MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 23 December 2011, 22:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Is the driver facing outward than it is a back-loaded horn, if it faces into the box than it is a front-loaded horn.
I just love horn...
Old Sat 24 December 2011, 04:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
As long as you leave our Rhino horn alone.
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 17:17
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Some of the latest projects......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac wings (Custom).JPG (57.0 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 23, 3 14 14 PM (Custom).jpg (50.0 KB, 1476 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 23, 4 44 20 PM (Custom).jpg (44.8 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 24, 9 23 08 AM (Custom).jpg (11.6 KB, 1474 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3) (Custom).JPG (46.6 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg 417767_399918406690463_100000169217102_1895206_1152951296_n (Custom).jpg (58.3 KB, 1476 views)

Last edited by Regnar; Thu 23 February 2012 at 17:19..
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 17:40
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
How did you do the benchtops, Russell?

I did something similar for my son's toolbox but I like yours better. :-)

The skull is filled with epoxy so the benchtop is much flatter than it appears.
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 18:17
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Jeff the 3 Examples there are all done differently. The black one I just spray painted and when over the top with a 120 grit belt sander. The others I just stained carefully.
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 18:26
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I should also mention that I use Bar Topper after Im done painting or staining. I/We tried Poly and well the results where horrible. I now tell people to use that or Im not part of the evolution. Just poor and forget. Slow curing and self leveling well worth the money.

Jeff having a contrasting color really helps make it pop. For tight areas I use a syringe and float the areas. The wood usually soaks up everything.
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 19:23
TechGladiator
Just call me: Miguel #94

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
@Russel; VERY nice. Top notch work. I specially like the "In case of emergency.. Break Glass".. Nice!..
Old Thu 23 February 2012, 20:05
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Russell,
I am sure you know the tricks, but if you use a heat gun you can get the bubbles to release in the pour if it starts to kick to quick.

I agree with you. Well worth the 300 bucks for a quart of topper.
Old Fri 24 February 2012, 00:21
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Nice work Russell. Noticed the super glossy finish straight away.

Ross
Old Fri 24 February 2012, 04:48
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGladiator View Post
I specially like the "In case of emergency.. Break Glass".. Nice!..
I really wish I took more pictures of this box. The new owner really likes Crown Royal. We cut the mini bottle into the top and hung a Small "Elf" off the side of the tool box. In the bottom drawer there was foam cutouts to hold two bottles of crown, a couple of glasses, and a ice pitcher. Oyeah the tool box was Crown Royal Purple as well.

Sean the stuff we are using is about 1/10 the cost of yours. 23.99 for a Quart here. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10051

I have used the heat gun method before and it does work nicely. When at work I use a vacuum pot to pull all the air bubbles out of the coating after mixing. I also try and poor in a nice thin stream. All the methods seem to work out but to be honest there is always one missed air bubble in there somewhere.
Old Sun 01 April 2012, 18:00
Metalsmith
Just call me: Metalsmith

Jacksonville, Fl
United States of America
Just finished reading all, in a single setting and I am impressed.....my welding techinque is different and less expensive ....use CO2 for gas (Cheaper) and you have to clean all welds for painting any way ....it's just yellow smut ! Plus you get a hotter burn as CO2 is used when welding thick plate with innersheild( fluxcore). In structual welding, continuous welds aren't used that much....I tack on all 4 corners and then weld about a inch space evenly on the say, web of the I-beam, then I would weld an inch on the outer flange ends, top and bottom and then wrap it around the end of the flange toward the web about an inch. if the web is long, then space the 1 inch welds , say with 3 inchs between....Also there is a technique for straightening I-beam ...heat the outside bow of the flange in a V, and cool with a wet rag ....using a string youcan get them real straight. 30 to 50 footers in some of the big buildings in Jacksonville....was a Marine Hull Repairman in the Army. thanks for the posted detail in this build 1
Old Tue 01 May 2012, 09:03
keithstanley
Just call me: Keith

Flintshire
United Kingdom
Russell, Unfortunately I don't have a MechMate, YET! but I do have the same sort of problem with the garage door height that you have. I just found your post and I was wondering how it turned out in the end. I am going to try the same sort of thing you did and any tips you have learned since you first implemented this mod would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith
Old Wed 02 May 2012, 02:45
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Keith,

The system works very well and cannot complain about it. If I was going to do it all over again I would have made my own tube and not purchased the 4" pvc pipe. This way I could have made it a 5" or 6" square tube and eased the bends in a little better and increased airflow.

All in all I am happy with the way it turned out.

