MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 21 July 2010, 12:43
Rad Racer
Just call me: Wayne #25

Minnesota
United States of America
David, glad you like the build, it was a lot of fun.

I do not want to share the DXF files out of respect for Bill Pentz. He put much effort into the design and probably would not appreciate me giving them away freely.

Creating your own cut files is not that difficult.....in-fact it's a perfect exercise to hone your CAD skills Give it a try, what do you have to lose.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Wayne
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 07:08
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I am collecting parts for my cyclone, and found a very nice 1.5kW 2800 RPM (2HP) motor. Could the cyclone be sized to use the smaller motor and keep the efficiency at acceptable level?
It would be only used to suck dust from the cnc, no other tools or blast gates.
I know that a 2.2kw or 3HP , 2800rpm with flange mount would be nice but I am having a hard time finding it at a right price.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 14:36
bill pentz
Just call me: bill pentz

Gold River, CA
United States of America
KenC did an excellent job ferreting out the relevant information from my site.

A 2 hp motor can give you good chip collection but is not going to give good fine dust collection because it will not move enough air. The ideal size for your cyclone with a 2 hp motor is a 24” diameter to provide the best fine dust separation, but you can make your cyclone as small as 10” in diameter and still get great chip separation without too much loss in airflow.

For good fine dust collection you need a bigger motor. Thirty years plus of experience by those firms that guarantee customer air quality says you need a real airflow of 1000 CFM for good fine dust collection at most small shop stationary woodworking tools. The blower tables show we need between 3.5 and 4 hp to actually move a real 1000 CFM. You can compensate for your slower motor speed with pulleys or a larger diameter blower impeller, but your 2 hp motor can only move about 600 CFM of real airflow without pulling too many amps. Real airflow is about half of vendor claimed maximum airflows due to resistance of our tool hoods, ducting, cyclone separator, and filters.

I strongly urge any whose systems don’t move a real 1000 CFM to vent their cyclones directly outside, always work in properly fitted good dual cartridge mask like the 3M 7500 units, and use good cross ventilation in your shop. Most typical two-car garage sized shops get good ventilation if they will run at least a 20” commercial fan in a side door with either the main door or side window open for good cross ventilation. My particle counters show we need to keep running the exhaust fan for about thirty minutes after we stop making dust to amply clear the air.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 15:36
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Thank you Bill. I will surely look for a 3HP or larger motor.
So for our 50Hz 2800RPM motors it would just need a larger impeller?
Old Wed 02 May 2012, 17:50
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
I figured some of the stuff needed and acquired a 3hp flange mount motor.
So now this is what I had in mind
- a 14" impeller
- 3hp 2880 rpm motor
- 20" diameter cyclone
- 150mm duct pipes

would this be ok or I got some of the data wrong?

I extracted profiles and measures from a 3D model, and made this autocad dwg for a 15" impeller. Question is, do I just scale it down (diameter, height) for a 14"
here is the link to dwg
impeller.dwg
Old Tue 21 May 2013, 11:18
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (43.1 KB, 257 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read