MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 10 September 2007, 20:55
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This Pabst fan . . . . .

110V Cooling Fan
EBM-Pabst, AC Fan 92mm 115VAC 52.4CFM, Price $46.06
Spec Mouser page

. . . . . . works very well for us. Used on the spindle and in the control cabinet. Expensive, but a high-quality construction. Ball bearings.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 21:01
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Cooling fans

I contacted John at antek about a power supply. I have a muffin fan that I thought I may be able to use but it is 48vdc and John is suggesting a supply that has a 45volt no load tap in addition to the 12v for the pmdx.
I assume that the 45 volts would under power the fan and possibly burn it out. Am I better off to just purchace a new fan that runs on 120 or find a wal wart transformer for the 48v fan or would the 45 be ok for the fan (I'm guessing not or they wouldn't list it as a 48vdc fan.)
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 22:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I would think a new fan for 120VAC is the easiest, and the most replaceable for the longer term.
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 04:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Less than 20 dollars new, for a 120V muffin fan. Or free if you have an old PC laying around with one in it
Go for the new fan.
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 06:39
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Definitely spend the money on a GOOD 120VAC fan. Don't install a cheap, sleeve-bearing fan that will seize up in a short time. Get a good ball-bearing fan that will last for years. In fact, when I buy any essential electrical part that will have to be replaced sometime in the future, I try to buy two pieces so that I don't have to shut down a machine while I wait for delivery of that essential part.
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 07:48
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sean,
Most fans in computers are 12VDC fans. Would work for your box but not on 120VAC. Just a note for some that might not realize.

Heath.
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 08:13
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
I contacted John at antek about a power supply. I have a muffin fan that I thought I may be able to use but it is 48vdc and John is suggesting a supply that has a 45volt no load tap in addition to the 12v for the pmdx.
I assume that the 45 volts would under power the fan and possibly burn it out. Am I better off to just purchace a new fan that runs on 120 or find a wal wart transformer for the 48v fan or would the 45 be ok for the fan (I'm guessing not or they wouldn't list it as a 48vdc fan.)
I am using (4) 12v fans with apply green LEDs to cool my Geckos. the power is coming from the 12v side of my Antek power supply. I have posted a picture below.

Last edited by cbboatworks; Mon 10 March 2008 at 08:16..
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 08:27
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Thats a lot of cool cooling
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 10:20
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gene,
Those fans look really good. They should help keep those geckos cool. I wonder if I could find them in mechmate blue for mine? I have also seen them with tri colour leds (red, green and blue all together, one in each corner.)

Heath.
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 13:14
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Gene,
Those fans look really good. They should help keep those geckos cool. I wonder if I could find them in mechmate blue for mine? I have also seen them with tri colour leds (red, green and blue all together, one in each corner.)

Heath.
I picked these up at a local PC shop on sale for a little over $2.00pc.the best part about them are they have two ball bearings and they are quiet. Thanks
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 18:43
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
Are those case mount fans or those "case fans for towers" or cooling fans that move a lot of air?
Old Mon 10 March 2008, 19:27
cbboatworks

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Are those case mount fans or those "case fans for towers" or cooling fans that move a lot of air?
I will need to fine the boxs that the fans come in to answer your ?'s. I bought them only because they where a deal at $2.00pc.They do move alot of air so I think that they should keep the Geckos very cool. as soon as I find the box for one I will try to give you a better answer. Thanks

Gene

Last edited by cbboatworks; Mon 10 March 2008 at 19:33..
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 20:25
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I'm wiring the cooling fan for the Gecko drives. I did not have a fan for the kitchen project.

The fan is:
115 VAC
11 watts

In one of the wiring schematics, it shows the cooling fan wired directly to the input supply voltage. Don't I need a resistor? It's a 11 watt fan, what keeps the 115 VAC, 20 amp input voltage/current from overloading the fan?

