MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 12 May 2013, 07:47
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Question regarding Plasma cutter on MM

My mind got to drifting in the direction of a MM Plasma cutter today, and I started reading some threads regarding the subject.

Any reason not to add a cable chain to the other side of the gantry and base table and use it to run the torch lead through, totally separated from motor wiring, other than cost?

Seems it would do away with potential EMI issues from the start.....

Or am I missing something?
Old Sun 12 May 2013, 13:22
nisma
Just call me: chris

bz
Italy
Check out this type of cable system, on a mechmate copy for plasma:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/precis...c_history.html

The advantage is that it needs less cable and minor bending of cable resulting in
higher cable duration. There is annother system is this, i don´t have found a better
image. If you need ask and i make a illustration
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...shed-table.jpg
Basically is a L shaped cable holder, or a stright one and some rope from ceiling or
ceiling rood.
Old Sun 12 May 2013, 22:08
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Darren I think that would be alright. My company, unfortunately, runs the torch lead inside the cable carrier along with the shielded motor cables. 9 out of 10 times on installs it doesn't effect with emi. I am still trying to win over the engineers on separating the torch lead differently. For now I am having them zip tie the lead to the outside of the cable carrier. Baby steps I guess.

The main thing to watch out for is the location of your power supply to your cables and computer. Also don't coil the work clamp up like when coiling up a extension cord. It creates a quite a problem so uncoil the work lead.

Hope that helps a little. Of course proper grounding is a big thing and I'm sure you know about earth grounds and star grounds.
Old Mon 13 May 2013, 04:14
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I run my torch cable & all cables in cable chain.

All you need to do is paying attention to your cable shielding & adhere to good grounding practices religiously.
Old Fri 07 March 2014, 10:26
clutch23w
Just call me: John

Orem, UT
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyjames View Post

Hope that helps a little. Of course proper grounding is a big thing and I'm sure you know about earth grounds and star grounds.
I have just joined the forum and am trying to catch up on some of the topics, could you please point out why a star ground adds benefit? It seems that the extra wiring would only add to the emi.
Old Fri 07 March 2014, 11:09
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Star ground is directly grounding each item to a single ground point. It helps prevent ground loops, and keeps the route to ground direct for each device rather than 'daisy chaining' through connections where other devicdes might have a 'shorter distance to ground' electrically.

Basically, ground everything using insulated grounding straps (big wire) all going to a single ground point is electrically a more sound arrangement for the 'just in case' issues none of us want to happen anyway (and don't happen in a 'perfect world').

Hope that helps. Someone else with more experience might have a better explaination, but this works for me.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read