MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 03 June 2013, 22:29
dpac
Just call me: Dave

Sydney
Australia
Drill spindle for steel

Hello,

Does anyone use or can recommend a spindle for drilling steel? I was thinking around 5hp @3000rpm would be enough.

A setup like the following would be ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ek_Fy5onCg

Thanks
Dave
Old Tue 04 June 2013, 07:29
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Very interesting video. They said that their spindle was 3.8kW, which translates to just under 3hp. Did you catch the fact that the cutter was cooled by spraying mist THROUGH the cutter?
Old Tue 04 June 2013, 08:44
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...and the exterior "sensing" frame was also used as a hold down and stripper bar.

A LOT going on in that small area of the machine.
Old Tue 04 June 2013, 21:27
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
If your just drilling you could use Milwaukee 4253-1.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/4253-1
Old Tue 04 June 2013, 23:55
jasoncarter
Just call me: Jason #82

Arkansas
United States of America
Here's some food for thought.
http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3334

The relevant post is #8.

I've found the problem to be generating enough down pressure to drill effectively. It's pretty slow. A lead screw z-axis might fare better. Center drilling and then finishing up on a drill press works pretty good.
Old Wed 05 June 2013, 06:15
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
3.8kW is 5HP , and drilling that large holes would require a massive weight gantry

I just finished one CNC drilling machine which uses 22 and 25mm drills for drilling square steel tubes 1.5mm thick. Force for a drill that large required 2:1 reduction on a 10mm lead ballscrew and NEMA34 9801 motor.
Old Wed 05 June 2013, 08:05
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Damilo is correct. 3.8 kW is 5hp. I must have used the wrong search terms when I found an equation that used something like 1.25kw per hp. A Google search this morning showed that 735 to 750 watts is normally used to equal 1hp, so 3,800 watts divided by 750 is 5hp.
Old Fri 16 August 2013, 22:52
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Cutting steel

Unlike wood plastic or foam cutting steel is usually done at a lower speed. It is harder to form a chip. It takes less speed but greater pressure. If you cut it to fast you just heat up your tool and the piece. Once the heat raises it takes the temper from your tool. At that point it is a lost cause. I tried to find the Ben Krasnow video on cutting steel. I have seen a couple of videos of cnc cutting steel. I hope you have patience. I don't think the Mechmate is a good tool for this task. It will do it but the machine is made for softer materials. I invested in a Tormach when I want to do metals. Best of luck to you.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read