MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 21 November 2010, 21:18
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Ken,

Rough Toolpath - 0.25" Dia, End Mill. Pass Depth - 0.200", Machinining Allowance - 0.040"

Finish Toolpath - 0.125" Dia Ball Nose. Pass Depth - 0.100"
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 23:15
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks, I ask because I break my 6mm & 1/4" at the speed of ~30mm/s (~80ipm) at 6mm pass @14000rpm. router bit or 2 flute end mill or Onsud spiral bit, all broke.
Old Mon 22 November 2010, 05:43
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Ken,

That's interesting. I have never broken a bit. I've driven a couple of bits into the material and once watched a 1/2" end mill collide with a metal clamp (that was fun ).

Those conditions certainly don't seem extreme. Just thinking out load, my motors are the PK296A1A-SG7.2

Maybe instead of powering through and breaking a bit, my motors just lose a step. Just a theory, or is it hypothesis.
Old Mon 22 November 2010, 05:44
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
Check your run out on the spindle it may be a bad collet that has a wobble
Old Mon 22 November 2010, 06:32
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks for the head up. Ive never check the spindle run out, as I do not own a dial gauge, maybe I should start borrow, beg, steal or rob one from "friend".
For min kurb radius, 6mm or 1/4" bits are the smallest I dare going for, broke enough bits to call it a quit but I just can' t sleep well knowing others are successful with thier 1/4" bit at good production speed @ passes of 1 x bit biameter.
What is the acceptable or "enough" round out of spindle?
Old Fri 03 December 2010, 11:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Strativkosie

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hy33weaWc

After some alterations to the vectors in the design and getting to grips with Aspire I am finally getting GOOD / EXCELLENT results. This Fabrice is a genius when it comes to drawing things. This Violin is based on the dimensions of the original Stradivarius violin. The indexing with dowels on four corners are working like a charm. I did the Neck this afternoon and when I cut it free the two sides were lining up 100%. Maybe in future I will be able to cut this part on my Indexer so that the peg box and hollow parts around the scroll can be done by old BBB. Tomorrow I will do the top. The F-holes are now removed from the sculpting design and cut in afterwards from vectors. Another modification is the BASS bar on the inside of the top part. This will be carved from the solid piece and therefore not glued in afterwards.
Go on Mr Neighbor...get that cat inside the house...one of these fine day's there will be some noise from this violin.....Any name suggestions is welcome...something with Kobus, Fabrice, Strativarius, MechMate will do.
DSC01566.JPG

DSC01567.JPG

DSC01574.JPG
Old Fri 03 December 2010, 11:34
fanefane
Just call me: Stefan #73

Baia Mare
Romania
Nice
Old Fri 03 December 2010, 17:04
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Absolutely Awesome!! I would love to make something like this one day, keep up the fantastic work Kobus.
Have you updated your Aspire to ver.3 yet?

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 03 December 2010, 21:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Tony. Yes I have it, but will wait for the new DVD to arrive to try and get to grips with the new features. I read somewhere that V3 will unwrap STL files. If this is what I think it is, it should then be possible to take the STL file of the neck, chuck it in the indexer and have it cut in one go....Come on DVD.....teach me
Old Fri 03 December 2010, 23:49
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
You are going to have to take early retirement so you can have the time to play with all these lekker new toys . Nice work on the violin - I am thankfull that you live far from me, I remember my sister trying to learn to play one of those, not a pleasant experience for those nearby
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 09:30
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Now that I am getting the hang of it it becomes easier. The top of the violin with the Bass-Bar came out 100%. The hollow out of the neck was done by hand as well as the hollow around the top of the neck.
DSC01583.JPG

DSC01584.JPG
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 10:01
obuhus
Just call me: Dmitriy #68

Kirov region
Russia
Kobus, it is very beautiful! Sometime in the future, I will become the same great master, as you
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 12:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Master ??? MechMate is the Master I am just the driver helped along by everybody on this wonderful forum. You must just practice...I call it play...with you machine.
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 16:55
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Great chisel work Kobus….. Nice to see some hand work collaboration with the beast !
Congrat, Robert
Old Sun 05 December 2010, 09:18
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Kobus, that is a really beautiful violin you have there. People say that it takes quite a few years to even get to the point you can carve the top and bottoms of a violin properly to make even a half decent violin and now we have a tool at our disposal that can shave years off that time. Thank you for sharing all your work with us.

