MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 07 November 2012, 06:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
LOL!!!

Climbing the plasma cutting learning curve... Exhausting...

Any how, here is a list of pending works once I gain an acceptable skill level on running the plasma table.

1) boxing up the spaghetti cables with some rigid cable trunking... Make sure I don't trip over them... at least.
2) add a 2nd bob for more input. As it is, the system is running at bare minimum. I planned to have remote buttons, E-stop input to BOB, limit switches, & a 2nd mount for Oxy torch. Even laid most of the cables...
3) anything that fancies my bloated ego...

BTW, talking about swimming pool... couldn't decide on the which liquid for filling the pool.
Dilute bleach
Radiator coolant, (not anti-freeze, from where I'm from, its unnecessary but there are Radiator fluid for lorry engines.)
Oil based Water soluble cutting fluid
Water based cutting fluid...
Old Thu 08 November 2012, 02:03
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
Umm my knowledge of pools is that poor people fill with chlorine, the well off fill with salt water (I'm well off I've got the Pacific ocean at my door) the really rich fill with Champagne LOL

would of thought that plain water with maybe some bleach or similar (cheap) would be the solution as you should be changing the water regularly to empty all the slag out
Old Thu 08 November 2012, 05:13
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thinking a loud.

Bleach doesn't have anti-rust property...

After having 1st hand experience on the mess it made... I don't see it practical to empty all the slag.... Even filtering through re-circulation won't be effective, the dust & slag will not suspend in the fluid.
I'm thinking of scraping them out periodically & make-up the evaporation loss by topping up with water....
Old Thu 08 November 2012, 12:42
skillalot
Just call me: Sascha

Gelderland
Netherlands
What is that capacitive height sensor doing around your plasma torch? That's for oxy cutting. Start using your Arcvoltage as a height regulation!
Old Thu 08 November 2012, 20:05
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
LOL!!!

Among the myriad of choices & options during the planning stage, I had the choice to start with voltage based or capacitive sensor controller. The capacitive sensor won the coin toast.

My final table will be a twin torch cnc table, a Plasma & a Oxy-torch. Most likely on a single Z-axis assembly. Still has no idea how to go about it at this moment of time...

Capacitive Height Sensor is also good for plasma torch. One advantage is it will never dive into the plate under any circumstances and I can stand by this as tried everything to crash the torch on the sheet surface I can come up with & failed . Its as if there is an invisible force field stopping the torch tip/sensor ring from getting withing a few mm of the surface.
BUT on the other hand it has the tendency of going too high during cutting travel & not returning. I suspect it is cause by metal slag caught/deposit on the bottom of sensor ring & on the sheet surface. or is it my incompetence in Mach3 & its THC functions...

As we are speaking, I'm still reading on the subject on voltage based height controller. Looks like I can cook one up with a microprocessor processing the Divider Arc Voltage tap on my A80, get voltage setting by feeding from Mach3 screen... etc... too early to post anything meaningful.

Last edited by KenC; Thu 08 November 2012 at 20:10..
Old Fri 09 November 2012, 01:30
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
Hi Ken I would have thought that if it's purely for rust prevention then the radiator coolant would do the trick i'm just worried that it may be very toxic when the plasma vaporises it also have the same concerns with cutting fluid (some are known to cause cancer). The plasmas that i have seen all have plain water in thin stainless steel trays (or disposable steel trays), some that don't get used often get the diluted bleach to prevent mould / fungus growth.
Old Fri 09 November 2012, 01:50
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
hmm... never though of toxic voolant vapour... anyway, plasma smoke isn't my idea of healthy environment either... Gotta think over it... again...
Old Fri 09 November 2012, 02:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Found this Plasma Quench Recipe

1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder
1 teaspoon of Physan 20
(their website says : disinfectant, fungicide, virucide, and algaecide which effectively controls a wide variety of pathogens on hard surfaces and plants. )
1 oz Ultramarine blue food-grade dye (For visual effect I presume)
Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.

Others claimed neat Sodium Nitrite alone will work too...
Old Fri 09 November 2012, 03:58
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
another recipe
4 pounds sodium nitrite powder.
3 pounds borax
1 oz food grade dye...

Supposed to treat 190 gallons.
Old Fri 09 November 2012, 05:54
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I have a down draft table on my Plasma cutter.
Old Sat 10 November 2012, 07:26
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
maybe this, it popped as a commercial to me today

http://www.greencut.com/plasma_arc_tables.html

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read