MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 22 April 2009, 00:33
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Scott I can`t wait to see that white paint full of dust
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 19:51
forks_dad
Just call me: Scott #50

Rainier (Oregon)
United States of America
Yes, Hennie, but it will hide the dust so much more than the blue. I was really going for a brighter work area - don't ask me why, I don't expect to have my head in there all that much. Here it is with all the rails in place - next stop....the gantry

Old Thu 23 April 2009, 07:38
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Scott,
Your table is looking good.
Old Sat 25 April 2009, 08:13
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
I like the white paint!
Old Sat 25 April 2009, 08:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The internal white makes me think of a military tank, or a coal mine, that have surprisingly white interiors. Nice touch!
Old Sun 26 April 2009, 15:27
DeadGuy
Just call me: Dennis #51

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Getting more done!

Getting more done today. Who needs a tool changing spindle!

Dennis

Old Sun 03 May 2009, 20:47
forks_dad
Just call me: Scott #50

Rainier (Oregon)
United States of America
...and more paint...

All the gantries and y cars are welded. Biggest time consumer now is the painting... and painting, preceeded by sanding...and sanding. I'm a woodworker, and maybe a little picky about finishes. I'll only get one shot at painting this and when it is finally running, be so covered in dust that I'll wonder why I spent so much time on surface preparation - call it pride in having a fine piece of machinery. Here's what happened this weekend - next step will be to put the racks on and start thinking about the electronics - I'm terrible when it comes to understanding it - but there is a ton of help in these forums and I should be able to succeed - with help from all of you -

The gantry and y-car (with a Z car in the background)

More progress - getting ready for all the fine points...
Old Mon 04 May 2009, 20:37
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
That looks *really* nice!
Old Tue 05 May 2009, 20:58
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Scott,

Why don't I drive out Oregon and haul off that 240Z that's just getting in your way? I had an orange '72 back in high school. Sure wish I still had it.
Old Tue 12 May 2009, 18:30
DeadGuy

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Angry

Drive parts are starting to show up. I'm wishing for a June 1st start up.

I'm probably just dreaming.

Dennis
Old Tue 12 May 2009, 18:40
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Dennis,
Watch that fabric material under your electronics. Depending on what the material is you could have some static damage to your circuit cards if you are not careful. Better to not use it and be on the safe side.
Old Tue 12 May 2009, 23:02
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, I cannot imagine any part of the power supply or Gecko's getting damaged by static, and I see the PMDX lying on its original wrapping, so Dennis is a careful guy
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 06:40
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
The problem is not it just sitting there, but more when you would pick up the pmdx for example. It is probably low on probability, but just thought I would mention it. Also depends largely on what the material is made of. I did not mean to infer that Denis was not careful.
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 07:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Are opto-isolators sensitive for static? I can't think that a PMDX contains any other item which may be sensitive - it has no memories or processors or stuff like that. Quite frankly, I have never thought to handle any of the MM parts with any precautions other than for welding sparks!
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 07:23
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
This may be just me being over cautious, but any semiconductor device (integrated circuit) is capable of being damaged from electrostatic discharge. The problem is that damage does not always cause catastrophic failure. Sometimes the failure is just partial damage with intermittent problems for example. The geckos are the most protected because of the shielded case used around the circuit card, but the inputs could still be damaged. The pmdx card is wide open and you could have a discharge to any on the integrated circuit pins when you touch it. Best practice is to ground yourself before touching any of these components. Just to be safe. Same goes for computer cards and motherboards, touch the grounded case before touching the electronics. All those ESD courses at work may have poisoned my brain though. There used to be a time I did not care.
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 18:33
DeadGuy

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
This is the back wall of the room dave made in his shop for his MM. His wife had to paint this on the wall before he could put his MM in. He is now assembling his MM. More pics to follow.

Dennis

Old Wed 13 May 2009, 20:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Dave (Dragonfinder) has found another dragon. Nice picture! I can guess what Dave's first cutting project is going to be. Why the interest in the dragons?
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 14:01
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
I’ve admired dragons for a long time, I have several guarding our house. My wife wants to be reincarnated as a komodo dragon. The dragon in the MM room is an oriental dragon, rather thin. I’m built more like a European dragon a little thicker in the middle.

A dragon is on a list of projects, however not the first. The first one will be a life size Holstein cow that we’re going to put in a friends yard when she’s not home, she has a house of black and white cow stuff
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 18:24
DeadGuy

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Ok, I have decided. I have seen blue and black, blue and white, blue only and red. Mine is blue and yellow. It is now assembly time!

Dennis
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 22:49
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I am like the European Dragon also a bit bigger in the middle.
Just a silly question / observation... How do you do you pictures on the forum. When I am home or on my Blackberry, I see all your photo's. When at work I see some of them and some not....part of it must be a problem on this computer, but then I would expect to see no pictures....and they show up very small on this computer....
Just wondering....other posts on this forum the pictures are all OK.
Old Thu 14 May 2009, 23:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, try a right-click -> Properties on the picture to see where they are hosted. Some of the pics above are .jpg's at Photobucket, while the most recent are .gif thumbnails at Imageshack
Old Fri 15 May 2009, 00:14
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Dennis, love the color scheme...looks like all the machines at my work!

blue.jpg
Old Fri 15 May 2009, 02:32
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
In Post 76 the picture is a GIF on imageshack, This I see
In Post 79 the picture is also a GIF on imageshack and this is just a little grey block. Tried to refresh but stil no picture.

Ok see it ..our server is blocking certain sites...but why only certain pictures on the same blocked site ??

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Fri 15 May 2009 at 02:42..
Old Fri 15 May 2009, 04:27
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, those two pics are two different servers:
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2...smmroom.th.gif
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9830/painted.th.gif
Old Fri 15 May 2009, 08:30
dragonfinder1

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Kobus, I don't post the pictures, I give them to Dennis, he puts them on imageshack and links them to the forum. That way it saves memory on the forum and imageshack doesn't care how big the pictures are. Scott uses photobucket for the same reason. I have an image gallery but I can't link from there to here. As to why some of the pictures don't show up, I don't know, sometimes I can't see them either.
Old Sun 24 May 2009, 12:47
DeadGuy

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
Getting more parts ready!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gearbox1.jpg (103.3 KB, 1266 views)
File Type: jpg Gearbox2.jpg (129.8 KB, 1268 views)
File Type: jpg Gearbox3.jpg (109.4 KB, 1267 views)
File Type: jpg Gearbox4.jpg (126.3 KB, 1264 views)
Old Tue 26 May 2009, 13:16
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Looking Good Dennis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy View Post
Getting more parts ready!
What motors did you decide to go with? Also what size belt and pulley's are you using? Please share! I like the geared OM's, but I would love to go belt drive for performance and save a few bucks everywhere I can.

Thanks,
Travis
Old Tue 26 May 2009, 15:39
dragonfinder1

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
J. R. Hatcher found the parts, we bought 'em and came up with the side plates that suited our needs. Dennis is going to build a clear guard that will keep the chips out.

Below is the thread that has the information, I think it's post 343 or so in J.R.'s build.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...spd-si&page=12
Old Tue 26 May 2009, 19:53
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Dave,
If you copy the link location from the post number like this,
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=343

then the link will bring you right to the post you identified.
Old Tue 26 May 2009, 20:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Right-click on the post number, Copy Shortcut, then Paste into your new post.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read