MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 November 2013, 07:48
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Micarta, Alternate Material Source

I was wondering after seeing all the you tube videos on micarta if this technique could be used to replace aluminum or plastic pieces where source materials were not available. Micarta is polyester resin soaked cloth and or paper. The stuff was used back in the 1930s to made radio housing and car parts and knife handles. The cloth/paper can be cut to size then treated and then trimmed. If you use various colors the finished parts can be quite beautiful.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 10:33
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Are you referring to Bakelite?
It doesn't has the best of structural strength. no way it can "replace" aluminum. it does has good dielectric characteristics & reasonable heat resistance.
They are expensive.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 10:45
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
No, this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 13:42
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufnol

Bakelite was a forerunner using wood flour. I used the above to make my reduction belt drives in the place of Aluminium, has held up well over the last 3 or 4 years. There are two types: paper based for use only as an insulator and fiber based which has more mechanical properties.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 15:54
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Cool

Alan thanks do you have any pictures of the process or end products.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 16:02
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Check out You Tube

The stuff I see at the gun shows is really tuff. The people pushing this as a replacement for wood/plastic handles on their equipment are the survivalist type.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 16:13
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Look at this

I was looking at this post and the member Paulus (spelling) was using a laminate material.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=4149&page=2
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 20:23
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I always thought that bakelite (tufnol...etc), or/and paper/fiber resin board were replaced by modern plastic. Also, Aluminum has tens of times strength:weight ratio.
Surely if one can re-design the parts for such weak material.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 20:53
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Bakelite NO, Micarta YES

Bakelite was used as an early plastic. If you ever worked on bakelite electronics it smell like sulfur when it burns. Micarta uses modern day polyester resins either one to one or with MEKP catalyst. If used with fiberglass it is call fiberglass and used to make cars and boat. Here is a question for you. what little old chubby dude made the equipment that bonds all new Corvettes together. Yep, me. Did you know Chevy doesn't make fenders, hoods for Corvettes. They are made right along International and Mack truck parts. Except for the first couple years Corvette are made from SMC(sheet molding Compound. So replace fiberglass with colorful cloth and or paper and you made.

Old Wed 06 November 2013, 21:22
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I use Bakelite or the modern resin impregnated fabric for high current/heat electrical insulation on stick welders, generators & other electrical terminations, smell like crap when they get burnt. local tradesman call them "electrical wood". & these tradesman won't pay a single extra cent for colorful thingy.

Who still make their own parts nowadays Out sourcing is the key to laying off workers

IMHO, bumpers/fenders for vehicles are suppose to destroy itself when impact, if it doesn't, the people in the car will. Fiberglass composite works wonderfully in this aspect, along with other composite materials.

French drivers has an old saying, "the bumper is there for a purpose"
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 22:57
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
see here: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=317 for my build of my belt reduction drives.
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 04:26
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Sexy clamps Alan C
Old Sun 17 November 2013, 17:58
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Is that why most french cars are ugly?
Old Sun 17 November 2013, 23:55
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
they thought the Eiffel tower was ugly and wanted to tear it down. lets see hairy women, ugly cars, pour financial decisions yep that is France. Next country to go belly up.
Old Mon 18 November 2013, 20:23
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Harmonic Dampener, I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFbCHpvFaZM He had mounted a harmonic dampener on his stepper motor. Does anyone know anything about using these to quiet the machine.
Old Tue 19 November 2013, 03:55
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Hurshy, I actually enjoy the stepper motor sound, its music to my ears.
BTW, once you start cutting, the motor sound is your least concern. The noise which I'm most concern are 1) dust collector fan, 2) vacuum table fan.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read