MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 October 2010, 05:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
LOL! how did I miss that!
great built!
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 09:41
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken, don't worry, I did a double take too...then saw the "hunk of metal with a hole" on the other side of the spider! LOL

GREAT build....Jealous I am.

Sean
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 18:44
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
very nice build,

i think that the pipe clamps dont fit on your machine as everthing else is so well made and those brackets look cheap.
Old Tue 12 October 2010, 03:14
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
LOL !!

Guys C'mon!! did you all think I was going to start cutting corners at this late stage of the project

mrghm,
I agree with you regarding the look of the pipe brackets they just do not look right. However I do think they will look very different when they are painted MM Blue and the bolts are changed over to nice shiny Zinc ones If they still do not look good after that then I will make something else up.

Cheers guys and thanks for the comments, considering my concerns in my first initial post I think I have overcome them all, and more. Big thanks has too go out to all on the forums as without them and the forums we may never have got these builds off the ground!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 12 October 2010, 17:45
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tony,
I personally think the dust collection bracket looks perfect. Nice depth and clamping is simple. "less is more"

Sean
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 00:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The dust collector pipe, if rigidly attached to the foot, needs regular adjustment for foot height, plus complete removal/installation for various types of jobs. A pipe clamp system with only one screw and a quick-release would be perfect . . . . . . . .
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 06:00
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Guys,

Have not put the finall thoughts into the dust foot yet, however the plan would be to have flexi pipe from the rigid pipe held in the brackets to the dust foot, so the dust foot would travel up and down with the spindle. Also looking to have flexi pipe from the top of the rigid pipe up to the dust extraction.
But that said, I do need to put a little more thought into it, and how it is going to work.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 07:07
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Moving dustfoot is cool to look at but Rigit foot is more practical. especially when changing tool bits...
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 07:14
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Ken,

Changing bits with the dust foot on does not need to be hard if you accomodate this in the design of the dust foot

Cheers
Tony.
Old Wed 13 October 2010, 07:22
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
With my simpleton rigid dust foot, I just need to raise the spindle & the whole tool bit is ready for changing...
I also treat the dust foot as a finger guard...
no hard feeling when the tool bit chew on it...
Best of all, I don't have to cut corners as there are no corners to cut
Old Thu 14 October 2010, 02:56
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
What I intend to do is rigid pipe in the brackets and a short length of flexible between the bottom of the rigid pipe to the dust foot at is attached to the spindle that way we only need to change a short length of flexible as it wears. also this give us solid pipe to the clamp too. And a longer flexible pipe will attach to the top and this will go to the Dust Collection pipe that is mount to the roof in the center of the table

Skippy
Old Thu 14 October 2010, 04:14
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
See post 277 Skippy already said mate!! lol

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 07:35
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Table Wiring Started

Hi All,

skippy and I started wiring up both the tables today probably another day to a day and a half, and we should be all done!! then it will be onto modifying and installing all the electrics and electronics into the control boxes we have with the touch screens.
We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now so should not be too much longer before we are cutting hopefully

A couple of photos of Skippy hard at work today and a couple of our progress after the fitting of all the cable glands to the boxes as well as getting the spindle connected and the water lines for the spindle cooling.

Hope you enjoy!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 08:55
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Looking good guys, wont be long now.

Just one question, why do you have adjustable stops on the gantry for the Y car? and why on both rails?
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 09:25
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
..wow that looks familiar. Fantastic work.

I never thought to put a panel mount connector in the button station box for motor connections. Nice detail.

Sean
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 09:44
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nice work!

Very interesting to watch the evolution of the MM.

By the time I get around to building another one, they won't have rails, but magnetic levitation for the gantry and Y car.
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 10:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Great work guys! Good to see Aussies being kept away from the sports fields

Unshielded motor cables close to unshielded signal cables is generally not a good idea. I suppose it depends on how close, how much unshielded and whether parallel or perpendicular . . . . .
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 12:26
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Hmmm. Good point since i seem to get really bad emf problems everytime i build a machine.
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 18:04
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
Looking good guys, wont be long now.

