MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 28 August 2008, 22:23
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
the beauty of CNC cutting it has a fixed time to cut and you can calculate an average reload of machine. Therefore i know how many boards get cut in a day and staff must finish the job before leaving. harder he works sooner he goes!!!
Old Thu 28 August 2008, 22:58
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Sorry Alan, just joking, but I won't mind to be part of a MM 'Franchise' We know it's a good machine, the customers know what they want and are happy with the results, but now the customer needs these parts in JHB. Instead of cutting it in CPT and shipping...the Franchise branch in JHB can cut it to the same spec.... for example...saving on transport costs and expanded NETWORKING. The other advantage is sharing cutting files between MM shops...less time spend by each shop developing cutting paths.
Old Thu 28 August 2008, 23:28
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ok Kobus this is another question.My town is not that big and as you know anybody can download drawings for free!In my town I do work for the competition and they all know what I am building as they go in and out of my shop as they want ( bakkie brigade and guys with their own shops but are limited on tools).What if my competition builds another MM in town?
There is already a thermwood, rover 20 and some other german cnc and soon to be one MM super delux model 2008 brand new built by owner.Point is my town would be to small for another MM franchise.
Old Thu 28 August 2008, 23:38
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I see your point, but the idea is to have one (1) MM Franchise / area / town. Between the MM owners we share cutting files and cutting ideas and in this way we have the advantage over the competitors that work by themselves. We cut down on design costs...Getting the bugs / cut problems sorted on a new product can take time and if we do it collectively we can save time and money....just an idea.
Old Thu 28 August 2008, 23:50
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gerald if I may ask is it possble to see how many guys have downloaded the plans in SA? I know of some new guys that contacted me for info and they would probably start their own threads soon.Kobus there is probably more MM built then the couple of us that opened threads.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 00:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
134 people said they were from South Africa when they joined this site. How many of those actually downloaded the plans, or are building, I can only guess. Did once e-mail all of them for offering special pricing/shipping on purchased components and the response was minimal (3?). Don't think there are more than 10 being built outside of Cape Town.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 00:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The idea of sharing files has never taken off. Looking at the very active and big ShopBot community, on their forum, someone (always a "newbie") often tries to start some file sharing, but it never takes off. I have sometimes looked at a file that was put up for sharing and have never been able to run it because of various issues. Inches/millimeter, unknown cutter size, unknown holddown method, clamp/screw positions, zero to table surface or work surface, zero to cutter edge or cutter center, home 0,0 corner undefined, etc., etc. Sharing dxf's is easier, but that also has little support.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 01:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Exactely...I have downloaded files, but find that I spend lot's of time re-working it to get the final product useful. That is why a group of MM Franchise owners can be so powerful. We all use the same machine, we all use Mach3 and we standardise on the CAM software.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 02:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If we standardise to that level (which includes clamping methods), the crux question will become: Will we share and standardise on customers? That decision is not based on our equipment or working methods - that is an ancient question of long before CNC. Farmers drift into, and out of, co-ops all the time.

Franchising is rather different than a co-op. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchising . Here is an interesting extract:

"Businesses for which franchises are said to work best have the following characteristics
  • Businesses with a good track record of profitability.
  • Businesses built around a unique or unusual concept.
  • Businesses with broad geographic appeal.
  • Businesses which are relatively easy to operate.
  • Businesses which are relatively inexpensive to operate.
  • Businesses which are easily duplicated.
That sort of rules us out, doesn't it?
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 05:32
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
All dependes how optimistic you are....do you see half a glass of water as half full or half empty.

Businesses with a good track record of profitability. ...This will come with time and how well the different shops share knowledge etc.
Businesses built around a unique or unusual concept....The things we can do on a MM puts us into this catagory ?
Businesses with broad geographic appeal.... I am sure that in every city at least we can generate enough leads to keep us busy.
Businesses which are relatively easy to operate....Once we have available files for standard jobs, the cutting part is easy...even with semi skilled people.
Businesses which are relatively inexpensive to operate....Once you have recovered your original outlay to build the MM I believe running costs puts us into this.
Businesses which are easily duplicated...100% correct...once you have a working idea, you duplicate it as many times as you want ..at minimal extra costs.

Just my way of looking at the problem....sorry no problem only a solution .
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 08:40
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
In a "franchise" style of operation, there is one franchisor and multiple franchisees. The franchisees literally buy the franchisor's know-how of running his business as well as use of his trademarks, etc. There is very much a leader/followers relationship and control stays with the single leader. I don't see that happening with general CNC routing where there is no definite product.

It could happen where there are definite products like signs or carved doors, but it won't happen for movie set builders. There must be a strong product line and public awareness of brand image before someone can sell a franchise for that product line.

Kobus, I think you are meaning a "co-operative" and calling it a "franchise"?
Old Sat 30 August 2008, 11:11
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok Co-op is fine with me...sounds better as well.....working together...
Old Tue 02 September 2008, 23:32
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Sean D
Quick question?
Do you use your normal board supplier or do you buy direct from importers if you do know of any importers of board products in Cape town PLease! pm me details. I am looking to buy direct in bulk from importers in the near future.
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 02:00
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
hi, just a from a plain lumber supplier if needs be. Most customers normally buy their own board
Old Sat 25 October 2008, 09:53
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
How is the new Mechmate stable coming along? Just wondering how your builds were progressing. I wont ask for pictures.
Old Sat 25 October 2008, 14:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The components are basically ready for assembly (all the purchases are now in). Busy laying services: electrical power, dust extraction.
Old Tue 09 December 2008, 09:56
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Hey Herald you're finish the machines?

We need pics
Old Tue 09 December 2008, 10:40
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The parts are made, but they are not assembled. We are looking for a bigger building.
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 11:16
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Within a few weeks we will have a table running with bolted cross-supports, but still with welded frames 1010310.
What? A new table almost done and no pictures?

Sorry Gerald, couldnt resist the temptation to bump.
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 12:28
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
G' - you were re-named Herald -
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 14:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The parts are made, but they are not assembled. We are looking for a bigger building.
The bigger building is being moved into right now, and 2 new machines are being assembled there before vacating the old premises. It's chaotic - no time for pictures!

Hoping to see 4 machines in a row soon.
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 14:41
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
That would make a nice picture.

Good luck with your move and new machines Gerald.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 22:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Good luck Gerald and Sean. Must be a good time too move with all these Public Holiday's we are having
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 05:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Some progress

Some progress at the new premises.

(The first two machines are still earning the rent at the old premises)

(Before the purchase):

Old Wed 13 May 2009, 06:07
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
That looks so cool, nice working space, green with envy...
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 06:17
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Thats really a nice place and a lot of space to stretch!

RGDS
IRfan
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 06:21
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Wow,
That looks awesome.
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 06:25
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Now thats what I call a workshop!
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 08:14
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Gerald,

Fabulous!

Looks to be 8 meter (or so) ceilings. Will the roof structure support a beam-hoist?
Old Wed 13 May 2009, 09:05
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

Lots of room and it will be fun to see all the machine operating. When do you install the dust collections?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts