MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 08 November 2011, 13:50
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Doesn't E-Bay frown on mechants who advertise one price, then change it? What does his ratings say from people like you about this tactic?
Old Tue 08 November 2011, 15:38
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
If you push it to ship at the item price they will use a less quality, less fast, less secure shipping method, be carefull. I would ask for a refund
Old Tue 08 November 2011, 20:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
An extra $27 to ship a spindle to South Africa, compared to the shipping for 99% of his customers is quite reasonable.
Old Tue 08 November 2011, 22:13
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I eventually gave in and paid the extra...not me but uncle Ray will foot the bill...just to get the thing. After all it is still cheap for a 3kW spindle. Will see how he reacts when I rate his service on eBay...maybe he will change his name again.
Old Wed 09 November 2011, 00:57
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Cheap prices always win
Old Wed 05 September 2012, 13:16
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
With the machine running almost eight hours a day, every day at the moment, the little bosch 1400w router is taking a bit of strain - so just committed to getting a 3Kw air cooled spindle from Lovehappyshopping on E-bay, payment has been made so here's hoping it wont take long to get here.
Old Wed 05 September 2012, 13:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Alan, what are you cutting at the moment?
Old Wed 05 September 2012, 15:18
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Chairs, chairs and more chairs from 18mm pine ply, got an order for over 125 chairs, 5 chairs per sheet and just over 2 hours to cut each sheet.

We have to deal with some pretty poor quality boards here so there have been delays in the process as complete bundles have had to be returned to the supplier and then alternatives sourced from other suppliers - oh yes and the price has jumped about 20 - 25% in the last three months due to shortages of stock in the market. The quality is really bad, how I wish we could get decent affordable birch ply in SA. There is one importer I am aware of but he charges abour R800 per sheet for 18mm (equivalent to about $100)
Old Wed 05 September 2012, 15:36
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Alan,
If you bought one with extra collets, lovehappyshopping may omit/forget them and try to get out of sending them to you. Use the comment 'Once I recieve the collets I'll leave positive feed back for you' and they may arrive.
I'm happy with 3kw air cooled splindle, sounds like a jet engine starting up - not as loud!.

Good Luck

Anthony
Old Thu 06 September 2012, 14:02
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Anthony, thanks for that, will watch out for it.
Old Thu 06 September 2012, 22:58
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Welcome to the Spindle club.... I am sure you will enjoy that beast.
Old Wed 19 September 2012, 07:00
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Still waiting for the spindle to arrive, busy playing e-mail tennis with love-happyshopping: - Oh sorry free international shipping does not include SA, please pay another $70 - too bad thats what you advertised, send it! - its not our fault its the Ebay system.... etc etc
How can they be so unethical??
Old Wed 19 September 2012, 11:51
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
When you run it for the first time you will forget all about those unethical folks.
Cheers
Tim #79
Old Wed 19 September 2012, 14:40
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
True Tim
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 04:28
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Somebody tried to order from Deitech in South Africa? more choise of spindles, and claudia is allways verry helpfull. I orderd a spindle and a set of collets but it is shiped to taiwan, thats closer to hong kong.
Old Thu 20 September 2012, 04:39
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
They ship everywhere and are reliable, only they use DHL so the shipping charges might be somewhat expensive if ordering only a spindle (I ordered bulk from them motors, drives, spindle...)
Old Fri 21 September 2012, 05:29
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Alan

The Chinese exist on the smallest of margins.
I have found them to be reasonable to a point but once a transaction goes into loss making territory for them they will stonewall big time.
If you see what they are paid, well then it is not hard to understand why they panic at even the smallest of losses on a transaction.

Not sure what you have decided to do but this whole cnc thing gets expensive sometimes so maybe just amortize the extra cost against the other huge costs !!

My spindle from Love happy shopping has performed very well over time and is great on the machine.
I understand about getting taken for a few extra bucks or getting a bad product though.
Somewhere in my thread is a rant about "Eco Ply", sometimes it is not just the money... it's the principal

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 21 September 2012, 10:04
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Thanks Ross, I have made them an offer on the shipping, waiting to hear back. As you say its the principle of the thing and we are so used to being ripped off just because of where we are that I tend to go into defensive mood when I suspect I am being taken advantage of. (case in point: OM steppers purchased in the States and shipped over at about R1800.00 each, local agents charge over R6000 per unit )
Old Fri 21 September 2012, 13:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Alan, $70 is cheap for shipping out here....be careful that he is not going to use USPS....that is the US "Post Office" who wash their hands when they hand over to the SA Post Office. I lost a BOB + 4 Geckos like that.
Old Sun 23 September 2012, 12:24
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Reached a deal at $35, sending it tomorrow with EMS and DHL so should be here by the end of the week at least. (EMS is a Chinese courier who obviously links up with DHL outside of China)
Old Tue 25 September 2012, 16:15
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I said I was doing a mountain of chairs...

chairs 1.jpg

chairs 2.jpg
Old Tue 25 September 2012, 23:00
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Seems like you sit quite often while on the job
Old Tue 25 September 2012, 23:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Those chairs look nice and sturdy. Maybe they will stack easier on their sides?
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 00:08
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I sit quite often, but the staff have to jump around getting it all done...

Thanks Gerald, they are very sturdy, I can sit on them and rock on the back legs without any worries (100 and something kilos ) These are pre-school size, I have also made primary school and adult size and the design works well (the only time I have had one break was when it was dropped and it landed on the point of one leg causing the lower section of leg to break off) When packing them on the truck for delivery we lay them on ther sides and nest the legs more to fit more on at a time.
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 05:23
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I like those chairs.
Do you have to trim the finger joints with a small router after gluing?
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 07:15
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Alan,
So I will ask the question - finger joint registration.
I don't see any fillet gap on the interior fillet. Did you really get that good of registration in the joint right off the table?

Nicely done.
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 11:03
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Ken, yes the ply thickness varies so much that we have to trim the fingers after assembly, a bit of a PITA but once the guys get into a rhythm it goes quite quickly.

Sean, I wish it worked out that well , there is a small fillet on each inside corner but when in sanding the girls have to use quite a bit of stopping to fix the poor quality of the ply so the fillets get filled at the same time.

joint detail.jpg
You may just be abe to see the fillets on this crop.
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 13:02
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Work Horse !!! I love that pic of the MM and that pile of chairs !!! How many total sheets do you expect to cut and hoe many chairs per sheet do you get?
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 13:31
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
That order was for 125 chairs, I get five of those from a sheet so 25 sheets for the job. Cutting time is a shade under 2 hours per sheet (1400 watt router) but I am hoping that I can reduce that time considerably with the new 3Kw spindle.
Old Wed 26 September 2012, 17:14
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Alan, may I ask …????
To what industry your client is in order to buy 125 of the same chair ?
Nice to see your doing good with only a router !
Looking forward to see your report on the 3Kw spindle
Robert

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read