MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 60. Wiring & Cable Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 13 August 2010, 07:30
ahe_1990
Just call me: Adam

Birmingham
United Kingdom
Earthing cable which will be happy in the cable chain, flexable.. I am earthing the frame, gantry etc...
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 08:06
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I think you dont need to pull a wire to the gantry, it is sufficient to bolt a wire somewhere to the table. metal conductivity will do the rest.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 08:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Danilo, you definitely need to pull ground/earth wires to all the moving parts.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 08:57
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I used auto audio cable. It is very flexible and about a # 10 wire. It's zip wire so it's easy to separate into a single.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 09:07
ahe_1990
Just call me: Adam

Birmingham
United Kingdom
Thanks for replys, I need to earth my gantry,car etc... also i am using plastic vee rollers at the moment. So its a must for me.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 09:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Adam, you will have to walk into a couple of shops and see what they have. Automotive supply shops (auto-electricians) could be very helpful - their wires are more flexible than most.
Old Fri 03 September 2010, 23:27
tangocharlie123
Just call me: Pete

Gatton Brisbane
Australia
Lugs on sheilding

Can anyone describe the best way of attaching a lug to the sheilding braid.

Everytime I attempt this, the wire just disintergrates.

Is there a knack in trimming the sheilding.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Peter
Old Sat 04 September 2010, 05:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I used crimped on lugs.
Old Sat 04 September 2010, 05:16
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Pete, the basic approach is to separate the braid from the rest of the wires, and then squeeze / twist the braid into a solid bunch onto which you can crimp a connector.

Three possibilities for you:

1) Fast and sloppy: cut a vertical slit in the braid along the wire for a few inches. Shake the loose bits out, twist the remains together.

2) Elegant: Use something pointy to elongate one of the diamond holes in the weave a few inches from the end. Carefully pull all the internal wires out though this hole.

3) Fallback: Use something pointy to unweave the braid starting at the end and working backwards bit by bit.

The other technique sometimes applied is if you are coming into a connector with a clamp-on metal strain relief. Then you clamp a solid wire under the clamp with the braid, and use it to complete the wiring.
Old Sun 05 September 2010, 05:10
tangocharlie123
Just call me: Pete

Gatton Brisbane
Australia
Thanks

Thanks Brad

I have done 1,2 & 3 and 2 & 3 win they are not hard to do if you raid the wifes sewing box.

Any thanks again

Peter
Old Thu 14 April 2011, 17:04
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Im thinking about the Ground loops and my conclusion is "irremediable"

this is my ground schematic.

LOOP GROUND.jpg

Between the Screen and the PC we have one irremediable ground connection via VGA port. pins 5 to 10 are ground.
Between the PC and the PMDX we have one irremediable ground connection via Parallel port, pins 18 to 25 are ground.
Between the PMDX and the Drivers we have one irremediable ground connection. In PMDX are COM ouputs, in Driver PUL- and DIR-.
Between the driver and Control Box chasis, screws.
And the Chasis is connected to the 220V Ground.

I tested all with the continuity meter.

Im thinking only one solution, and is cut the Grounds cables between Screen and 220V and between PC and 220V.

Any sugestions?

Last edited by isladelobos; Thu 14 April 2011 at 17:09..
Old Thu 14 April 2011, 18:05
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hmmm. I'm thinking I wouldn't want to cut the grounds in an industrial environment, particularly at 220V.

I don't think that the potential ground loop with the screen matters.

If your drivers are Geckos, there's optoisolation on the inputs, so ground loop effects are likely to be mitigated.

I don't see your motor power supply on your diagram. My suggestion would be to make the motor power supply have the reference ground post for the entire system, and have that be the point that ties to the supply ground (along with the feed to the power supply). Use that as a star wiring point to ground all portions of the table, all the drivers, all the cable shields, and all the motors.

Don't worry about the PMDX, the computer, or the screen. If you don't have optoisolation for your drivers for some reason, consider adding an optoisolation board on the parallel port (like the PMDX-103) should you have problems. Then you can definitely ignore any potential ground loops on the computer side of things.
Old Thu 14 April 2011, 18:17
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
I agree with Brad, I do would like to add.

If they are Gecko's you should have 3 inputs. A common, a step and a direction, don't confuse that common with a GND, common is not a GND.
Since the inputs are isolated (in case of a gecko for example) you just connect these 3 wires with the GND, a step and a direction pin on your PMDX, Don't connect the GND of the PMDX with a GND of the drivers! Again, if the drivers are opto-isolated.

I would also suggest like Brad to add a opto-isolation board in case your drivers are not opto-isolated, but I would put it between the PMDX and the driver, that decision is up to you...
Old Thu 14 April 2011, 20:33
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Yes, the drivers are optoisolated.

But my test with the continuity meter was wrong... i put positive continuity meter in the driver COM and the negative continuity meter in the Box chasis and obviously we have continuity by the long way. now i can see the ground is in the driver chasis from the box chasis and the ground is in the common from the pc ground. (one optoisolated loop ground).

Thanks.
Old Thu 04 April 2013, 19:58
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
I have read this thread looking for a concensus on how to deal with the shields in the large pushbutton box. This box contains cables that originate in the main control box that have their shields grounded in the control box.

There are other cables that originate in this pushbutton box and go to the y-car and far end of the gantry. What is the preferred option for dealing with these shields?

Please advise?

Clayton
Old Fri 05 April 2013, 04:51
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
I connected all shields together in my control box and left them all unattached on the machine. All runs fine.

Al
Old Fri 05 April 2013, 07:25
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
Hi Alan,

Tying all shields together in the pushbutton box has been done but ...

It was suggested that this was not a best practice (Mike Richards and Gerald in posts 59 and 60). Shielding and grounding are different as they serve different purposes. Since the shield is there to prevent interference and not necessarily for safety, can I simply connect the shields that originate in the pushbutton box to a nearby ground point on the machine?

Clayton
Old Fri 05 April 2013, 15:30
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
I like to see grounds terminated at one end. This will transfer stray frequencies to ground at the supply end and not the machine end. Tying at both ends or the middle may induce stray unwanted frequencies causing funny unwanted things to happen.

Al

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read