The fan is impedance protected against overloading, but I have a hard time with impedance. It like resistance, but varies with frequency ... etc.
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 20:40
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I didn't need a resistor for mine. I think you are safe as long as you connect the 115 volt fan to a 115 volt source of power.
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 20:52
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Doug,

It's better to ask, ...
Old Mon 05 May 2008, 22:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, a 115V fan that only draws 11 Watts has a lot of internal resistance - that is why it only draws 11 Watts off 115V.

Connect it direct.
Old Tue 06 May 2008, 09:07
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Gerald,

I was just brain dead last night.
Old Tue 06 May 2008, 09:09
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
If you were to add a resistor to a DC fan you could reduce the fan rpm to quiet a noisy fan, but that would also reduce the airflow.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 10:50
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Factorymation is now selling fan kits for saginaw enclosures I don't see why they wouldn't work on other brand enclosures

Fan and filter kits: 115vac: sce-fa44,sce-fa66,sce-fa1010 230vac:sce-fa44-230,sce-fa66-230,sce-fa1010-230

Filter kits only: sce-fga44,sce-fga66,sce-fga1010
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 17:02
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
I'm wiring the cooling fan for the Gecko drives. I did not have a fan for the kitchen project.

The fan is:
115 VAC
11 watts

In one of the wiring schematics, it shows the cooling fan wired directly to the input supply voltage. Don't I need a resistor? It's a 11 watt fan, what keeps the 115 VAC, 20 amp input voltage/current from overloading the fan?

The fan is impedance protected against overloading, but I have a hard time with impedance. It like resistance, but varies with frequency ... etc.
I used to and sometimes still do get confused about current ratings and such.
Lets say you have a 20amp 115vac power source. Okay then you have a tool that you want to plug into that source. The device runs on 115vac but draws say .5 amps. At first thought you would think this device would get smoked by 20 amps, but the device (any device) will only draw the amount of current that it needs to run and no more even though there is a lot of extra current avaliable. Even small items that only draw milliamps but are made to run on 115vac will not burn up from too much current. That is why on a 15A breaker you have several household items running......few light bulbs, refrigerator, a clock, maybe a toaster or food disposal. None of these Items draw 15amps of current by themselves, some only draw milliamps. Now where you will get into trouble is if you try do draw more current than the circut has avaliable, then you will start seeing smoke or trip a fuse or circut breaker.

Hope that made sense.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 19:10
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Ed,

That does make sense. Thanks.

I was just brain dead that evening.

I better get off this computer and out to the shop. Geeez, your already cutting wood.
Old Mon 21 July 2008, 08:51
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Received a quote of R53-approx $6 for a PHD 4C-230HB fan.
230v, 50hz, 135mA, 2650 rpm, cfm 89 & ball bearings on shaft.
Will the price difference between this and the Pabst fan be durability, quality or is there something else that I do not read between the lines?
Old Mon 21 July 2008, 09:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Johan, it should be okay. If it stops working, the drives will protect themselves. It might not run as long as the Pabst (which is 4X the price) but the consequences of failure are not more severe.
Old Wed 06 August 2008, 04:03
james_flofull
Just call me: james

surabaya
Indonesia
hi all ....

can help me ?

i have some question ....
i'm using pmdx-131 to run stepper motor,

(1). if i use source power AC 220 V, how to wiring it at PMDX board ? (0V and 120 VAC) or (0V and 240 VAC) ?

(2). how wire e-stop and point the jumper ?

(3). how to wire fan (also the best spesification)

(4). is it possible if i use parallel port to USB cable to connect with PC ?

(5). how to wire relay ? (NO or NC )

thx

james
Old Wed 06 August 2008, 04:58
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
JAMES you haven't gone thru this forum entirely, its filled with answers for your questions. Kindly read more - everything you asked has already been answered many times over.
Old Wed 06 August 2008, 06:13
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
James,

Start with this thread,

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279

In that thread, there are links to the BOB (Break Out Board), PS (Power Supply), and other components.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read