Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Thu 28 January 2010, 21:36
jkountz
Just call me: Jim

Augusta
United States of America
Mechmate Jr.??

Anyone built a smaller version of a MM? Maybe in a 4x4 format or similar? I was thinking I really like the looks of a Mechmate but just dont have the space for a full size machine. Surely Im not the only one??
Has this already been done??
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 21:39
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Take a look here
Mechmate "Junior", table and gantry welded - Portland,OR
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 21:42
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Because the MechMate is such a sturdy machine, the footprint is quite a bit larger than the cutting area. A 4x4 MechMate will still be roughly 72 x 72.

If you want a smaller machine, (e.g. really can't find space for the MechMate) you might want to look at a Joes 4x4 hybrid on cnczone.

There's also a thread here of someone building a slanted machine to minimize footprint.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 21:47
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I bought the idea that if you wanna build a MM, you should build the largest possible, there isn't much difference in cost, time & effort.... 4'x6' should be the minimum, you can splice a 4'x8' sheet or place a 3'x6' straight on.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 04:53
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Jim,
Generally the smallest any 4x4 machine will be in terms of footprint is about 5.5 x 5.5 feet or 66 inches square and they generate so much dust that most folks need some sort of dust collection.

Jason
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 08:02
jkountz

Augusta
United States of America
Yes Im aware of the dust they create, thats not a problem for me it just the space for a full size machine. Im actually thinking of a cutting size of around 3x5 now give or take. I have too many other machines in my shop now and space is really limited. For what I have in mind to make with a CNC 3x5 would be more than adequate. I think the frame and table of the MM could be easily made smaller but the laser cut parts and such would still be full size unless I could find someone to scale those down for me too but Im sure that would be costly. Just throwing ideas around right now.
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 09:09
Sherman McCoy
Just call me: "Krasch"

Portland,OR
United States of America
Jim-
I'm building a smaller sized MM. You can look at it on my thread: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402

The gantry allows for a 4' wide sheet, which necessitates a 66" footprint width, and the length is 5' which gives it a 36" x-axis. The frame is light enough for 2 people to move it easily(1 with a dolly), and is small enough to fit in the corner of my apartment. While their are clear advantages to a full size MM, size really comes down to what you're going to use it for. I wouldn't go narrower than 48" on the Y-axis, in the event you decide to ultimately go full size, you just need to lengthen the table.

Last edited by Sherman McCoy; Sat 30 January 2010 at 09:11..
Old Sat 30 January 2010, 12:54
jkountz

Augusta
United States of America
Thanks Sherman, now thats what I was looking for. I agree about the Y axis being the full size, that makes good sense. I would love to have the full size machine but if you dont have the space you dont have the space right? Thanks again!!
Old Mon 01 February 2010, 00:41
gmcclure
Just call me: Graeme

Geelong
Australia
Hi Jim,

Making a 900 mm x 1250 mm working area machine. Mainly due to space constraints. Designed to go into slightly large 2 car garage with other woodworking equipment

Gives the capability to make new table at later date.

best regards for your machine
Old Mon 01 February 2010, 02:45
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Graeme,
I made a mistake on the working area during the earlier stage, it is difficult for me to grasp the size at that time, thanks to Gerald, I got my prospectives sorted.
To me MM is the tool to end all tools, I bet you MM will make some of your tools & machines obsolete

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts