MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 25 May 2008, 03:33
htrowrod
Just call me: Bruce

Vacaville,Ca
United States of America
Newbie - Vacaville, Northern Calif.

Hi everyone, and Happy Memorial Day! I live in Northern California, and have been watching this forum for a while now. I would like to try and build my own CNC, but lack the confidence.

Is there anyone up here that has built there own, or is building there own CNC? All replys will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
Old Sun 25 May 2008, 07:08
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrowrod View Post
I would like to try and build my own CNC, but lack the confidence.
Bruce,

Welcome to MechMate.

Before starting this project, I new nothing about CNC routers, programing a CNC, etc. I was also limited on the electronics side of things.

This is a great site for helping the "newbie". As long as you work at it, and don't expect others to do your homework, every question will be answered.

Here's how I started
1. Study this site. Plan a budget.
2. Make files of the different components. I.E. - base table, motors, drivers, etc. When you see a post that has important information, make a hard copy.
3. Start with the kitchen project.
4. The other components/sections will fall into place.

One suggestion, don't put a time limit on yourself. If you have a shop, all the tools, have welded before, etc. a person can build a MM in a matter of months. If your learning everything from the ground up, then it will take some time.

I say, go for it. The people here are great, the MM is a high quality design, and you'll have a blast.
Old Sun 25 May 2008, 07:20
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Bruce,
Welcome to Mechmate...the most addictive CNC build your going to enjoy.
I have built machine #1 and it's performing exceptionally well.
I have a modest background in electronics and fabrication, but neither was really necessary. All the drawings and detailed post's in the forum really provide a step by step guide.

I built my machine in about 3 months. And it's about 30 days from paying for itself in my business. MY return on investment is about 6 months.

The budget in today's market is still in the 6K range with computer and software. Your budget will vary with local steel availability.

Greg really has put together a very succinct 4 step process that works.

Deciding factors that will also influence the budget is size of table you want to build and cutting tool type (spindle or router). Size not so much as cutting tool.

Good luck, have fun and share a lot of photo's. Those with the best pics get quick attention.
Old Sun 25 May 2008, 12:02
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I have joined about two weeks ago with no confedence in getting a machine like this build. Ever!. I went through most of the info on this site. I am starting to feel comfortable with the mechanical side but the electronics are still going to give me a lot of sleepless night. Glad to know that there are more people out there that feels the same as me. Good luck to all the Newbies!
Old Sun 25 May 2008, 13:28
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Johan,

I thought the very same thing. Now that I am actually building the control box, I am less nervous about it. I can't say that I understand it completely yet at a detailed level but I certainly do at a conceptual level. Stay with it, it will certainly come.
Old Mon 26 May 2008, 04:45
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Marc,
The 4 points that Greg set out will work well for me. I am not past point 1 yet.
I will always try to start with the mechanicals first, just because it is the field that I am working in, but you are right. I should start with the control box.
The climate here are also easier on the body. It seldom drops below 12 deg C. and it is only over December and January that the humidity goes over 100%. It then feels like 40-45deg C! Nothing lives outside around midday!
Old Mon 26 May 2008, 20:30
htrowrod
Just call me: Bruce

Vacaville,Ca
United States of America
Hey Greg, thanks for the post. I seen a couple of references to the kitchen table, but I haven't been able to find much info on this project. I thought for awhile it was a project someone was making for their wife to justify the expense of the CNC.

Is the kitchen table project assembling all the electronics at the kitchen table and testing them?

I have also seen reference to a set of plans. Do you know where these plans are?

Bruce
Old Mon 26 May 2008, 21:25
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by htrowrod View Post
Is the kitchen table project assembling all the electronics at the kitchen table and testing them?

I have also seen reference to a set of plans. Do you know where these plans are?

Bruce
Kitchen Table project, assemble all the electronics, steppers, breakout board, computer, power supply and get them moving with mach3 or whatever you want so that you have all the electronics kinks worked out before the build.

see this for an example

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...=kitchen+table

plans look at the download link on the main page

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376

Last edited by domino11; Mon 26 May 2008 at 21:28..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read