Also, that STL unwrapping is beginning to look interesting too. I'll be upgrading to v3 as well in the near future. Please let us know if it is all that is us cut up to be (pun intended
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 07:48
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Wanted to make sure the THICKNESS of the top and bottom is correct in the different areas. Searched on the internet and saw this type of design. Did not make it 100% the same, but it gives me an idea of the thickness on different positions.

As the measuring tool is not that RIGID, I have a difference of about 0.3mm from the design measurements.....NOW it is either Fabrice that did not do his work , or me that did not set up old BBB to cut correctly. But I am sure it's my mistake and it is close to the required thickness.
DSC01592.JPG

DSC01593.JPG
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 07:53
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Kobus,
You know, you could improve the rigidness by cutting another part exactly the same, with the wood grain running the other direction - and glue it all together.
I bet you would reduce the effective deflection by half.

...But I am sure you already knew that!
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 08:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
It's 18mm plywood already, but what the heck if the sound is off because of 0.3mm I will just loose another cat from the neighborhood.
Old Sat 11 December 2010, 04:14
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Managed to lay my hands on 4 Nema 23 stepper for a good price.
Planning to build a small CNC that I can travel with to my woodworking club.

stepper motor.JPG

23KM-K033
1.8 deg
BI-POLAR
2.2 Amp
1.7 ohm resistance
1000 mNm holding torque
7.2 mH Inductance
680 g weight

Would love to make it on the MechMate design... wondering how small the current MM can be made ?

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 11 December 2010 at 04:16..
Old Sat 11 December 2010, 23:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I think a MM plasma cutter can work with these.
Old Sun 12 December 2010, 10:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Finally got some time today to cut a Dolls House from Fabrice's design.
As mentioned earlier...6mm ply in South Africa is not 6mm and when you have a lot of interlocking pieces it get tricky. When I sort out where all theses parts go........
DSC01594.JPG

I will build it up piece by piece like this...

DSC01595.JPG

And it should end up looking like this.

1.jpg
Old Sun 12 December 2010, 13:21
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
That looks good Kobus, will that not work with MDF instead?, Should be plenty strong enough for the application and the thickness is spot on.
Old Sun 12 December 2010, 20:04
fabrun
Just call me: fabrice

france
France
kobus, you haven't finished it in one day
Old Sun 12 December 2010, 22:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I hate working with MDF..but maybe an idea to try sometime.

Stop joking Fabrice, I had a ROUGH weekend...too many distractions...I must get my priorities right....Work before party..
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 07:02
brbb75
Just call me: Brett

Henderson
United States of America
Great Job. I have been lurking on this and the zone for a couple of years now and toying with the idea of building a cnc. Thanks to you and the other great folks here I have finally decided to get off my backside and build it. Keep up the good work.
Thanks a bunch
Brett
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 11:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Brett...no go and build that machine...some more to tempt you.

Getting there. As this is the first prototype small issues are being sorted out to make it perfect. Biggest problem is the variation in thickness of the local ply. Will try the next one from MDF.

DSC01596.JPG
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 12:11
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
You should try marine ply. It is more stable and a bit more expensive as well.
Old Mon 13 December 2010, 21:17
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Kobus, ek het 'n pm vir jou gestuur.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 00:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
With a bit of SPOEG en PLAK I finished the Dolls House this morning. Now for some paint.
DSC01600.JPG

DSC01601.JPG
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 02:45
Brad Maritz
Just call me: Brad

Joburg
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Brad Maritz
Need some Furniture

Good job there all you need is some office furniture .Down sized.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read