MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 15 May 2017, 03:50
Dangle_kt
Just call me: Dangle

Lancashire
United Kingdom
UK based build begins with a massive leg up

After posting on here about my build planning, I was contacted by a UK based member who had to sell up due to limited space - his build hadn't been used in a while and was in peices, it also wasn't exactly what I was after, being 10x5 rather than 8x4, it was a plasma cutter not a router and it was using motors/controllers I wasn't considering....

That said, the steel structure was all there, running v groove bearings, rack and pinion drives and all steel construction, the time saving was well worth the monetary costs of buying it as a going concern.

Jim arrived at mine on Sunday, and what a lovely fella he was.

We unloaded (man - those side rails are heavy!) and put it all in my garage for storage until I can move into my workshop rental next month.

I'll get some photos, but from the looks of it, I need new wiring, controller and maybe motors, new router specific z assembly, spindle, bed material, extraction and a load of paint to get it looking like new again...along with a set of mechmate decals of course!

All in all I am absolutely chuffed, and realise I am cheating massively!

What it means is that I can short cut the build, and focus on the bits I don't know how to do myself (as I can cut steel and weld reasonably well already so I wasn't really looking forward to those bits!) - so by doing the electronics myself I should be able to trouble shoot any issues that arise in use as I will have built/assembled all the bits that are likely to break.

I'm still not decided on stepper vs clearpath servos... if I'm honest, it's the cost of the clearpaths complete kit that is putting me off, and the build came with NEMAs fitted which I could use in a pinch to get me going, so at cheapest its power supply, controller, smooth stepper, wiring...

I'll get some photos up once I am moved into the new shop, if anyone wants me, I'll be at the physio getting my back sorted after pretending to be able to lift stuff yesterday
Old Mon 15 May 2017, 05:12
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome. Sounds like a "win-win". Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old Tue 16 May 2017, 00:59
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Welcome.
I hope you don't get too many headaches to go with your backache.
Was that the frame from York ?
Old Tue 16 May 2017, 04:23
Dangle_kt

Lancashire
United Kingdom
It was from Yorkshire, not sure exactly where as it was delivered. I was just kidding about getting a sore back, though I will be hiring/buying a engine hoist for putting it together
Old Mon 17 July 2017, 04:29
Dangle_kt

Lancashire
United Kingdom
Well I got round to assembly on the weekend. Firstly it's chuffin' massive!

secondly, I have lots more to do....

Wiring, Z axis assembly, spindle, motors/drivers, wiring, extraction, controller and lots of little jobs too

In terms of bits I am not sure about....Previous owner has removed the far motor and pinion off the X axis so it could lifted, but not included it so I need to fit out what pinion it is so I can get a duplicate - I have the one on the far side, so I am hoping they are pretty easy to measure up.

Also I am not sure why, but the Y carriage is floating, in that only 3 bearings are touching the rails, I can rock it so all 4 connect - is this normal? I assume the pinnion when tensioned pulls the carriage down square?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20229822_10213741315910003_2334033261388783161_o.jpg (93.5 KB, 315 views)
Old Mon 17 July 2017, 05:15
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
No Sir, the Y should not rock.
You need to adjust the wheels so all are in contact with the rails
and the carriage sits level.
It is not the pinion under tension to put it right.

The cross bracing looks a little small in section.

Last edited by lonestaral; Mon 17 July 2017 at 05:29.. Reason: Cross bracing
Old Mon 17 July 2017, 05:29
Dangle_kt

Lancashire
United Kingdom
Thanks lonestaral, I'll take a look at that to get it sitting square.

In terms of the X axis - I'm not sure what stock it was made from - I bought it complete (in pieces)
Old Mon 17 July 2017, 05:31
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
The X is ok.
It was an optical illusion and my old eyes.
Check your cross bracing section, it looks a bit delicate.
Old Mon 17 July 2017, 05:37
Dangle_kt

Lancashire
United Kingdom
I have 6 cross braces to still fit (they are on the floor). I hadn't brought enough nuts and bolts to the workshop...
Old Sun 23 July 2017, 00:23
carcan
Just call me: Carlo

Camparada
Italy
Why the X beams are assembled "at the mirror"

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read