MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 30 July 2010, 23:52
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Greg, I also had that line thing.The issue in my setup was that the cutter was`t cutting square with the table so every time it go one step deeper the tip of the cutter would cut the line.Maybe check that as it resolved my line drawing on the edges.
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 00:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Some people reverse the last toolpath to clean the lines....

If the first passes are clockwise around the part, the leftward cutter deflection makes the part slightly oversize. Then, with last pass counter-clockwise, the cutter deflection tries to make the part under-size, but in real life it makes it on-size and clean. Or so they say . . . . .
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 02:15
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

I would suggest that you look at the Pinion Gears be sure the grub screws are thight.

Last week end, I removed the motors and cleaned the gears, checked the grub screws, and cleaned all the dirt and junk and added new grease to the gears. I also did the same with my X VWheels. I would do the Y if they were easier to get to but the Y runs so smooth and they are a little more protected, I have not done them. I am not removing the Z VWheels. If I could weld them I would.

I could tell a difference in how things sounded and cut.

I regularly clean my rails and V Wheels with Boeshield T-9. It helps lubricate and keep the rust away.

I am also finding that the better quality bit makes a difference. I pretty much only use Onsrud bits. I don't always agree with the bits they recommend. I am using a lot of the 65-000 series bits for a variety of materials. They give me a very good edge.

Greg, if I can help you give me a call.
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 08:27
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks men,

I think Gerald may have it. The lines are 360 degrees around the part. So if the cutter was not "plum" (true vertical), the lines would not be on all the surfaces (360 degrees). For example, on my Cherry bench (showroom thread), I cut the leg and heart profile on the MM. The lines were on all the surfaces of the leg. Same with the heart profile.

I went and checked all my cut files, and they are all conventional (clockwise). Easy enough to run a test where I do a climb (counter clockwise) cut on the last cut.

As for a loose grub screw, I always check the gantry and Y car for "tightness". I had a loose grub screw when first starting up and spent way too much time looking for the problem, that I'll never forget.

Now taking the motors off and doing a good cleaning, new grease, ..... well, guess what I'll be doing this weekend.

I'll report back on the proper thread.

Last edited by Greg J; Sat 31 July 2010 at 08:28.. Reason: grammer
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 11:59
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We don't use the last_pass_counterclock method because that runs opposite to the reason for clockwise cutting in the first place; tearouts on sharp points in the profile. We run the first passes about 0.5mm too big and the last pass on size.
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 12:20
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Gerald,

Been having too much fun cutting, that I can't see the forest for the trees.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 05:06
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
New Dust Foot

The last couple days I have been working on a new dust foot. Since I cut so much Acrylic, I decided to make it out of that.

I have discovered a couple things that I will change on this new one but I like the new design. I need to enlarge the hole for the router nuts.

DSCN1016.jpg

I used magnets to allow me to easy take it apart when I want to change bits. I will add another set of magnets at the front of the foot.

DSCN1017.jpg

Last edited by sailfl; Wed 01 September 2010 at 05:12..
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 06:30
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I love the magnet idea !! I saw that somewhere and was wondeing how it would hold up.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 07:26
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils, Nicely Done! Let us see some pics of it mounted! How do you like the performance?
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 09:05
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Some one on here did one with magnets.

I only did a test cut, I will see how it works on a real job.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 10:16
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Sign for Orlando Primer Outlet Mall Store

For the last three weeks I have been involved in cutting elements for an inside sign for a store in the Orlando Primer Outlet Mall near Disney World.

The picture shows two pieces of 2" x 20" x 48" Cast Acrylic material. These sheets cost $1000 per sheet and weighed 100 lbs.

DSCN0924.jpg

The first rough cut - cutting out the inside of the letters. Used 0.50" bit at 150 IPM.

DSCN0933.jpg

The first set of letters with the rough cut completed. When I finished cutting both the rough cut and the finish cut, each sheet weighed 30 lbs. You can see the remains. I could not use my dust collection because my foot was too large and I had limited hold down.

The letters were cut to a depth of 1.75" which left a 0.25" used to hold the letters in the Black Formica covered Plywood that the letters stuck thourgh.

DSCN0938.jpg

Here is a picture of the plywood with the letters.

DSCN0993.jpg

Pictures of the completed signs installed and ready for the opening which is taking place today.

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

Wider angle of the sign. I also cut a piece of 0.25" Acrylic that was used for Sun Glass display on the left.

DSCN1025.jpg

The clients are very happy with the sign.

This is my first time cutting 2" Acrylic and I am very pleased with the results and that the client is very help.

Last edited by sailfl; Wed 01 September 2010 at 10:29..
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 11:13
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
That is awesome !!! I bet the pucker factor was high on that job. Is your business growing on word of mouth or do you have a marketing "plan" going?
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 11:56
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike,

I paused a lot before starting the first cut. I did not want to be the one that had to purchase another piece of acrylic. Wouldn't you know, the power went off of 2 seconds about 3/4 into the finish cut. That was enough to shut the machine down. I was a little off when I started up but with .125" tolerance I had in my contract but no one said anything if they even noticed.

I have just been making connections with people and the jobs are starting to come. I do not have steady work but I am getting work.

I hope this high profile job will lead to additional work.

It was a shot to my confidence to have the designer of the store like what I did. The sign is high visual part of the store and is the center of attention.

It is nice to have photos of this work to show others.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 13:38
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Very nice work Nils.

Glad work is coming your way.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 14:41
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Beautiful Work Nils!

Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Wed 01 September 2010, 15:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils, AWESOME! Very nice.
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 08:50
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice Nils, can you imagine the man with the BLUE FACE making nice things like this..
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 08:59
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils, The sign turned out great. When you explained it on the phone I had imagined something different but this turned out much nicer than the one in my head.

I see you didnt use your new dust shoe. Just wondering how the magnets are working out for you.
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 09:01
YRD
Just call me: Yuri #17

Brasilia - DF
Brazil
Nils, fantastic
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 12:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Nils, Nice buddy. Glad to see those nice edges again!
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 13:57
purpura
Just call me: Gonzalo

Segovia
Spain
beautiful work, congratulations and thanks for Share it.
Old Thu 02 September 2010, 17:56
Drad98_98
Just call me: Dave #52

Fort Ripley, MN
United States of America
Beautifully done Nils, that is some fine craftsmanship!
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 03:41
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Brilliant work! must be nerve racking working material of such value.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 07:00
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken,
The pucker factor is huge. I think the last time I made a conference table with "real gold plate inlay" I test cut the file 4 times out of plywood before the real material - then hold your breath that the bit doesn't break on the real stuff.

Sean
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 07:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
After wiping out so many potential profit no thanks to mistakes made in the earlier jobs... I'm still holding my breath everytime I get on to a new cut...
There are just too many opportunity to learnt from mistakes... freaks me out...
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 07:52
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Most of my mistakes are due to "operator error".

Its not a pretty sight when zeroing off the wrong reference.

"If your not making mistakes, your not doing much".
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 08:14
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
Did they teach you that at SLO too! ?
Great to see your still out here reading the forums.

Sean

Last edited by smreish; Fri 03 September 2010 at 08:19..
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 08:28
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Watch it bud. Never said I was fast.

Yea, good to be back. Finally resigned from the day job last April and starting a small business. Having a blast. Not profitable yet, but I've got a two year business plan.

The last year with that old job was long and not fun. Glad its done with and I'm on to new, fun things.

Last edited by Greg J; Fri 03 September 2010 at 08:30.. Reason: grammer. Its a west coast thing.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 08:34
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
Good luck with your new venture. I as well, have 2 of those small business' on the back burner all the time.

...keep the snakes out of the shop and good luck!

Sean

Last edited by smreish; Fri 03 September 2010 at 08:34.. Reason: midwestern grammar just as bad today
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 08:43
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Sean. Hope all is good with you too.

Speaking of snakes. Just had to take a dog to the vet last week due to a rattler. Saved my wife though. If it wasn't for "Rocky", my wife would have been bitten. Rocky's fine today and spoiled as ever.

Better give this tread back to Nils.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read