MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 09 May 2010, 03:46
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Alternatives to Gecko Drive?

I've been looking into building a second machine (possibly more) and considering Motion King Steppers. As I look around in Taiwan, most CNC machines use drivers that accept 220VAC. It is the power supply and controller in one unit for each axis. I don't know if they take the same step and dir signals that Gecko drives use. Does anyone know of anything like this that could possibly be substitute for the Gecko G203V.

I'm not unhappy with my Gecko Drives in any way. Their products are top shelf and I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation. I'm just thinking; if the Motion King Motors are so much cheaper and just about comparable in performance to the much respected OM brand, is there a "Motion King" alternative to the Gecko?

To clarify my intentions, I run a language school in Taiwan and want to start offering a CNC router course for students interested with the entire course taught in English. I want to teach how to build a CNC router from scratch and how to operate it. Earlier on, I asked about a "mini" Mechmate and that is what I've been planning.

I have already purchased a 25 seat license from Vectric for my classroom. Now I'm on the hunt for a cheaper alternative to the Gecko G203V + separate power supply.
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 04:38
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Ok David.

Two in one, interesting.
As you good say, the quality is directly proportional to the price.

Quote:
If you want TRUE resolution you get that through gearing/belt reduction/higher TPI. It's pointless to have resolution many times greater than what your mechanics can hold. Errors multiply. IF you have .001 of backlash and have a resolution of .00001 then it adds little to the actual accuracy of the machine.
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 07:30
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
MotionKing offer drives under their own label.

The most commonly offered Chinese drive is Leadshine, or differently labelled equivalents.

I know little of these drives, but they all appear to be compatible to Mach and EMC in that they will accept step/dir. pulses.
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 08:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
David, a search for "leadshine" on this forum shows up quite a few results - some MM's are already running with them.
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 11:03
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Thank you Gerald!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read