call me: Cas

Stroudsburg, PA
United States of America
Heath,
Thanks for the insight. I still haven't downloaded the plans, but after I posted the question I have seen others say 4'x4' should be the minimum. Your response is appreciated!
Old Mon 23 July 2012, 20:26
dale1944
Just call me: Dale

Capon Bridge, WV
United States of America
49" x 97"
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 08:56
mawe
Just call me: mawe

vilnius
Lithuania
Hello,

Well like everybody else in here I started my plans for cnc.
The plan is to build CNC router that would be able to cut 2050 x 3050 sheets (because sometimes we need to cut big sheets of pvc) but it also have to be able to cut plywood and over harder plastics.

So the main question is this table size is stiff enough with one motor for the gantry? or should I put to motors or use double shaft servo?

And one more question is about the planas, what is the difference between the plans that you can find everywhere on the net and the plans that you can buy here?

Thanks Thomas
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 11:16
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mawe,

If I calculate correctly that is a 6.725' x 10' table bed. I do not see any problems using one motor for the gantry.

I don't know what plans you found on the net but if you are interested in building a MechMate then you buy the plans. You also get the support of the forum and users that have built a MechMate and are making money from their machine.

Good luck.
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 12:40
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mawe,
The Mechmate gantry uses two stepper motors and the Y-Car assembly uses 1 stepper motor. There have been many tables built in that size range with no problems.
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 13:41
mawe
Just call me: mawe

vilnius
Lithuania
Thanks for answers well then it's only time to get budget approved and start planing
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 14:39
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawe View Post
And one more question is about the planas, what is the difference between the plans that you can find everywhere on the net and the plans that you can buy here?

Thanks Thomas
Mechmate plans are superior and you will not 'shoot yourself in the foot' by trying to experiment with different styles of CNC builds
Old Sun 14 October 2012, 15:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The MM represent a complete, vetted design that works.
100+ almost identical machines that work and make money are a good assessment of a complete design.
Old Thu 26 December 2013, 13:32
pez1008
Just call me: Paul

Deltona
United States of America
I am in America, Florida. I plan on making a 4" x 8" table. However, I work for a company that wants me to design and make an xy table with a z axis for a medical patch that dispenses a liquid at 10 different points on an EKG patch. In this case the table needs to only be 3x3' or 4x4'. Can I use the software to control the z-axis for dispensing liquid in a controlled fashion use Mach 3 software?
Old Thu 26 December 2013, 15:38
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Yes, you can use the mechmate to do this. The software is Mach3 and someday it will/maybe Mach 4. This software is used all around the world by businesses to manufacture products. This software moves the x, y, z axis to an exact location. your z axis will be a dispenser of some type. How much fluid are you moving. This will depend on the type of pump you are using. Pressure delivery depends on ambient temperature and even current atmospheric pressure. I have a lot of experience with catalyst dispensers. Capillary pumps driven by a controlled motor may be something to look at. The pump diagram can easily be exchanged giving you a method of maintaining cleanliness. The fluid never comes in direct contact with any part of the pump itself. Best of luck.
Old Wed 22 January 2014, 05:04
Chattermark
Just call me: U.

Kiel
Germany
Maybe I use the wrong search strategy, but I did not yet find a general introduction to the MechMate project on this site - all articles get immediately to secondary details like sheet sizes to be processed etc.

Where do I find a general description of the potential result of building a Mechmate, the general concept of the machine, its unique properties, that shows what the machine can (resolution, loads, materials), what is needed to build one (a complete metal workshop including welding and steel milling), what kind of personal skills, what space, what tools are necessary?

Hiding all plans behind a payment barrier is also understandable but not really helpful on the first approach - there are so many DIY CNC concepts in the world today that this is not really inviting - in contrast to the reports of people who have built one.

So, probably all I want to know is here somewhere, just hiding... Or?

Cheers,

U.
Old Wed 22 January 2014, 13:58
jeep534
Just call me: archie

prichard, wv
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattermark View Post
Maybe I use the wrong search strategy, but I did not yet find a general introduction to the MechMate project on this site - all articles get immediately to secondary details like sheet sizes to be processed etc.

Where do I find a general description of the potential result of building a Mechmate, the general concept of the machine, its unique properties, that shows what the machine can (resolution, loads, materials), what is needed to build one (a complete metal workshop including welding and steel milling), what kind of personal skills, what space, what tools are necessary?

Hiding all plans behind a payment barrier is also understandable but not really helpful on the first approach - there are so many DIY CNC concepts in the world today that this is not really inviting - in contrast to the reports of people who have built one.

So, probably all I want to know is here somewhere, just hiding... Or?

Cheers,

U.
Welcome to the forum,
My question to you is where do you want to go with this, router, plasma, cut size in inches or feet Like 4' X 8' cut area or other. for example with a plasma machine you will want the table longer so as to give yourself room as to not hit the carriage with the stock as you are placing it on the table. It all starts with the cutting device, torch, router, plasma.

I will help where I can.
archie =) =) =)
Old Wed 22 January 2014, 15:34
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Everything you are asking is answered in the build threads posted. Pull up a chair and spend a few hours reading what others have done. The plans are blueprint to follow. Nothing more.
Old Wed 12 March 2014, 10:35
don15042
Just call me: don

freedom
United States of America
I thin 4 X 8 is the best for me
Old Wed 12 March 2014, 11:23
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
That is going to be your choice
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 21:25
kiwiken

Wallerawang
Australia
Hi,
I'm starting to do all the research for building a mechmate as my second router.
I want to be able to cut 2440x1220 sheets, reading a post above it says I will a table with a min off 2940x1720.
What I need to know is the over all lenght of the Y axis from end of motor to the end of the other motor.
I've got to work out if the table will fit into my car shed.

Regards,
Ken
Old Sun 06 April 2014, 22:56
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
As a ball park estimate, you need foot print of parking space for 1 car for comfortable operation of a 4x8 Mechmate.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 00:28
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Ken (kiwiken), to run 1220 x2440 you will need a machine 3040 x 1720, not 2940. Mine is for 1200x2400 and is 3000 long.

Cheers
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 02:05
kiwiken

Wallerawang
Australia
Hi,
Bruce - You would still be able to cut 2440x1220 sheets since the MM is designed
to cut 50mm in all directions, is that right.
My car shed is 6mx3m, so I need to know the max width of the Y gantry from motor end to motor end, so I can see if there's room for me to get passed if. I'm not built like a rake.

Regard,
Ken
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 02:12
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Do leave walk way around the Mechmate.
Old Mon 07 April 2014, 02:22
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Yup, the X should be your cutting X + 600 hence my 3000. I haven't yet come across an MDF sheet 1220 x 2440 so I figured that 2400 should be OK for doing 2440 if neccessary due to, as you point out, the MM being capable of going 50mm beyond any side. Give me a little bit and I will chuck the 2 X motors on and measure across them later tonight.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read