Just one question, why do you have adjustable stops on the gantry for the Y car? and why on both rails?
Alan,
At the time I did not realise that the second stops on the gantry were not required. I had also pre drilled and tapped all the stop blocks I had cut, so rather than waste them and the time I had put in to making them I decided to fit them

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 16 October 2010, 18:17
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Great work guys! Good to see Aussies being kept away from the sports fields

Unshielded motor cables close to unshielded signal cables is generally not a good idea. I suppose it depends on how close, how much unshielded and whether parallel or perpendicular . . . . .
Hi Gerald,
Thanks for your encouragement Gerald, such a great thing you got started here, Aussies & Sports comment gave me a good laugh!!
All our motor, spindle and 7core cables being used are all shielded, with the shield connected at the control box end. I am a bit of a slow starter with the electrics, and really only starting to get my head around some of it now however that said the electrics falls under Skippys guidance as that is his area of expertise and I guess I will be watching, helping and asking lots of questions during the wiring and commissioning as we go.
So hopefully with all the reading here on the forum and the hands on stuff wiring both machines I will have a better understanding

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 17 October 2010, 16:27
tpanabaker
Just call me: tpanabaker

Rice, Wa
US Minor Outlying Islands
I hope to see lots of video. Great Job guy's.
Old Sun 17 October 2010, 21:15
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Looking good. Please keep us updated about tuning the machines.
Red
Old Sat 23 October 2010, 04:47
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Todays Update!!

We had to replace one of the cable boxes on our gantry's with larger one's today as everything was getting to tight and we were going to struggle to fit everything in.

We are almost finished all the wiring to my machine with only the Pause, Resume and E-Stops to connect.
We also ran a few more cables on Pauls machine with probably another days work to complete his table.
I also made a small start on the control box removing a few parts that will not be required and adding wheels to the base to make it easy for moving.
We plan to complete the control box as soon as we are finished with the table, so not long now hopefully

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 23 October 2010, 05:58
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tony,
You have a good lot of cables in the box mate...what else is in there except for the motor cables?
Old Sat 23 October 2010, 07:18
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony and Paul

Super neat cabling there Paul.
No point trying to squash cables where they don't want to go, so a good idea to increase that one control box size. Keep up the good work and I hope to see you guys cutting up stuff real soon.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 24 October 2010, 01:01
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Tony,
You have a good lot of cables in the box mate...what else is in there except for the motor cables?
Sean,

We have also run a couple of 7 core sheilded cables which loops to all the cable junction boxes for connecting up all the E-stops, pause and resume, with a few spare connections for anything else we may wish to wire in.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 05:52
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All !!

With the Australian dollar very very slightly under parity with the US dollar Paul and I have decided to bite the bullet and order our Vectric Aspire software for each of our machines
Now we have something else to play with when we are not working on the MM's at least until they are finished, then we can start to get serious onto the next learning curve now

Cheers
Tony
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 09:40
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Good move Tony...I am also thinking of jumping in. I am just waiting for the NEW release due end November I think. I am sure if you buy now you are entitled to the upgrade for free.
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 16:47
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Kobus,

Yes you are correct, if you buy now you not only save a few $$$ you also recieve the update to version 3 which they are looking to release the end of November, all going well.
I have been playing around with the trial version prior to the purchase, Vectric Aspire appears to be a fantastic and fairly easy to use program with heaps of functionality.
I am really looking forward to using it and designing all sorts of stuff to cut

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 22:52
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I like the word's UNWRAP 3D STL....in the new V-3. My indexer should be more productive....with the help from Fabrice..
I have been a Vectric fan from day one. Looked at most CAM programs when I started, and found Vectric to be very user friendly for a stupid oke like me. This was the first program that I could take and within 5 minutes generated the CORRECT G-Code for cutting.
First bought Cut2D...then V-Carve Pro...now serisously looking to get Aspire....I need it to go forward and hopefully it should satisfy my fantasy for a while...or forever.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read