MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 10 July 2010, 04:35
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Formaldehyde substitute ?

Most know there is some serious health risk & issues using formaldehyde glue.
On the other hand, most will agree this is also known as the best hard adhesive, creep free to use for some veneer application !

Not much is known or said about any “as good or better” adhesive that is health approved and could substitute it !?!
Anyone care / can direct us & me as to what can we substitute this with ??
Thanks, Robert
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 06:02
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I dont know how "safe" it is but how about epoxy (Like West System)?
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 20:25
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
MAS epoxy is supposed to be more friendly to the user. You are not supposed to get a sensitivity to it at all. Some other epoxies can trigger a sensitivity to the user over time.
Old Sat 10 July 2010, 22:42
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
As far as I know, there are no successful substitude. Best advise we get is on reducing the exposure by wearing PPE & keep the work space ventilated...
Epoxy glue is my cure-all medicine, it is chemically innards, stick to anything, strong & hold extremely well against UV. It is stronger than the 1/2" marine plywood which I bonded butt to butt. The plywood cracked while the epoxy remain undisturbed... I've still yet to hear/see report of health problem related to it.
The only catch is the price... it will be too expensive for me to use it on veneer...
BTW, what is your intended purpose?
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 03:38
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
My vote is for epoxy - I love the stuff as it is so strong.

Medically, sensitivity is a big issue, so gloves and respirators are a must to avoid the contact and exposure to fumes in the first place.
Epoxy sensitivity was an issue in the surfboard making industry in the early days when they did not manage exposure correctly and after you "turn" even small exposures cause big skin reactions.
Some epoxies do not like to bond plastics so always read your labels and the MSDS to be sure it will stick and how to look after yourself when using it.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 07:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Some plastics are very difficult for any gluing...PE is just about as bad as Teflon when you want something to stick to it.
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 11:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Ya, I'd just did some experiment bonding PE with epoxy, even after rough up the surface, it still a 50/50 chance of success...

I now know why they keep mentioning hot plate when I raise the subject...
Old Sun 11 July 2010, 20:15
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
What are you gluing? If you are veneering I have had good luck with a cross linking PVA Glue
http://www.veneersystems.com/index.p.../id/3/subid/5/
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 04:54
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Justin, I’m veneering large curved areas and do not want to risk long term results with a flexible or possible flexible glue ( PVA or blends).
Best alternative I’ve been using for many yrs on small projects is a commercial liquid fish glue. It has a very long pot life ( few yrs), it has a nice open time ( 20-30min.) but the down side, it goes for +/- 20USD per liter !!.
Another alternative is PRO-GLUE sold by VAC-U-CLAMP.
It still has formaldehyde in it, but in a lesser degree, give & take less than 2%....they claim !!
But all together, hoping to find out an alternative glue, with no formaldehyde and at a “reasonable” price…..less then +/- 75$ a gallon !!
Amicalement, Robert
Old Tue 13 July 2010, 10:04
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Hi Robert,

A urea resin glue? Still formaldehyde.

http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read