MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Wed 21 July 2010, 08:31
dragonfinder1
Just call me: Dave #49

Astoria, Oregon
United States of America
I think the lure of a serial number is valid, and I think it helps one keep on track during the building process. It's kind of a carrot to help one want to finish the MM.

When we sell where we are now and move into new quarters, probably next summer, I will build another MM as solely as an indexer. I don't think I'll ask for a S/N for that one. I don't have any competition in my area and the other two here are making products I don't want to make anyway. I don't make a living with my MM, it's nice to make enough to pay for the cutters and wood, but I would buy those things anyway.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 08:46
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Brad,

I just don't think it is so important that we have to make a big issue over it. We can agree to disagree - two software guys are never going to agree on every thing.

I am proud of my number 12. Building one of these machines has been one of the best things I did. I wish I was making more money with it.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 18:09
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Out of order Number 13

My official number is 13. But check the build log and you'll see that it should have been number 7 or 8, or something like that. Back then, putting all that effort into the MM build, having a SN was important. Don't ask me why I wanted 13 instead of a lower number. I'm just goofy that way.

Today, I could care less about the SN. I'm having a blast operating the MM and fabricating cool "things". As Gerald always said, he wanted to see a dirty / dusty / MM. Although, with a 3 hp (5 hp peak ) cyclone dust control system, my MM is pretty clean.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 18:48
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
IMHO, skipping serial number is a bad idea... Its like jumping queue... & will get many offended along with this practice...
Building my MM is top my "BEST-THINGS-I-EVER-DID-TO-MY-LIFE-LIST".
Honestly, during the build, earning a serial number seem ever so important, but after a very brief while after I made first dust, I just could not care any lesser. What is really important to me now is this community & my MM making noise in the background while I'm typing this post

#PS, I'd yet to put on the Decal successfully after 5 tries... it is really difficult for me...
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 19:52
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Working towards the serial number was a huge drive for me to work on it 3 times a week. To make it cutting, make it dust and make it work as expected and more!

I think we should continue with the numbers, for a lot of people, as I understand can be the same drive.

For people that don't want a serial, that's fine by me...
For people that do want a serial, they get it in order as they have been given out. No skipping, no picking free numbers. serial=serial+1;

Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 20:46
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I remember a case (or two?) where I read in a thread that a machine had qualified and gave it a number. And then in another thread a few minutes later, saw that another machine had qualified, but the time of the actual post was earlier than that of the first machine. I just gave the next number and hoped that nobody would make an issue.

At my company, we also allocate serial numbers to our products. There we also sometimes fiddle the numbers a bit; If a customer wants 5 identical machines he will get 5 sequential serial numbers, even if all his machines were not built sequentially (we produce a range of models and options).
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 20:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Maybe Mike should sell serial number plates?
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 20:50
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Gerald, what is this.... OLD AGE or what, up so early.
I was called to work at 03:15 and I think THAT is a valid excuse for checking the forum this time of day.
Old Wed 21 July 2010, 20:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Actually, my days of 4am posts are getting fewer. I don't have to worry about checking who finished their MM's while I was sleeping!
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 00:08
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I remember in the days when I did my MM, I was up early checking what happened during the night.Now my MM is nameless because of the competition thing.I had a walk in two days ago trying to set up a cutting service in my area with a 600x1000 machine.If I had my name on it,it would have been a dead give away.Lucky my MM was cutting alu so this oak was so impressed with what I was doing and because of the size of the MM I think he folded his machine up and put it in his pocket and walked out with tail in between his legs.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 05:31
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
..Funny, I once kept track to see if we were going to get to 5000 posts on the counter. It's a few more now!
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 05:37
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
... Funny I count New users every day ...
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 05:51
mrghm
Just call me: Gareth

Syd
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Maybe Mike should sell serial number plates?
i vote for this or even a cut file that can be down loaded and cut by the mechmate once it is up and running.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 06:59
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The numbers seem a bit meaningless to me and our 5 assembled machines are not numbered. I know of a couple of machines that have had decals, been numbered, and then had the decals stripped off to render them incognito, due to fear of competitors building the same equipment. (notice how some photos of members are cropped to avoid showing the empty number space )
To be honest, I have this fear you mention, but I don't want to hide the fact that I have it.

I probably will put the decals just for the fun of having a SN, but my MM will be a iMM, no, not an Apple product, it will be incognito

My drive is not the serial number, its $$$ and I'm already losing, or more accurately, not earning money on cutting jobs not done.

