MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 08 June 2009, 12:17
derekkest
Just call me: Derek

Cleveland
United States of America
Greetings all From United States

Ok, so I have been carving, scrolling, building furniture etc. for awhile now. But ohhhhhhh the feeling I get when I see a CNC machine going at it.

Just think, I can tell the wife I am heading down into the man cave for a few hours to carve and in reality put my feet up, turn on the TV and watch my CNC machine do all the work.

But, I do have a few questions regarding these plans. I am going to be moving in a few years and this looks really heavy. One of those thing you dont bring into a room but build inside a room...

Is it able to be taken down and transfered at all? Can it be made safely with lighter alloys, wood?

But my biggest question is, where do I start?
Old Mon 08 June 2009, 12:27
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Derek,

Welcome to the site.

The machine can be built to move. After building the steel structure, we took the legs off of it and placed it all on a large trailer and put it back together. You just have to build it so you can remove the end pieces.

The place to start is to download the plans and start studying them. Also start reading about the different topics. As you look over the plans you will have questions. Go to the area that deals with your questions and you will find your answers. Based on your experience you have decided where you want to start. If you know steel start with the table. If you are an electronics guy start with the kitchen table project.

If you have questions, some one will be happy to answer them.

Good luck and have fun.

I use to live in Medina.
Old Mon 08 June 2009, 12:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Derek,
Start reading some of the build threads here. Several people have made bolt together tables out of steel and several have moved them after the initial building process without incident. There are some people who have used wood as a base table frame material as well.

As for starting check out the build threads on the completed machines to get an idea of how they go together. Download the plans and look them over, if something in the plans gives you questions look for the assemblies in the build threads to see how it was done. Try the search engine as well , it turns up a lot of things you might be looking for
Old Tue 09 June 2009, 06:29
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hey Derek,

Welcome!

I built what has come to be called the "bolted" table. Several builders have built using this approach. Basically this means that the Cross Bearers are bolted to the main beans rather than welded. And that the end cross supports between the end legs are bolted rather than welded. You can see pictures of this approach by checking out several of the threads.

We moved my table from my house to my son's house. When we disassembled the MechMate, the largest individual parts were the 2 Main Beams with legs and cross supports attached. The rack was also attached.
Two men can lift one of these. Each one weighs about 200 pounds. We did not have a fork lift or hoist.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read