MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 30 August 2009, 04:26
conceptz
Just call me: Troy

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Hi from Troy ,VIC ,AUSTRALIA i plan on building a MechMate

Hi All ,
Firstly i would like to thank Gerald for designing this machine and allowing us to build it from his plans .
I will be using my MechMate for 3d milling / routing of high density foam , timber and aluminum , I would like a long z axis ( 300 mm at least ) and 2440 mm x 1220 mm x, y cutting area ,. I am still reading through the wealth of information on this site , i have seen mention that if you put a movable cutting table on the machine it is possible to lengthen the z axis so i will look at this anyway i must get back to reading , so hi and any tips hints or tricks are welcome Troy
Old Sun 30 August 2009, 05:27
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome Troy.

Extended Z travel (300 mm) can be a challenge. You'll want to read, carefully, what others have done.

Have a great build!
Old Sun 30 August 2009, 16:11
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Thank you John , i will read all the info i can find and then see what happens , if i do not get the z travel i would like i can always do my foam cutting in layers cheers
Old Sun 30 August 2009, 17:48
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Troy.
The extend z is pretty easy. If you want to go here, I will be glad to help.
Sean
Old Sun 30 August 2009, 18:07
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Hi Sean , yes , and any help that is being offered will be much appreciated thank you
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 00:00
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Hi , i have been planning my build and have decided to use 100mm x 100mm x 3mm or 4 mm wall not sure it is one or the other i cannot get out side to measure today as it is wet here and i do not have great mobility at the moment as i broke my leg 3 weeks ago , i will get out there and check in the next couple of days . I already have about 30 meters of this so i will use it where i can on the frame , i also have some 50 mm x 20mm x 2 or 3 mm and a heap of 20mm x 20 mm x 2mm to use , i realize it may be overkill in some areas but it will save on the cost of the build because i already have it , if any one can see why this would be a problem please let me know .. cheers Troy
Old Mon 31 August 2009, 07:03
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Hi , I have just been in contact with Rick , rnixon and it looks like i have got myself a set of laser cut parts sitting Melbourne just waiting for me to go down and pay n pick up , how cool looks like i am really going to build this machine after wanting on for so long yay
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 17:29
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
ok got all the plans printed out and in a folder for safe keeping will spend some time today trying to make sense of it now .. Does any one else have the same problem as me ,,

there is so much info on this site that it can get a bit confusing ,

am i meant to browse the site until i find a build by some one that i relate to then follow them ? ,
or do my own research then put up my own thoughts and ideas so that i can be told why not to do it that way or how to do it a different way after researching it incorrectly ? ,
am i not using this forum the correct way ?
is there a structured approach i can or should be taking to my build ?
please do not take my post as complaint about the site , i like what i see hear i am just having a bit of trouble ,, i am sure it will all make sense to me when I AM ready to move forward ,, thank you again for the resource Gerald and everyone else provide hear
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 19:17
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Troy,
I guess the quick start guide really depends on choices about your mechmate build.
All of those choice will dictate the performance and hardware requirements for your particular machine.
The only advice I can offer is experience and I would personally follow these few steps.

1) download the plans and understand the mechanics and construction intent of the machine.
2) decide on table cutting size 2500mm x 5000mm - etc.
3) decide on powertrain.....Geared steppers, not geared steppers, router cutting or spindle.
4) decide on cutting depth - short or long z slide.
5) rail construction (ground or prefabricated vee rail

After you have this minimal information you will be able to formulate a list of components, steel and electronics based on these needs.

Types of decisions and what they really mean:

- cutting table size will dictate the fill in the blanks (x + whatever, y + whatever) dimensioning in the package and work out your cut list and other needs.
- motor choice will dictate the type of motor mounts you will need when ordering your laser parts (geared or not geared)
- motor choice will also help you decide on what type of amplifier (driver) your motors will need and thus, help you determine the proper voltage for your transformer.
- router or spindle choice will help you determine if your using an SSR, relay contact or PWM output to control the cutting tool.