Russell
Old Wed 02 May 2012, 03:26
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Well figured we would do an update. Not a whole lot of cutting going on. The MM is 600 miles away but that will all change Memorial Day weekend. Once I have it all setup I will be cutting like crazy.

I have close to 30 projects lined up but the first one out the door is for my wife and soon to be son. She would like to turn the nursery into a jungle with cartoon figures all over. I think it will be a fun project.

I will post progress and pictures along the way. But in the mean time here is the latest toolbox lid I did. The plaque, coins and wings are all inlayed into the top. The Mountain Dew logo and Helo are V carved. I didnt do the finish work on this but was told the bar topper didnt come out that good. Reason being is a dummy cleaned it with Alcohol before it set up. New owner is going to poor another layer and shine it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (49.7 KB, 1070 views)
File Type: jpg Ez Top (2).JPG (52.2 KB, 1060 views)
Old Wed 02 May 2012, 05:17
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Very nice!
Was coloring the logo difficult?

Good choice of 1st project, must make the wife happy to ensure more future project
Old Thu 03 May 2012, 02:43
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Ken coloring the logo was easy. I use a syringe to place the color into the bottom of the V carve. Take an acid brush dip in the paint and swipe up the sides. Get a clean crisp line and its very quick. Next time I will shoot a video of me doing it so people can see.
Old Sat 12 May 2012, 09:19
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Russell:

Outstanding. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration.

Joe
Old Sat 19 May 2012, 17:13
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Russell,

Your signs look great, nice work.
The colouring adds another dimension, and nice work on the inlays.

Thanks for sharing.
Tony.
Old Tue 22 May 2012, 11:15
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Thanks for the complements guys. Well I was able to spend a few hours cutting out some MDF today. All the Jungle animals will be for my nursery while the Hogs and Airforce Star and Stripes if for another guy.

To give ya an ideal on size the Giraffe is 8ft tall. If you guys dont hear from me in a few weeks its because I am out in the garge sanding and painting.

The first photo is the scene that I want to recreate in the room. I still have to cut out a few monkeys, a snake, and a lot of foliage.
Old Tue 22 May 2012, 13:35
keithstanley
Just call me: Keith

Flintshire
United Kingdom
MDF animals

Russell those animals look GREAT!!!

Where ever did you find the files/images?

I wouldn't mind cutting them for my granddaughter.
Old Tue 22 May 2012, 13:46
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Nice work Russell,

What was your tool of choice in creating the vectors? I'm guessing Aspire?
Old Tue 22 May 2012, 15:20
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Keith, I did a google image search for baby jungle theme. The first photo in the last thread was the actual image. All I did was trace it.

Travis, I dont have Aspire yet but I am using Vcarve. I love how simple it makes everything. I was able to draw and create the tool paths in almost no time.
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 06:55
Axel1966
Just call me: Axel

Paris
France
Very nice cut Russel, the animals are realy cute, my daughter is in love...
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 08:53
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Here is the dxf. file for the animals. I changed the file to a zip, so you will have to rename it in properties to a dxf.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Baby Room.zip (2.64 MB, 138 views)
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 09:17
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell

Share the file if you can. They look great.
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 10:09
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils 1 Post up from yours

If anyone is trying to recreate an exact copy, I used 4x8ft MDF 3/4" thick. I used a 60 degree V bit that was plunged in a 1/4. I used this bit "ON" every line. Then I used a 1/4 Endmill on the outside of the all the animials for the cut out.

Finished up the snake and monkeys today. Here a few more photos and I will have a video later today. Just waiting for it to upload to Youtube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo May 23, 11 39 10 AM (Custom).jpg (48.8 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 23, 11 40 57 AM (Custom).jpg (50.0 KB, 753 views)
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 10:58
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Russell:

Thanks for the photos and file. Great idea. Good work.

Joe
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 11:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If those pics are copyright then you shouldn't be posting traced copies here. The copyright owner can go after the owner of the MechMate website for hosting downloadable copies of their work.
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 13:21
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Gerald and Mike sorry

I dont claim to know copy right laws but I did hunt down the image again. You can download the vector files free from this site. The vectors did not work for me and Vcarve but others experience might be different.

http://www.potatoestomatoes.co.uk/la...like-a-jungle/

here is another site.

http://www.vectorpile.com/vector/fun...nimals-vector/

My problem is it kept saying it was an image file.

Here is a video of a monkey getting cut out and a few leaves.

http://youtu.be/PXrjcU9RQEU
Old Wed 23 May 2012, 23:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Russel, had a look at potatoestomatoes and they don't seem concerned about their copyright at all, so I don't see any problems for MechMate in this case. If that was a Disney scene then it would be a completely different matter.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read