MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 28 September 2012, 13:02
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Did you save you mach3.xml file from when the machine was cutting well?
I had that happen before and had to reload Mach3 to clear the corruption.

It's either code challenge or very loose hardware
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 13:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
It is mechanical slop.
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 14:19
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Thats what we were thinking as well but I went over the machine again this morning with everything tight.
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 15:06
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Well if its not the machine its got to be the computer, so I swapped it out with one I used on the 4 axis machine. All is working fine again. What a pain in the ass, Thanks to all who helped out.
Cheers
Tim
not wheres that bottle of rum!
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 15:09
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Check capacitors on motherboard, when they go bad the cap looks swollen, and swap the PSU. If its not that, then it can be either some windows problems or corrupt Mach3 profile, create a new one with same settings.
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 16:19
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Well the machine is back to normal again, not too sure about the operator thou.
Mr. Viral a 2 hour move about the underbelly of the advertising business, and I have a whole 10 sec of screen time, somewhere

Thanks again your all your input,
Cheers
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MrV web.jpg (97.8 KB, 1335 views)
Old Fri 28 September 2012, 23:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Tim, I am afraid that your problem is going to pop up again. Suggest you do some heavy cuts to stress the machine and make sure that you have really cleared the problem away.

(You can not check the set/grub screws with the wrench/key - the screw may not turn, but the pinion can still be loose on the shaft. Use a big pliers to grip the outside of the pinion and then see if the pinion is tight on the shaft)
Old Sat 29 September 2012, 14:31
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Thanks Gerald, so much more to learn yet! Like cut speeds, since I switched to the spindle there all different! Smokin a ton of bits but sooner or later, I hope, it all will work. Just doing a run on house signs out of hard maple, pictures to follow.
Thanks again Gerald for all your help.
Cheers
Tim
Old Sat 06 October 2012, 09:33
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Talking colorizing

Well still trying to get this coloring done right but Im getting closer. 1.5 hour carve and 20 min to color the final product. Never enough time in the day to finish playing in the shop.

Cheers all
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WebcolorCar.jpg (70.1 KB, 1193 views)
Old Mon 29 October 2012, 11:34
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Exclamation Mechmate 3D Printer

Yet another project is started, like i don't have enough already. I've ordered the parts, well actually I helped out here and there sending me the parts. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rce-3d-printer
I'll mount the entire system on the z car and mount the hot end on the spindle mount. Should be a fun project, I look forward to your input as well.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Mon 29 October 2012, 13:54
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hey Tim,
Looks like you will be the first to try the MM as a 3d Printer! Good luck. Should be interesting.
Old Mon 29 October 2012, 21:20
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Bring it on Tim
It will be great to see how the MM performs as a 3D printer.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 29 October 2012, 22:28
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought you only need to attach the hot-end + extruder on the Z-axis... Instead of the entire system...
Old Tue 30 October 2012, 09:31
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Hi Ken, this system only has three parts. Material spool, extruder and hot-end. The plan is to keep everything close together. We will see what happens when the parts get here.

Cheers,
Tim
Old Sun 14 April 2013, 16:36
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Lightbulb Been awhile

Hello all a quick catch up. I'm no longer going to put a print head permanitly on my machine. It makes more $ when its cutting. So far I've built a few machines with sucess. And thats where I got bitten by something new to me. http://www.arduino.cc/ A simple micro motor controller lol! Its Lego Electronics , proven librarys, easy videos to watch and learn. Best of all cheap ($50). The best place I have found so far is http://makezine.com/ .
My Aim is to replace my G500 with an Arduino board. All programs to program your boards are free. I have built 2 3d printers so far. I'm working on another 18 x 18 x 18 in steel frame out of light scrap.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HomeMadeCnc?feature=guide

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomeMadeCnc/videos - more direct link

This my channel if you would like to see the above mentioned.

Building this machine has changed my life. The education learned to properly operate this machine and tool path Strategies well, skills for life now. Thanks Gerald for putting on this interesting path.

Cheers All
I'll try to post pictures later,
Tim

Last edited by HomeMadeCnc; Sun 14 April 2013 at 16:38..
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 04:44
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi tim !
All this seem interesting ....but from your youtube link ( all interesting ), maybe it's me....but it seems difficult to find your cutting machine ( MM beast) link ??
maybe posting a more "direct" link of it !
Later
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 12:05
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
#79 picture update

Heres my machine in its present state. Its always getting upgraded as I get better. Latest was the 3hp spindle, worth every penny . I'm slowly getting the shop ready for when I retire. 6 months and 14 days away This is my shop cabinet set that I am playing with. Next challenge is to dovetail it all on the machine. I have the bit just need some time, and we all know how short in supply that is. I'll post more if there's interest, I can't post allot until I retire.