Each one of these decisions will determine the build price and performance of your machine.

My personal choices on the last few builds:
5 x 10 cutting table
7.2 Oriental Motor Geared steppers
Gecko 203V amplifiers
56V - 600 watt transformer with 12VDC and 5VDC taps
20T and 30T pinions
1/2 x 1/2 x 20 Pitch Rack
Contactor relay for both spindle and/or router control
PMDX BOB
1.6GHZ - SINGLE core intel based PC with parallel connection to BOB
Short z-slide on 1st machine with 48" modified Z on second machine for foam cutting.

Good Luck.
Sean
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 07:28
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Troy,

Rick and Chris are the guys in Melb to be talking to. Chris has his x and y axis done and he built it so well, no adjustment was needed! (Pitty he has to pull it apart again to paint it!) After visiting Rick, you get to understand that following Gerald's plans to the letter works AND goes quickly. From talking to both it's clear you use your smarts and it's easy, you rush it and your in unknown waters. Power sawing, power tapping, touch up painting, continual datum referancing etc etc and you will step through the build.

Be a lurker for some time and absorb the info (I am) then you will have less surprises and more confidence.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 08:09
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Troy,

I have another suggestion for you. In each of the sections shown on the forum page, you will notice several threads at the top that Gerald has highlighted in blue. Read all of those threads first because they contain the essential information. You don't need to read every post on this forum in order to build a Mechmate. Some of us early builders didn't have a fraction of this information available to us.

Good luck to you.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 08:28
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Doug,
So I guess you are sort of like a pioneer then.
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 18:15
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Thank you for your comments and advise guys , some goods tips there and i appreciate them
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 18:25
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
ahhhhh Doug - the good ole' days when you, me and JR were the Guiniee pigs for what was to become the Mamba build. Fun stuff!
Old Wed 02 September 2009, 23:31
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
And don't forget Greg J out in New Mexico.

I didn't mean to make it sound like we had it hard. Even back then, Gerald had laid everything out so well on this site that it was like baking a cake using a cookbook. The only glitches were from me not following Gerald's instructions....oh yeah and the contactor gave Sean and I some problems.
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 05:44
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Well looks like i have attracted the right guys to this build , I see you seem to have built more than mechmates while here ,, it would seem friendship has past your way as well , this is good
Old Thu 03 September 2009, 07:49
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi conceptz...

how is your Project going on? Welcome to MM.
I also started a MM a few weeks ago and after studying all Plans and reading in the Forum I chose Parts and Components I wanted to use, of course mainly other Members experiences and opinions helped me choose the right configuration.
I think the simple Way is building a MM how itīs planned firstly. After you are into it, you learn a lot and you can start changing, modding, tuning and even make a Plasmacutter out of it.
Have fun with your build.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 23:27
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
Can any one tell me if this would be a good option to use with a mechmate as i have no electrical experiance at all ( http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Large-CNC-4-a...d=p3286.c0.m14 ) Thank you Troy
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 23:37
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Troy

Reading down the bottom of the product description says it 120V so there's a conversion issue there (possibly easily fixed). Biggest thing I can see is that it supplies with big steppers (see Here). and the Nema 23 that is also supplied is too small. Last thing I notice is that the limit/home switches are the open mechanical type which from what I've read are no good with dust (discussed somewhere on the forum but don't know where). I'm sure there is more to this than I know but at first glance they are the issues that have been discussed elsewhere here.

Jed
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 00:43
conceptz

Wodonga V.I.C
Australia
thank you jed , i am still reading and trying to understand all the electrics and motors , your insite is welcomed thanks again troy
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 01:33
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Troy

I'm by no means an authority on any of this but if you read that link and in the same section the "Selecting Motors" you'll gain a lot from the experience of many then can decide for yourself if you are comfortable, there is an example somewhere of a MM built with 1200oz-in steppers.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read