Pablo
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 09:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
When everybody joined this site to be able to download plans, you all agreed to this User Agreement which says:

Use of drawings and data:
The drawings and data can be used for free for personal non-commercial use. The MechMate logo shall be displayed on the completed product and third parties shall be referred to www.mechmate.com for further information. Files downloaded from MechMate shall not be passed to third parties, except for the purpose of procurement of components.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 10:46
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
OK OK

It will be on the machine, but not on a place everyone can see it

Its always the same, when you are honest and sincere it passes almost no time until someone shows you some legal document... kidding!!
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 11:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, "displayed" has the opposite meaning to "hidden"

(Mike can change the User Agreement if he wants to, so do not take my word as the official view of the MechMate "rules".)

As a MM owner, the serial number and/or logo bring nothing to a small busines except for risk of competitors copying what we did. But, one day when you want to sell your MM, you can convince the buyer that he is getting an international product with good support and then the logo and/or serial number can increase the selling price. From the perspective of the owner of the MM.com website (first me, then Mike) it makes sense to insist on the logo because it spreads the word to more people.

However, I clearly detected that I had a conflict of interest with my son - he operates MM's against competitors whose machines were getting cheaper and cheaper. You might have noticed that I stopped giving advice to locals who could become a risk to my son's business - sorry, but blood is thicker than water. I am in the lucky position that I am the only guy that didn't have to agree to the User Agreement before I could use the drawings
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 12:13
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Wow, I am glad I don't live in Cape Town. I am so proud, I have a www.mechmate.com sticker at the back of my truck.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 15:05
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobus_joubert View Post
wow, i am glad i don't live in cape town.
:d:d:d
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 15:28
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pablo,

your competitive advantage is that you are a active member of the forum and gain so much more knowledge that you can already make better products for the same price, and properly even in less time. Making a Mechmate is comparable 'easy' to making money with it, making clients happy and have CNC knowledge to beable to do job fast, correct (no material loss) and accurate as per client request.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 17:16
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by riesvantwisk View Post
Pablo,

your competitive advantage is that you are a active member of the forum and gain so much more knowledge that you can already make better products for the same price, and properly even in less time. Making a Mechmate is comparable 'easy' to making money with it, making clients happy and have CNC knowledge to beable to do job fast, correct (no material loss) and accurate as per client request.
Maybe you are right, I have to think about what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D
However, I clearly detected that I had a conflict of interest with my son - he operates MM's against competitors whose machines were getting cheaper and cheaper. You might have noticed that I stopped giving advice to locals who could become a risk to my son's business - sorry, but blood is thicker than water. I am in the lucky position that I am the only guy that didn't have to agree to the User Agreement before I could use the drawings
Or maybe I'm right not wanting to give info to possible competitors
I know from previous endeavors that the first one/two years you are at risk of being surpassed by competitors or other startups, after that your customer base takes that risk/fear away because lower prices of startups are no longer a concern because customers know the quality of the service/work you provide and choose safety instead of some cash savings.
Old Thu 22 July 2010, 23:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If you drive a smart car and run your business from smart premises with smart equipment, then you look like you are successful at making money and then your competitors want to copy you. It is a simple as that.
Old Fri 23 July 2010, 00:09
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gerald They even use your company name as hit words for their websites with your product being displayed .( some int. decorators and competitors ).It is so true once you have something different than anybody else it is not long then there are some oak copying you.I cut my website and a ref on anything that I do even if it is for a competitor so the client can see who is the actual supplier.
Old Mon 16 August 2010, 14:00
qroger
Just call me: Roger

Matthews (North Carolina)
United States of America
Among the list of qualities Warren Buffet, (successful U.S. Investor) looks for in potential acquisitions is companies with "moats". A brand, a technology or business position, something that would be hard to duplicate that gives them an advantage. For now, it seems this class of cnc machine, and the niche customers that can be persued by the owner operator are part of the MM moat, the other being the effort needed to acquire said MM. I am not sure that at this point, the name itself will bring much business. If however you can turn out work equivalent to that from a $100,000 machine with a machine that cost you $10,000, you have something. Now if you can figure out how to work without sleep during the night, and sell the product during the day, even better. Now if Gerald or Metalhead would hand out plans for the Worlds Coolest Gadget when the serial number went out, that would be something to protect with tooth and claw.

Last edited by qroger; Mon 16 August 2010 at 14:03.. Reason: more stuff.
Old Mon 16 August 2010, 17:54
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I personally like the idea that a person can decided to build the machine and when they show proof that the machine is actually cutting they get a serial number. It is easy to say you are going to build but the proof that you are building and have built is the photo or video that shows that it actual cut some thing and you have a logo.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read