Cheers
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WEBmechmate79April16.jpg (72.5 KB, 760 views)
File Type: jpg WEBshopcabnetsApril16 13.jpg (68.9 KB, 759 views)
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 12:10
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
I almost forgot, www.cnccookbook.com is worth every penny! Quit guessing and looking at outdated spreadsheets. Things work first time, every time, and that keeps the stress down and no breaking of bits

Cheers
Tim
Old Tue 23 April 2013, 11:32
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Talking any one else playing with Arduino boards?

Any one else playing with Arduino boards? I'm planning on running a Arduino ADK hooked to my Gecko 203's. It will have blue tooth and wifi shields. And the non tech explination. I can run the machine from my droid pad or Droid phone. Also I can run off a sd chip with no computer. Should be able to run as many as I want, axis machine, with way to many sensors. This is the plan for fall time. I'll be away for most of the summer. I'll update if theirs interest.
Cheers all!
The education need to play with my Machine has changed my Life. Learn Google Sketchup, its free.
http://arduino.cc/en/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArduinoADK_R3_Front_450px.jpg (139.0 KB, 667 views)
Old Tue 23 April 2013, 15:04
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
" I'll update if theirs interest."
That be nice.....it's always a treat !
Later
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 00:01
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Are you asking too much from the tiny Arduino? Maybe Raspberry Pi is a better fit for your wants.
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 00:10
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Running a gcode from arduino is easy ,
http://dank.bengler.no/-/page/show/5...ref=checkpoint

I was thinking of using it on one machine, but the lack of nice computer inteface is too much of a hassle.
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 02:02
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Danilo, What Tim want is throw away the PC & use only arduino for the motion control.
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 06:32
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
BeagleBone Blacks are now released for $45 each, and there are already working linuxcnc (EMC2) installations for it. Not packaged very prettily yet, as it is a recent development.
The BeagleBone appears to be more powerful, better suited hardware for essentially the same price.

There is also work on the Raspberry Pi

Arduinos can clearly control 3 axis cartesian robots, as demonstrated by the RepRap 3d printer crowd.

I think it really depends on whether you're looking to have a stand alone controller with minimal controls and display (Arduino approach), a dedicated single purpose computer with keyboard and monitor (Raspberry PI or BeagleBone), or a general purpose computer with an interface board (traditional approach around here).
Old Sat 27 April 2013, 12:15
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeMadeCnc View Post
Any one else playing with Arduino boards?
Yes, I do !
I have a project to control the movement of traditional woodworking machines like a planer, shaper, saw (height control), router table ... with an arduino equipped whith LCD a gecko and a nema 34 motor .... at the moment the electronic part is working fine but I'm still using a small stepper motor ...
Old Sun 28 April 2013, 15:05
HomeMadeCnc

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
The A4988 is a complete microstepping motor driver with built-in translator for easy operation. It is designed to operate bipolar stepper motors in full-, half-, quarter-, eighth-, and sixteenth-step modes, with an output drive capacity of up to 35 V and ±2 A. The A4988 includes a fixed off-time current regulator which has the ability to operate in slow or mixed decay modes.
I've heard that a bigger one is in the works. Lots to read and still more to explore!

Cheers
Tim
Old Sun 28 April 2013, 16:53
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I must have a dozen of those kicking around in various small projects; they will drive a NEMA 8,11,14 or 17 motor like nobody's business. The 4988 is the improved 4983; they do keep getting better. However, once you move into NEMA25 territory, it becomes pretty much impossible to effectively heat sink the tiny little chip, and NEMA34
is quite out of range.

See here if you want an easy way to explore this for yourself, though.
Old Mon 29 April 2013, 03:00
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Just out of curiosity, what are some your professions that require or create the interest or need in use of this circuitry? I have an interest in such but can't even find the time to learn something so far outside my profession, I even own a Hewlett-Packard oscilloscope (which I don't understand of coarse), so I assume you are not deviating too far from your professions. Sorry for being off-topic.
Old Mon 29 April 2013, 06:09
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Tom, software in general (currently web) is my primary profession. I have done embedded software in the past, and have a general interest in electronics. I also have a secondary profession in technical theatre, and I built a lot of one shot effects control systems.

However, I bumped into the Allegro chips because they are widely used in the RepRap 3D printing community. There are a surprisingly small number of options for electronics to control medium to high amperage real world devices like motors and lights, so it's not that hard to keep up with them.
Old Mon 29 April 2013, 06:16
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
Mmmh ...
Woodworkers ? pro, or amateurs who want to became pro ?
Somebody who want to change profession ? Somebody who need to find another profession ?
Passionate people that steal time to sleeping hours ?
People with Peter Pan syndrome that need always to learn new things to remain young ?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read