MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 18 July 2013, 23:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Probably resonance. Geckodrives have an adjustment to tune the resonance to a minimum. It could also be a faulty motor with loose laminations. If you swop that motor to another position, does the noise go with it to the new position?
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 23:46
paulus
Just call me: paul

jhb
South Africa
I will try that thanks gerald
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 12:15
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Talking

Hi.
Man I am having great fun. This is what I have been waiting for. Here is a pic of my first little home project testing the machine.
Alberton-20130728-00966.jpg.

Here is my first gearbox proto type for the big MM
.[ATTACH]14088[/ATTACH
][ATTACH]14086[/A.TTACH]
.Alberton-20130728-00968.jpg.

And this is my dust foot in the making I will let you guys now how it works.
Alberton-20130728-00970.jpg
Alberton-20130728-00971.jpg
Alberton-20130728-00972.jpg
Alberton-20130728-00973.jpg.

Now what is next
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alberton-20130728-00967.jpg (62.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg Alberton-20130728-00969.jpg (70.1 KB, 535 views)
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 12:18
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Sorry pics are a bit mixed up
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 14:27
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Nice work, Paul. I like the wine rack, especially.
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 14:38
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks darren it is stackable so you can make multipels. It was not easy I burnd a few cutters to get my feed rate right. Still a bit touch and go but I will get the sweet spot like hennie says. The only crap thing is that the spindle I am using can't be ajusted(speed).
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 14:40
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Chin-chin to you paul

Last edited by Robert M; Sun 28 July 2013 at 14:45..
Old Sun 28 July 2013, 14:43
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks robert.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 12:58
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Z axis losing depth

Hi guys.
Me again, i need your help again!. I am picking up a problem with my Z axis.When i do ingraving and i set the Z say to -1mm it will start out ok and then as it moves up and down (re positioning) for the next cut the cut will become shollower.
This does not happen over 200 or 300 lines it take time over 4000 lines of G code.

I have searched under losing steps but cant find any thing on my problem.

Welcome any help on this.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 13:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
A couple of things to check.
- is your safe z setting being used during the cut?
- Your safe z setting can cause the axis to "park" higher each time you reset to cut the next part. Try playing with the numbers...set it to something odd....like 4.7mm
- could be additive backlash in the z axis (are you using gearbox, direct or belts?)
- is your collet loose? Loose bit will get "pushed" up in the collet over time and cause a shallow cut over time.
- is the engraving bit the same length after use? IE...did it get dull and now effectively "shorter" and causing the cut to be "shallow"

ideas to check
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 23:07
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
1st thing I'll check is if there is any mechanical loose play such as the pinion gear, chuck, spindle mount or other wobbly things...
2nd I'll check if all my cables are plugged in properly.
3rd I'll lower the acceleration of the Z motor. in motor tuning.
4th I'll check the plunging speed of the CAM.
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 13:16
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Tried all of the above with no luck just don't know what the Hell is wrong???
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 15:22
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Are you using Z touch-off? if you do, reduce the probing speed.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 07:37
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Me Too

my motors also hummed but I tweeked the on the gecko g203v. I do not see that you are using geckos but see if your stepper drivers have a tweeking device. I am guessing this is a potentiometer. Let us know. Thanks
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 08:28
paulus

jhb
South Africa
Thanks for all your input have not found the Problem yet but I will keep on hunting for it until I do. I will let You guys know what it was when I find it.
Thanks ones again.
Keep the sugestions coming.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 09:59
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Can you connect a dial indicator to your Z-axis and then make repeated small moves? If the indicator is positioned so that the plunger is always partially depressed, you'll be able to see if the Z-axis returns to the same up and to the same down position. Pausing at each end of travel long enough for the needle to settle will let you see if the moves are repeatable.

If the moves are not repeatable, try slowing down the acceleration to see if ramping might be causing a missed step.

If slowing the acceleration does not correct unrepeatable behavior, then you might have a backlash condition. Most geared motors have a nominal amount of backlash to keep them from binding when they reverse direction. Even a very nominal amount of backlash can become noticeable if repeated moves are made.

Of course I'm assuming that the pinion gear is properly meshed and that it is properly tensioned, with with a spring or other mechanical setting. If the pinion gear is tensioned without a spring, have you verified that pinion gear is seated to the same depth over its entire length of travel? If something is warped or bowed, tension would change as the motor moves along its axis.
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 03:19
tintin
Just call me: Tintin

Pretoria
South Africa
Stunning Table !!! just to bad about that blue Bulls sign !!!!!
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 04:57
paulus

jhb
South Africa
What about the blue bulle sign
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 07:36
tintin
Just call me: Tintin

Pretoria
South Africa
More of a SHARK supporter !!!!
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 21:14
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Paulus,It might be that you are losing steps as the motor is good to take the z-slide up and down but given that you cut into something and your cutter getting blunt with resistance as it cuts away it is basically forcing the cutter into the material.If you get the resistance newtons laws come into play and the motor can`t hold the position and you basically lose steps( My 5 cents).If you use cheap cutters it will happen at 4000 lines!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read