MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 22 January 2012, 13:13
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
Cable Chain Not Laying Flat

READ the whole thread. In the end no changes to E-Chain should be needed due to wire weight !!!

So, I attached my cable chain to the rails, and the end lifted clear of the supports. Not thinking much of it, I spaced it up with a pair of washers, same problem. I took it off and laid it on my table, and both ends curled up like a ) on its side. Because of this, it does not connect nicely to the gantry. Has anyone else had this issue? Easy fix anywhere? I am getting almost 4 inches of lift at either end. Will it go away with time?
Old Sun 22 January 2012, 14:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
What brand and part no are you using? How about some pics?
Old Sun 22 January 2012, 16:04
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
McMaster Carr, part #4516T253.

The bend radius is almost 4", which I anticipated, but it won't even lay flat, which is the problem. Will post a pic soon.
Old Sun 22 January 2012, 19:32
melissa
Just call me: Melissa #83

Brighton (Ontario)
Canada
It may well lay flat (or at least flatter) after the cables are installed.

Copper is heavy .
Old Mon 23 January 2012, 03:40
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
I had the same problem with my one. I disassembled the cable chain, that costed some time and I removed a small ammount of material from each segment. I was able to do it with my table saw. First I removed a little bit from some segments and looked if it was suficient, I had to remove a little bid more after I removed the material it is straight when I placed it flat on the table. I made a picture where I removed the material but I can not upload from the computer I use this moment
Old Mon 23 January 2012, 04:44
rischoof

Goirle
Netherlands
Eric,
Here are some pictures how I modified my cable chain. I removed material where the pencil is pointing

I removed the material (very small ammount) on my table saw. Here's a picture from my set up. the pencel is simulating the saw, the wooden block is the guiding from the table saw, and shown is the position how you have to move the cable chain parts over the saw.

picture of the result, a little bit negativive

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.JPG (21.6 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.JPG (24.1 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.JPG (22.8 KB, 651 views)
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 10:11
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
In response to this old thread.

For all beginners this seems like so many things on a CNC build, out of order, BUT....

I had the same 'problem' which puzzled me a little... which in fact is not a problem, but a feature.
Once you fill your chain with all cables and span some width, it will sag considerable.
Mine is (without touching it) now sagging, instead of bulging.
If I would have 'fixed' the issue I would have removed the pre-load and probably have ended up with an unusable chain (top touching bottom)...

SO DON'T 'FIX' THIS

(unless you have a really small table and very little cables/weight in your e-chains... and too much time)

Last edited by Fox; Tue 16 September 2014 at 10:13..
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 19:23
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button for posts like yours, Fox.
Great info for future builders.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 05:45
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Well it sort of does. I made this a sticky thread so it stays on top.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 10:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
. . . .probably have ended up with an unusable chain (top touching bottom)...
Some chains are designed for the "top touching bottom" situation . . . . it cannot be avoided on very long chains.

Last edited by Gerald D; Wed 17 September 2014 at 10:51..
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 12:13
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
True, but mine isn't...it snags, I think most are not unless you order specialty items.
Nice to hear from you, and the info is now really complete .
Old Sun 21 September 2014, 10:57
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
We use many cable chains where I work. It is like anything, all in the design, specs, costs and quality. The best thing in any case is to talk to the manufacturer and they will be able to best assist you and picking a chain for your design criteria. The IGUS chain I went with will remain rigid because I am under the unsupported length with permissible sag ratio for that chain. For you that have extremely long tables, there are solutions that will allow you to support the chain if need be. There are many support systems out there for the chains. Some energy chains are as Gerald stated, designed to ride on the top of the lower section of the chain.
Old Sun 21 September 2014, 17:04
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Mine (IGUS) sags greatly primarily because it is split at each link to allow easy cable insertion and removal, and is packed to the gills. If I were to do it all over it would be the closed type or at least closeable even though I'd struggle getting the cables in. Don't know if it was meant to drag on top of the other but it does.
Old Wed 24 September 2014, 11:58
rischoof

Goirle
Netherlands
cable chain a year after modification

I like to show a picture from my cable chain, which I modified as shown above. the machine is in use for 2 years, it's medium loaded with hoses and cables ( water in and out, 3 signal cables and 2 power cables for spindle, there is one power cable not in use)
I didn't mount the yellow locks in the cable chain.
I have a small machine so the y axis as shown in the picture is the longest cable chain of the I have.
In the middle it's 10 mm lowered
20140921_220422 (640x384).jpg
Old Wed 24 September 2014, 13:35
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Even if it were 100mm lowered, it will still be doing its job. There is no law, or no reason why it should stay straight.
Old Wed 24 September 2014, 13:51
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Gerald, I agree.

As long as it is not binding or snagging. It should be fine.
Old Wed 24 September 2014, 14:43
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
That's why I'm not at all worried about mine. It does what I can't do and that's hold the cables together in an orderly fashion.
Old Sun 31 October 2021, 16:13
AlexTup
Just call me: Oluluron

AlexTupCN
Russia
Send a message via ICQ to AlexTup Send a message via AIM to AlexTup Send a message via Yahoo to AlexTup Send a message via Skype™ to AlexTup
-

Hi,
thanks for the replies.

I understand which cable should i to use. My last question is about if i can send together powerline cable an balance mic cable in the same path .
Is possible crosstalk o interference between they?

thanks again

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read