MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 12 March 2010, 17:11
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolingerbe View Post
I purchased the steel for the Z-Slide in a 36" lenght and did not cut it down.
Is it 36" from the carriage to the floor?
Old Fri 12 March 2010, 18:14
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Jeff,

The Z-Slide has 16" of movement downward. As quoted above, I will only use it at the extents for plasma operations. If I do use the plasma on the unit I plan to build a coolant tank with grates on the last section of the table for cutting operations. The table section will be removable to allow the use of the plasma, and expose the cutting tank. It is not recommended to have a Z-Slide of this length for cutting via a spindle/router. The plasma should have very little if any resistance during operations.
Old Sun 14 March 2010, 17:43
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Smile I can see the end in sight to the build, cutting soon

Today is a cleanup day. Moved most of tools to build this machine back in to their home. Mach Mate emblems placed on machine. First layer of table glued up and clamped. It is amazing how many different tools have to be used to build a project like this. My build starched out far longer than I planned but I am very happy with the results and hope to be cutting soon. To be honest I could not resist cutting out the roadrunner. It was amazing to see the big blue beast cut. I still have a few more things to do but hopefully they will be completed shortly.
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 05:59
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Well lets see some pics of that Road Runner !!!
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 06:16
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Roadrunner

I may pick up a smaller bit today and re-run the cut. The bit I was using was to big and not much detail to the cut.
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 17:29
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
A Labeled MechMate

A Front and Rear View
Labled front side.jpg
Labled back side.jpg

The Big Blue Beast Cutting
Blue beast cutting.jpg

Finished Road Runner, A little rough but cutting
Road Runner.jpg
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 19:09
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Bryan. Mike where is the serial number?
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 20:00
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Labled MechMate

Thank you, Heath I have enjoyed this project and the help that I received. As all MechMate projects start here in the expert drawings from Gerald on this great site. The Laser Cut parts from Joe “Sweet Home Alabama”. When I was in a bind, the bearing support bases from Mike “MetalHead”. I also purchased the car stop blocks from Mike. A special thanks goes to Mike, for stepping up and taking the rings of this site. I have a lot to learn and will be working hard to get to speed on cutting speeds, and bits. A lot of reading has went in to this build, and a lot more is to come.
Old Mon 15 March 2010, 22:07
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Congrats on the build !! Looks like you get #54 !!!
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 03:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Congrat! Brilliant build!
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 05:16
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Bryan,

Congratulations on your finish and welcome to the club.
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 06:39
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Bryan,

Great looking build. Congratulations on your MechMate and Serial #54.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please let me know the "cutting" dimensions of your MechMate for the log. Also, please review your entry and let me know any changes you want to make.

I love the adjustable table height and long Z. We're anxious to see how it cuts.
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 07:16
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Talking Number 54 is Cutting "Well just a little"

Thank you all for your comments. The finished size of my machine cutting dimensions is 120x72. I wanted to have plenty of room all the way around the table for to clamp a full sheet 49x97 piece of material. This is the size of MDF in the US and Plywood is 48x96. This is one of those things as the long z-slide. I had the room and a little additional size did not impact me much. Once it is build it is hard to stretch it just a little longer. Once again I want to think everyone here for their support and assistance along the way.
Old Tue 16 March 2010, 07:30
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Thanks for the information Bryan.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.
Old Wed 17 March 2010, 19:16
Drad98_98
Just call me: Dave #52

Fort Ripley, MN
United States of America
Looks great Bryan, good job!
Old Wed 17 March 2010, 20:20
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Nice job, Bryan. Welcome to the club (glad I am no longer the highest serial #)

Joe
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 06:50
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Awesome job. How far is Chattanooga from Clinton? My girlfriend was born in Chattanooga. She'll be happy to hear there's a MM in TN The only MM in TN
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 06:59
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Thank you Charles, I am about 3 hrs North of Chattanooga. #41 Leo in Soddy Daisy was the first in Tennessee it apperars, and we have Charles in Johnson City closing in on a number. This is a great project, and I still have a lot to learn. I have a few items still left to do, and then a lot of dust will be flying.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 08:14
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Oh sorry missed that. Theres just so many MM's, LOL. I hope to start my soon. My MM funds should be arriving in the next week, maybe week and a half. So hopefully soon I can get started. Good luck
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 09:17
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
I hope to see you start the build. I would spend a lot of time considering the motor that you plan to use. I went with the PK296A2A-SG7.2 and think that it was a good choice for me. But during some of my reading on this forum makes me question that. For the work I plan to do with my MM the backlash issue hopefully will not be a problem. I had to consider my abilities with the equipment I had on hand to build the belt reduction. It came down to the cost of buying a belt reduction compaired to just the 7.2 motors. But this is just one of the many things you will have to consider. This is what makes this site better than most. Their is a lot of infomation here and geat people willing to help you along the way.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 11:16
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Argh,... you serious?!?! I was going to go with those motors. Theres a big problem with backlash? Great. Well,... I need my machine for a broad range of tasks. Cutting intricate parts might be what I do the most. But,... I do plan on mass cutting parts too. Here's the kicker,... i will need to mass cut intricate parts. So I need a motor/ setup that will be strong, fast, with minimal backlash. Any ideas?
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 11:26
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
No I am not say their is a big problem with backlash. What may be ok for me may not be for you. I just recommend you read the section on this and come to your own conclusions. I have not got the experience to know much on this subject. I just wanted to point out to you there has been some discussion about that, and you may want to review the post before purchasing. Nor do I wish to question what has been said or recommended on this forum.
Old Thu 18 March 2010, 12:11
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Ok. I understand. I will have a ton of questions when the time comes. Keep up the good work.
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 16:43
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Not posted in awhile

I have not posted in awhile but have not stopped working with my MechMate. I have added t-slots to the table, detachable magnetic foot, and stated using Big-Tex Mach3 tool setter. Below are the additions. I have also installed a Crosshair Laser and will post more latter

T-slots
t-slot.jpg

Dust Foot
dust foot.jpg
magnetic base.jpg

Sensor Hook Up
Sensor Hookup.jpg

Tools for Big-Tex Tool Setter
center edge table.jpg
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 21:13
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Bryan!
Old Sat 12 June 2010, 21:37
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
Thanks Heath,

After a three year unwanted break for woodworking the construction, and learing to operate this massive machine has been a great pleasure.
Old Sun 01 January 2012, 21:45
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
A little Christmas Work

I made a few jewelry box's for some relatives
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paradise box 4.jpg (132.9 KB, 560 views)
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 19:30
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Love the jewelry boxes.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 20:08
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Very Nice!
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 07:40
bolingerbe

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
I would love to say this is something I came up with but the credit goes to Michael Tyler. I do not know Mr. Tyler but he allowed Vectric to use his project on the Vectric free projects page. For anyone interested I have inclueded the link below to all of Vectric Free Projects. And thank you for your comments.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...s/projects.htm

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read