MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Wed 05 May 2010, 05:40
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, don't be surprised if one end of your gantry is 2mm ahead of the other. You can cause this very easily by bumping the one end while the motors are switched off. Re-starting the motors does not take the bumped end back to where it should be - it just locks the motors and holds that "out of square" for ever.

If you cut two shelf brackets back to back, the shelf will be twisted if the gantry is out of square. There was a guy on this forum just recently who complained that the squares at the shop were out of square . . .
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 07:27
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
So if the gantry was knocked off square I should by right see the v-rollers not sitting perfectly on the rail.
What I sometimes do is that before the steppers are energised, I pull the gantry manually towards me. From what I understand is that this will make sure the gantry is properly seated on the rails.

This weekend I will cut some shelf brackets AGAIN and check it. I did cut a mitre sled for my table saw about 2 weeks ago and that worked out perfectly.
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 08:28
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus,like Gerald mentioned it is about 2 mm out of square and over a y-axis length of 1830 mm it is a lot. Gerald it is as if you have been in my workshop and saw the 2 mm that it is out.Since stops were added it runs square.
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 12:08
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Ok you must come and show me. As I said I hardly cut to the full size of my table. Most work is in the first half and then I usually cut INSIDE the piece of mdf. I don't leave one of the existing edges as part of the thing I am cutting..... won't the piece then be square ?
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 12:18
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Try squaring up a sheet of material along the outsides of the sheet with a program. Then take a tape and measure diagonally across the corners from end to end. This measurement should measure the same, or an acceptable tolerance for the work you do. This should do the trick. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Travis
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 13:00
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
It is possible to have all four wheels on the rails and still to be out of square, the only way to check for sure is to follow the procedure as listed in the "getting the gantry square to the table" thread." - one quick way to check is to cut two same size circles, place them on top of one another, rotate the top one 90 deg and see if the outside still lines up.
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 13:56
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I always have a boarder of 20 mm along the x and y axis that I use to attach the board to the table with screws.I also have a edge of off cut material along the x and Y axis 0,0 note that this has got a perfect square refrence. This way when I put a full sheet of material I know where the 0,0 point is and most of the time the sheet of material hasn`t got a square x and y corner .
Old Wed 05 May 2010, 14:15
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Gerald Explain's it here very well- http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 13:13
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I received another welcome surprise this week. Talking to a fellow worker the conversation went towards woodworking and routers. This man bought a router last year...never used it and when he moved house, they lost some pieces of the router. He went and bought a new one and never even switched the other one on.

He has not done any routing work and asked what can be done with this tool. I explained the basics and suggested he fit this thing to a router table as it is easier to use when doing roundings etc.

He asked if I could make him a simple router table, and for my payment I could have the old router without the attatchment pieces.

Well he brought the new router so that I could mount in the table. To my surprise the other one he is giving away is the EXACT model Skil that I just bought. Now I have 2 of the same units and should not have any downtime in this department.

Lucky me.
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 19:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus, that is surely good luck!
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 23:53
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
One for each 12 hour shift! Old BBB is really going to work hard now.
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 07:46
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well I did manage to finish the wedding present before the time. With all the interruptions at work and playing Ambassador to MechMate in Gauteng, it all worked out in the end.

My friend lend me his things so that I can make the parts and clamp the parts. My idea is to draw....ha ha ... me drawing.....ha ha... the parts with the holes in CAD so that the next one can be cut out by old BBB.

DSC01156.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

DSC01158.JPG
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 09:09
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Baaie mooi, what wood is that? are those rubber feet on the bottom or just a stained section? Is it a fixed construction or does it fold up?

You didnt serioulsy have to use all those manual jigs with old BBB standing there in the background - shame on you, its not an expensive workbench you know...
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 10:57
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Alan, That is Mingerhout or Mtumi. Feels like wax when you work with it. The bench is SOLID and does not fold up. The jigs originally was used to make Deck chairs, but by lengthening the slats we turned it into a 2 seater bench.
The feet is pieces of Blackwood....little shoes.
Like I said I NEED to get it on DXF so that old BBB can cut and drill it for me.

http://home.intekom.com/ecotravel/pl...mingerhout.htm

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 15 May 2010 at 11:00..
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 22:02
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
That is a very nice bench.... Good Job
Old Sun 16 May 2010, 23:14
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Jy is 'n inspirasie!
Let me know if you battle with to much with cad. I can help.
Old Sun 30 May 2010, 00:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Well, we are back from a fantastic wedding in Brits.
Bench delivered and some nice pictures to show the beautiful REAL wood called MATUMI or Mingerhout.

Enjoy it when you sit on your stoep Tom and Hanlie. !

DSC01263.JPG

DSC01265.JPG
Old Sun 30 May 2010, 09:19
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus

Nice bench.
Old Mon 31 May 2010, 00:25
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Outstanding work, Kobus.
Is the wood listed and available from the main suppliers?
Old Mon 31 May 2010, 01:21
CoRn3
Just call me: Corné

Pretoria
South Africa
I love that bench!
Old Mon 31 May 2010, 01:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's

Lex I bought that off the street in Sabie. I see Maplestreet timbers in Pomona Kempton Park has a picture, but not on the price list. Phone them.
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 09:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I decided to take 2 day's leave as we are not allowed to take any leave during the World Cup...essential services they say. This morning I went to www.mstimbers.co.za Bought a piece each of Douglas Fir and Bird Eye Maple...Wow what a price for the Maple...R 25 000.00 per cub.... but it is NICE.

Well, had some time this afternoon to cut something. I read on another forum that you can use the FLUTING opion in V-Carve to do the slope on a plate.....Could not wait to try it out. Had a 300 x 300 piece of Matumi lying waiting to be turned into a plate.

Did this on the normal X,Y,Z axis not the indexer.

http://www.youtube.com/user/woody125.../0/pi1taPTSKgw

DSC01276.JPG

DSC01277.JPG
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 09:49
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
That is a nice plate. Video was cool as well. Your spoil board could use a surfacing though.
Old Thu 03 June 2010, 11:41
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
One day when I have time..There is enough HIGH spots on table to keep things flat.
Old Fri 04 June 2010, 02:55
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
My eldest son is turning 21 on the 15th of June. Why buy a key ? They will not use it to leave the house....
Made something special this morning.

DSC01289.JPG

DSC01290.JPG
Old Fri 04 June 2010, 09:39
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Lekker om te speel
Old Sat 05 June 2010, 04:19
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Beautiful work Hennie.

So, I take it that the SA tradition is to give your son or daughter who is turning 21 a "key" to inidcate that it is time to "leave the nest."
Old Sat 05 June 2010, 06:21
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Traditionally, the key meant that they could come and go as they please, answerable only to themselves . . . . . it is their own key to the front door.
Old Sat 05 June 2010, 10:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Starting to carve that expensive piece of Birdeye Maple.

DSC01293.JPG
Old Sun 06 June 2010, 00:29
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
John, it is nice but it is Kobus who did the workKobus ek wag vir my cutting file asb!!!.Jy het my volle aandag.To get back on the price for the birds eye maple.What a rip off if your timber merchant charges you R 95 000.00 per cube of bi maple

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts