MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 30 November 2014, 12:37
gordw
Just call me: Gord

Ontario
Canada
New Guy - Ontario, Canada

Hi folks. I'm from Ontario Canada. I've been to the site many times but have just now bought the drawings. I had been looking for a used router of just about any make for a couple years but have given up the search and decided to consider building my own router. After some online searching decided you folks are one of the best community of designers/builders out there. I also like the fact that parts and kits for the MechMate can be purchased through this site should a person wish to cut some time off the build. I have already read many of the online posts and will continue to do so. Eventually I would like my MechMate to be 5 X 10 but am likely going to start 5'(gantry) x 4' as I don't have much room.
I'm in no rush to download the drawings but I was wondering will I receive a link via email allowing me to download the drawings? Thanks to all who contribute to this site, it's got loads of great information.
Gord
Old Sun 30 November 2014, 16:18
gordw

Ontario
Canada
LOL. Found the downloads at the bottom of the screen. Got all 5 pdf's!

Gord
Old Sun 30 November 2014, 17:53
Duds
Just call me: Dale

Canberra
Australia
Welcome

Hey Gord,
Welcome to the club. I'm just nearing the end of my build and already have a list of future upgrades. Spindle RPM sensor, spindle temp monitoring, drive gearboxes and I'm sure there will be more. It's a great thing to do and very rewarding, building your own CNC machine. But it gives you sleepless nights at times. The thing to do then is keep moving forward the solutions will be ahead of you.

Dale
Old Sun 30 November 2014, 18:20
gordw

Ontario
Canada
Thanks

Thanks kindly Dale. I'm looking forward to starting although I'm sure it will be a slow start as regular life and bills are sure to be the bottle neck. (as with nearly everyone I'm sure). I will spend many hours going over the drawings and reading posts before I buy anything to try and minimize any mistakes on my part. lol. My background is mechanical, so my experience is limited in the area of electronics and computers/programming. I will have plenty to learn.
Gord
Old Sun 30 November 2014, 20:29
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Welcome aboard Gord. You will find most if not all your questions answered throughout the forum. If you can't find the info or just don't understand it, just ask, many here have expertise in all sorts of areas and are willing to help out (although we won't design it for you). Looking forward to seeing your progress and Good Luck!
Old Sun 30 November 2014, 21:56
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Gord! Let me know if I can help at all!
Old Mon 01 December 2014, 06:18
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Welcome aboard, best of luck on your adventure!
Mark
Old Mon 01 December 2014, 18:17
gordw

Ontario
Canada
Thanks so much folks. It will be a slow start and I'm sure I'll have a few questions or more. I will do a fair bit of research before starting and it's possible I won't get started till spring when the weather is a bit warmer out.

Gord
Old Mon 01 December 2014, 20:53
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome aboard !!!
Old Wed 03 December 2014, 17:00
gordw

Ontario
Canada
Thanks Mike.
Old Wed 03 December 2014, 21:09
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Welcome Aboard...
Old Fri 05 December 2014, 16:48
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome!!
Looking forward to watching your build progress.
Pretty soon we'll be calling your creations Gord's Gold....
Old Sun 07 December 2014, 09:24
gordw

Ontario
Canada
lol..Thanks Folks!!
Old Tue 09 December 2014, 20:59
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Gord
where are you in Ontario? I am in Toronto.

Milosh
Old Wed 10 December 2014, 09:19
gordw

Ontario
Canada
Hi Milosh.
Lol. We are almost neighbours. I am located 2 1/2 hours north of Toronto on hwy 400. (North of Barrie)
Nice to meet you!
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 17:08
notimeforwork
Just call me: kwguy

kitchener, ontario
Canada
Welcome Gord, I'm in Kitchener Ont., just starting as you are - although this will be my third CNC. First was a JGRO, then came a retrofit of a much sturdier machine with new electronics and mach 3 - and now... I'm where I should have started, building a larger machine capable of full sheet processing.
Old Thu 18 December 2014, 18:47
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
A bit of advice....Read thoroughly first then start your build. It saves time in the long run. Plan your build, a lot of machines have been fine tuned after the initial build and that adds more to the final end result.
Old Sun 21 December 2014, 08:00
gordw

Ontario
Canada
Hi notimeforwork, your pretty close by also, hope your build goes well. Yep, will read as much as I can when I can pblackburn. One of the challenges for myself will be actually finding the time for this project whether it be reading or actually building. It's probably going to be a slow go.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read