MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 16 February 2013, 19:46
jd.roberts
Just call me: JD

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Got the first bits of steel for the table, Just need the main beams, had to special order, all they had in stock was 11.5lb Gonna be cutting and welding tomorrow and all day Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (8).JPG (31.0 KB, 880 views)
Old Sun 17 February 2013, 21:12
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
got the monocoque car welded up at least up until I flipped it over. I then realized one corner was .040 off my table I have only welded from a-j do I need to remove this or is this an acceptable tolerance?
Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
JD
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 11:31
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
I realize without pictures it's hard to determine what I'm talking about. Here's what I'm looking at, the gap is actually .012. Three sheets of copy paper fills the space nicely. I'm using all thread to square the sides but I think I have a little warpping causing this gap. Should I try to clamp it to the surface and weld or is .012 acceptable. If there is already a thread where someone has dealt with this I couldn't find it using search.

Thanks,

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .012 Car.JPG (29.1 KB, 829 views)
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 12:21
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I do not think that will be an issue. Are you sure the table is true? ie what happens if you rotate the car 180 degrees?
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 12:54
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Yes on the true table, table saw, checked with steel rule. Same gap on opposite side when flipped, is this something I can remove in V-roller adjustments? I think I saw a thread about V-roller mounting having a little adjustment wiggle.
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 18:40
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Little tweaking and clamping and we got her done, now time to grind and prime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monocoque car.JPG (38.7 KB, 824 views)
Old Sat 06 April 2013, 18:36
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hey everyone, it's been a little while, I had to make up my mind for my table size, So I decided to build a Mechmate that can handle baltic birch (60"X60") and still be able to cut 48"X96" So far I have the Y car tubes done, most of the electronics, dry wired, (no juice) still waiting for Antek to get some power supplies in stock. Today, I got some of the base table done. 8" C-Channel 13.75lb had to be special ordered, and will be here Monday, all they had in stock was 11.5lb.
It's a good feeling when a pile of parts starts to look like something like a Mechmate.

I'll post more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Table 1.JPG (73.2 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg Table 2.JPG (66.7 KB, 722 views)
Old Sun 07 April 2013, 06:33
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
JD looks like you're moving along nicely! Good Luck. Tom
Old Mon 08 April 2013, 08:23
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Thanks Tom, Good luck on yours also, looks like your about ready to cross the finish line.
Old Mon 08 April 2013, 17:21
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Nice thought, but no, way far away from finishing. Finishing up the control box build tomorrow night (I'm welding up a box from left over materials - why not save a dollar or two). Having a hard time finding the time to do it all, family, business, household stuff, taxes (don't get me started). I find myself in the shop after midnight and back in it at 5am a lot. I really can't wait until its done. Hope you're able to find the time more easily. Best of luck. I look forward to following your build.
Old Fri 14 June 2013, 11:17
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
I'm Back!

After a 2 month delay called...Life. I'm back at the MM I have a cooled shop now and a 220 mig welder to use, so much nicer than multi-passes with the 110V. Made this yesterday.

Gantry1.jpg
Old Sun 16 June 2013, 08:05
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Good to see you back.
Old Sat 29 June 2013, 10:18
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Thanks, Pete.
Ok, I have built these using Metalheads kits and instructions in the forum.
I have a question though, is the odd looking plate for the Z axis? And do I have it in the right orientation for welding and assembly?

Thanks,

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z motor plate2.JPG (58.1 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg Reduction Boxes2.JPG (58.7 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg Z motor plat 1.JPG (53.4 KB, 461 views)
Old Sat 29 June 2013, 10:37
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
JD, I cannot comment on the orientation of that style. I started with gear drives and modified the same ratio with a belt drive. Yours looks like a 4:1. Contact Metalhead for the exact arrangement as that design is after the revision of prints I have.

From your pictures I see 2 for the X, B, and Y and the other I would believe is for the Z. With the original prints, the X, B and Y had the same plates and the Z was different.

Hope that helps.
Old Sat 29 June 2013, 10:51
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
That's what I'm thinking , I don't see this plate in my prints, however I have seen it in pics mounted on the Z axis in the forum and there has been talk that there are 2 different z plates available. Just want to make sure I've got the right one and the right orientation.

Thanks,

JD
Old Mon 01 July 2013, 14:22
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
All Motor plates are done, Metalheads tutorial http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3354 worked like a champ. Now time to start grinding the rails.
Old Sun 08 January 2017, 10:29
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Happy New Year, Grinding rails.

Happy New year everyone. I have found some time to get back at it, after a year of screwing around. Raising kids, training for new job, and moving to a different house. I have spent the last few weekends building my MechMate.

1. I have the table welded up and flipped, it took 6 guys and my wife to supervise. Still need to add some side supports on table.

2. Have all power wired from house and power wired from power supply into contacts etc, to feed break out board for control box.

3. Created a nice set of wrong height rails, and then re-created the correct size.

I am now finishing up grinding my rails (again) hope to be done today, and then ready to drill holes to attach rails.

Thanks,
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170107_131949_001 (1).jpg (116.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20170107_131828.jpg (77.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 20170107_131749.jpg (77.3 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by jd.roberts; Sun 08 January 2017 at 10:47..
Old Wed 11 January 2017, 18:55
Kornerking
Just call me: Pete #127

Big Falls, Mn
United States of America
You're almost there.
Get your gantry up on the rails and watch it roll.
Then the excitement starts.
Old Wed 11 January 2017, 22:16
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hi Pete, I have to admit, I clamped my rails up and placed my gantry up and watched it roll back and forth for about an hour. However, had to get back to work, got all rails ground, switched over to a sanding pad with 120, (What a nice polish) finished the third rail and got about 2 feet on my last rail and my grinder made a funny grunt...ugh sound and got extremely hot within seconds. In other words it died. I will be picking up a new grinder this Friday.

Last edited by jd.roberts; Wed 11 January 2017 at 22:17.. Reason: Add Pic
Old Thu 12 January 2017, 06:13
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Ha! Congratulations, having a grinder give up the ghost is a rite of passage. They really don't like the duty cycle that rail grinding puts them through.
Old Thu 12 January 2017, 20:00
jd.roberts

Mesa, AZ
United States of America
Hey Brad,
It was honestly amazing just how fast it heated up after it gave up the ghost. I could not hold onto it with leather gloves, I just sat it on the floor and unplugged it...Sound of Taps in the background.
Old Sun 15 January 2017, 13:09
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Looking good....
Old Mon 06 March 2017, 08:17
firechief
Just call me: Tim

Battle Creek
United States of America
Every thing looking good. I'am just starting my rails grind, hope they come out as good as your look.

firechief
Old Thu 27 April 2017, 20:43
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Mine did not come out that nice, But I probably not gonna be as accurate a cutter as most. But for what I do it's ok

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read